Changes Afoot at Georgia Tech Spring Practice

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Agreed - sounds like Oliver isn't as one-dim as we saw last year. The QB Battle will be fun to watch this spring.
I think the thing that made QBs look so much worse at passing in CPJs offense was the fact that they did their drop backs opposite of their handedness. For example, right handed QBs would open up to their left, drop back, and do a 180 degree turn at the top of their drop back. This was by design by CPJ to keep confusion on the field for the defense because you don't read pass right from the start cause it looks like the start of an option play. From my observation, this seemed to limit the QBs ability to read the defense as they were dropping back. Combine that with our usually poor pass protection, and by the time the QB got turned around ready to read the defense, he was already getting pressured.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So much, I think, for the "Oliver at WR" meme around here, though time will tell.

All of our QBs were really good at the position in high school. Oliver was called on to run more then Graham or Johnson, but they are all right decent country football players.

As to the "high energy" stuff: this is a shotgun spread we are talking about here. Paul's TO was much more complex (fewer plays, yes, but different execution at multiple positions from down to down) and demanded teaching practices emphasizing discipline during plays. This is one reason why a shotgun spread is the real high school offense; it's easier to coach and easier to learn. And easier to have fun with, I bet.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well I love CPJs offense but there are a lot of challenges with it in having an effective passing game. The greatest threat is pressure which often got to the QB before there was even a chance to look downfield much less complete a pass. Of course, having wide splits, OL in 3 point stances and used to drive blocking, QB under center and nearly always needing to sell play action before getting a chance to see the field are adding degrees of difficulty we won't have to face now all the time. The "upside" of CPJs system is getting guys in single coverage, but we weren't going to get the ball out quickly so the only way to use that advantage is in deep routes / comebacks. That's great but a lot of things have to go right to connect on that advantage.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Thank god they’re letting the players control the music. No more 80’s hairband music at games.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Well I love CPJs offense but there are a lot of challenges with it in having an effective passing game. The greatest threat is pressure which often got to the QB before there was even a chance to look downfield much less complete a pass. Of course, having wide splits, OL in 3 point stances and used to drive blocking, QB under center and nearly always needing to sell play action before getting a chance to see the field are adding degrees of difficulty we won't have to face now all the time. The "upside" of CPJs system is getting guys in single coverage, but we weren't going to get the ball out quickly so the only way to use that advantage is in deep routes / comebacks. That's great but a lot of things have to go right to connect on that advantage.

PJ's system definitely overly-complicated passing the football. Your bolded is spot-on. I'm admittedly optimistic here but I think that our OL will adjust quicker to the new scheme than many are expecting/predicting. I think PJ's blocking schemes were a bit more complicated to learn and adjust to and I don't think our OL will have as many issues shedding that old system as we think.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The pocket presence drill looks cool with the GT cut outs

9C215935-E69A-4DA0-9B2A-AADF557D012E.jpeg
C3A8DE73-3F28-439D-917E-6139658E85A5.jpeg

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
They are making progress for sure. Will need to win to keep it going. Would help if uga could slow down a bit.

Ideally they ride high through most of the season until we smash them in Nov, then they begin their decline back to the gutter with UF/UT/whoever taking control in the division to coincide with our locking down the Coastal. That’d be glorious!