Chan Gailey hired by Jets...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have never understood his reputation as a coach. I have nothing against the man and wish him well but he is not someone I wanted Tech to hire and he is not anyone I would ever want on staff if I was trying to revive a program. Again, I am not trying to put him down I would just like to hear some comments from others who might shed light on his gifts and abilities as a coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chan has always done pretty well when in an OC only capacity (think Pittsburgh, KC, Miami). However, when elevated to HC, you kinda get the Peter Priniciple with him.

That said, he's actually done OK as a HC outside of Buffalo Bills...and no one has done anything with the Bills since Marv Levy.

slugboy

Staff member
He did some innovative things--bold for the NFL at the time--at Pittsburgh with Kordell Stewart--that put NFL defenses on their heels. Since then, as far as I've seen, he's been extremely conventional, and I don't know why he had that one window of creativity and risk-taking in his career.

It was the Pittsburgh Chan Gailey I wanted for GT, but it was the Dallas Cowboys one we had.

I wish him well at the Jets. He seemed like a decent person here at GT, but he just wasn't the coach that Tech needed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He did some innovative things--bold for the NFL at the time--at Pittsburgh with Kordell Stewart--that put NFL defenses on their heels. Since then, as far as I've seen, he's been extremely conventional, and I don't know why he had that one window of creativity and risk-taking in his career.

It was the Pittsburgh Chan Gailey I wanted for GT, but it was the Dallas Cowboys one we had.

I believe he was the first to implement the Pistol in the NFL for KC. Turned a scrub FA QB into a pretty serviceable guy in Tyler Thigpen.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015...g-you-need-to-know-about-chan-gaileys-offense

The funny thing about Gailey is his willingness to experiment as an OC, but how conservative he gets as an HC. One of the things people in NFL circles respect about Gailey is how he can get production out of guys most people wouldn't look twice at. We saw some of it here with his low rate classes that were later rated pretty high after the players' careers were over.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Heard Jerry Jones say Gailey the best personnel evaluator he had seen at that time in FB. Remember Gailey himself saying when talking about recruiting at GT, "rather than being good recruiters, they would be good evaluators" and I think he did just that, but he had a real problem with offense with the cowboys and with us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Heard Jerry Jones say Gailey the best personnel evaluator he had seen at that time in FB. Remember Gailey himself saying when talking about recruiting at GT, "rather than being good recruiters, they would be good evaluators" and I think he did just that, but he had a real problem with offense with the cowboys and with us.

Not gonna happen...but I would LOVE for Gailey to come back to GT as like a director of personnel scouting HS talent for us after he his time with the Jets. Has a great eye for talent...something a place like GT needs given our obvious constraints.

He could probably make a good living as a director of scouting for some team.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

i agree with that, he found a bunch of diamonds in the rough while at GT

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I am talking about specific play when JJohnson was left alone on backside of play. Reggie was looking Calvin all the way. Everyone around us in upper deck saw it and groaned.
I still hate the reverse call on 4th down also.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot of difference in the two sports. The NFL is out scheming the other guy, because you both have talent. CFB is recruiting and keeping the motivation high. The steady emotional x and o older guys make great coordinators and HC's. Could you imagine a John Fox in the college game?