Senior Appreciation Charles Perkins #21, RS SR, Became a Jacket on 2/01/09

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Senior Appreciation: http://4te.ch/seniors2014

Mr. Perkins of Lawrenceville, GA was rated as a 3* running back and recruited by Jeff Monken out of Collins Hill in Suwanee, GA. Perkins was the first commit of his class and actually committed before the signing date of the previous class. He also enrolled early in January of 2010 to further demonstrate how much becoming a jacket meant to him.

Perkins was quickly dubbed as the heir apparent to Jonathan Dwyer but a serious shoulder injury slowed down his progression. In fact, Charles was given a chance to simply save his body from further torment and still get his Tech degree by means of a medical disqualification and scholarship. Here is what CPJ had to say about that:

“Charles has a great attitude,” Johnson said earlier this season. “He’s fought back through some really tough injuries. He could’ve felt sorry for himself and just kind of (gone) through the motions. At one point, we gave him the option — the medical staff had said that they felt that the could (disqualify) him medically. I talked to him and his parents (and asked) if he wanted to do that, which he would’ve stayed on scholarship and had everything. But he was determined that he wanted to try to play. He didn’t want to look back 20 years from now and think about how he missed out on a chance. So, he worked hard to rehab. He’s come in, and any success he has, I’m just really happy for him and proud of him because he’s worked hard to get there.”

From the same Gwinnett Daily article on Perkins by David Friedlander we can read what Perkins senior year meant to him:
“It’s been a long road,” the 6-foot, 216-pound running back said. “But it’s a lot of fun to go out like this. It makes (this final season) an awesome experience." “I definitely can’t ask for a better senior season. I’m finally healthy. My role on the team is important this year. I’ve finally gotten an opportunity to do what I came here to do.”

Perkins Career Highs:
Rushing Attempts: 12 at Duke, Nov. 19, 2011
Yards Rushing: 79 at North Carolina, Oct. 18, 2014
Longest Rush: 63 vs. Georgia Southern, Sept. 13, 2014
Rushing Touchdowns: 1, three times, last at Miami, Oct. 5, 2013
Receptions: 1, four times, last at Pitt, Oct. 25, 2014
Receiving Yards: 79 at Pitt, Oct. 25, 2014
Longest Reception: 79 at Pitt, Oct. 25, 2014
All-Purpose Yards: 29 at Duke, Nov. 19, 2011
Kickoff Returns: 1, twice, last at Virginia, Oct. 15, 2011
Kick Return Yards: 24 at Virginia, Oct. 15, 2011
Long Return: 24 at Virginia, Oct. 15, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Some of the many great pics to be found of Perkins online:

perkinsgsu2.jpg

Charles+Perkins+Georgia+Southern+v+Georgia+lu8Iu-u-Tjrl.jpg

Oh yeah, he also married while at Tech!
9189106.jpeg

479eP.AuSt.71.jpeg

Charles+Perkins+Miami+v+Georgia+Tech+hsIv7RfDWAhl.jpg

940x.jpg

charles-perkins-ncaa-football-georgia-tech-georgia-850x560.jpg

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If Synjyn is my #1 favorite this season, then Charles is 1a. Those two guys share many of the same characteristics I posted in my Synjyn thread, and both were "glue guys", leaders in the lockerroom and had infectious personalities. But the biggest trait I love about CP is the one trait Calvin Coolidge hailed most important in successful men: persistence.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Charles Perkins, thank you for daring to persevere.

There was a vid a while back of Charles carrying JT's helmet on the way to practice that just embodies his sense of humility, good humor and love of team. I can't seem to find it. If someone else knows where it is, I'd appreciate it. It should be placed in this thread.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
That is the spirit DCS!

Perkins has great self-awareness as well as recognition of some of the virtues (humility, effort, loyalty) that will make you a success (and happy) in life:

Someone else can explain what is going on in this Vine which Perkins posted on Nov 12, 2013, but at least it shows he also had fun and a sense of play while at Tech:

Here is Perkins preseason to his great Senior year, lots of good info on his health, weight, and preparation going into his swan song year:

A highlight TD reception against Pitt:

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Charles really came through for us his senior year. Great combination of power with speed. I was pleased that he finally got a chance to shine after all he went through earlier in his career.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
One of my favorites. In addition to all the character stuff, he showed fantastic running ability in his Senior year. You knew he'd be getting good yardage if he touched it

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
In a post I submitted
Mr. Perkins of Lawrenceville, GA was rated as a 3* running back and recruited by Jeff Monken out of Collins Hill in Suwanee, GA. Perkins was the first commit of his class and actually committed before the signing date of the previous class. He also enrolled early in January of 2010 to further demonstrate how much becoming a jacket meant to him.

Perkins was quickly dubbed as the heir apparent to Jonathan Dwyer but a serious shoulder injury slowed down his progression. In fact, Charles was given a chance to simply save his body from further torment and still get his Tech degree by means of a medical disqualification and scholarship. Here is what CPJ had to say about that:

“Charles has a great attitude,” Johnson said earlier this season. “He’s fought back through some really tough injuries. He could’ve felt sorry for himself and just kind of (gone) through the motions. At one point, we gave him the option — the medical staff had said that they felt that the could (disqualify) him medically. I talked to him and his parents (and asked) if he wanted to do that, which he would’ve stayed on scholarship and had everything. But he was determined that he wanted to try to play. He didn’t want to look back 20 years from now and think about how he missed out on a chance. So, he worked hard to rehab. He’s come in, and any success he has, I’m just really happy for him and proud of him because he’s worked hard to get there.”

From the same Gwinnett Daily article on Perkins by David Friedlander we can read what Perkins senior year meant to him:
“It’s been a long road,” the 6-foot, 216-pound running back said. “But it’s a lot of fun to go out like this. It makes (this final season) an awesome experience." “I definitely can’t ask for a better senior season. I’m finally healthy. My role on the team is important this year. I’ve finally gotten an opportunity to do what I came here to do.”

Perkins Career Highs:
Rushing Attempts: 12 at Duke, Nov. 19, 2011
Yards Rushing: 79 at North Carolina, Oct. 18, 2014
Longest Rush: 63 vs. Georgia Southern, Sept. 13, 2014
Rushing Touchdowns: 1, three times, last at Miami, Oct. 5, 2013
Receptions: 1, four times, last at Pitt, Oct. 25, 2014
Receiving Yards: 79 at Pitt, Oct. 25, 2014
Longest Reception: 79 at Pitt, Oct. 25, 2014
All-Purpose Yards: 29 at Duke, Nov. 19, 2011
Kickoff Returns: 1, twice, last at Virginia, Oct. 15, 2011
Kick Return Yards: 24 at Virginia, Oct. 15, 2011
Long Return: 24 at Virginia, Oct. 15, 2011

In a post I submitted prior to CP's first spring practice.....Post senior season ajc top 50 had him the BEST RB in the state that year with our overall class having 9 of the top 50 players in the state, not a bad class!!!

This is one of the reasons why I am very optomistic about Charles Perkins (Collins Hill). He is the most underated 3 star player I have seen. I've posted this several times, but for those who don't know, Charles was the fourth best player in the state and TOP RB per this post senior season Top 50 list. FWIW, 9 of the top 50 were in this class, that IMO, was also very underated.
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2010/01/08/ajc-top-50-list-reveals-best-of-best-in-georgia/
The proof in the pudding starts this Monday....
Didn't mean to 'hi-jack' the thread but it just seems really SLOW around here.....

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I met Charles at the ACC Championship game and saw him again at the Orange Bowl. This young man is a class act!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I feel like our team's no quit character comes from guys like Perk. So happy and grateful he had a terrific year. Looking forward to seeing what this special young man ends up doing.

It's great to be a yellow jacket!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It is so great to hear about these young men and the character they poses. It is too bad a statistic for blocking cannot be shown. Our backs don't play unless they can block and it is blocking that is fundamental to the success of a running based offense. Charles was a leading blocker this year and will be missed. The new guys have to step up and be able to block if we are to have success in 2015.