Changes to CFB recruiting rules

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why exactly? What I see is that now there will be two signing periods and the accompanying angst and recruiting and counter recruiting, and that those "committed" to a program may wait until the second period to actually sign, leading to even more pirating of committed players. What is the benefit I miss?
Those who sign in December will no longer be fair game for other schools to try to flip

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Why exactly? What I see is that now there will be two signing periods and the accompanying angst and recruiting and counter recruiting, and that those "committed" to a program may wait until the second period to actually sign, leading to even more pirating of committed players. What is the benefit I miss?
(1) Grey shirting addressed, which may give others (like us) a shot a players that might not otherwise be available; i.e., reduces 'stockpiling' by factory schools; (2) for players who are ready to commit early, let 'em - will reduce the 'drama'/expense of a drawn out recruiting cycle for those who are ready early.... for those who are not ready, no big deal - no change; (3) 10th coach (see PJ's comments in AJC) - CFB has lowest coach-to-player ratio; this helps address.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Those who sign in December will no longer be fair game for other schools to try to flip

I believe this is one of those deals where unintended consequences may rear it's head.

I have felt CPJ was always favoring an early signing period while assuming the rest of the recruiting system would remain static. The difference now is that some players may flip earlier instead of later. The intensity in recruiting will not change. IIRC, recruits flipping has not been much of an issue for us the last few years. IDK.

The real question is how will this help GT get better S/As? Time will tell.

One, potentially, bad thing possible is the adding of a 10th FT Asst coach. We are not as competitive now with our biggest rivals as we need to be in this area. Without more $ from the school and fans we will be further behind the 8 ball.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I did not explain myself well. What I was trying to get at was that any kid who might be committed to Sante Fe Polyurethane U. for instance, but did not sign, then would have opened up the recruiting all over again. I can see that happening with recruits all over the country as universities look at who didn't sign but was committed and then try to match those available with their needs, and go helter skelter after them. I can see a scrum out there.

I believe this is one of those deals where unintended consequences may rear it's head.

I have felt CPJ was always favoring an early signing period while assuming the rest of the recruiting system would remain static. The difference now is that some players may flip earlier instead of later. The intensity in recruiting will not change. IIRC, recruits flipping has not been much of an issue for us the last few years. IDK.

The real question is how will this help GT get better S/As? Time will tell.

One, potentially, bad thing possible is the adding of a 10th FT Asst coach. We are not as competitive now with our biggest rivals as we need to be in this area. Without more $ from the school and fans we will be further behind the 8 ball.
One notable flip was Brendan Douglas to the mutts, but as it turned out we probably came out ahead there. His only claim to fame thus far is single handedly losing the Vandy game 3 years ago :D

Animal02

Banned
Should help. Not clear on the greyshirting changes.
"The legislation limits to 25 the number of prospects whose aid is initially offered in the fall term of an academic year. Before, rules limited to 25 the number of prospects allowed to sign from Dec. 1 through May 31. This portion of the changes will affect newcomers in the 2018 signing class."

Sounds to me like a school can OFFER a maximum of 25. No longer offer 30, sign 25, and tell the rest to wait till next year.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
"The legislation limits to 25 the number of prospects whose aid is initially offered in the fall term of an academic year. Before, rules limited to 25 the number of prospects allowed to sign from Dec. 1 through May 31. This portion of the changes will affect newcomers in the 2018 signing class."

Sounds to me like a school can OFFER a maximum of 25. No longer offer 30, sign 25, and tell the rest to wait till next year.

No way the limit is on offers. You can offer 1000 but you can only sign 25. I'm trying to figure out how the sec will get around this.