Champions classic

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@travgt01
Thought it's on Chicago, in Atlanta in 2024.

Yeppers, in Chicago.

ESPN Events’ State Farm Champions Classic season-opening college basketball event featuring Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Michigan State is set to be played at the United Center in Chicago on Nov. 14, 2023.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How does this get no local press coverage. Just realized this was in Atl halfway through the unc-uk game.
On the red-eye from Seattle to Chicago last night I sat next to the guy that was responsible for promoting the game. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm a huge college basketball fan and that I had no idea there was a high level double-header in Atlanta today. Epic fail.

The guy last night said it was in Atlanta at State Farm Arena, where the Hawks play. I weirdly misunderstood him if it was actually in Chicago. The guy said they were laying over and headed straight to Atlanta.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I was surprised, as I was watching on TV, to see that it was being played in Atlanta. Nevertheless, despite our perception of poor marketing, the game appeared to be pretty well attended. Certainly WAY better attendance than our matchup against Penn State in the hallowed Madison Square Garden, which appeared to be basically empty from watching on TV. I realize UNC vs UK is a premier draw and both teams have mega diehard fanbases, so that explains the difference. That game basically promoted itself.