CGC on 680 this AM

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I never put that much weight behind the “I’m getting calls from other coaches wanting to come”. Now that temple went outside the program to hire MD, I would guess that just about all the temple staff is coming with him.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Coach Collins was on 680 this morning. Great interview! Talks about recruiting, filling staff (said he would name his staff after the signing day and it looks like he's bringing a lot of people from Temple), his respect for CPJ etc.

Here's the link for it: https://omny.fm/shows/cellini-and-dimino/geoff-collins-new-georgia-tech-head-football-coach
I heard most of it live. I didn't see/hear the hiring announcement press conference but I'm pretty optimistic from what I heard this morning. He sounds sincere about GT and perhaps that will translate into good things in the years to come.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would have loved to see Sewak put a DE at OT to truck those fast safeties. Of course we would were thin at DE.

GC said we have 13 rb and most teams have 5 . I think I remember the discussion that since we don't use TE it's not a bad imbalance. As we transition can some of these guys become key parts of special teams or are they not quick or big enough. ??

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Would have loved to see Sewak put a DE at OT to truck those fast safeties. Of course we would were thin at DE.

GC said we have 13 rb and most teams have 5 . I think I remember the discussion that since we don't use TE it's not a bad imbalance. As we transition can some of these guys become key parts of special teams or are they not quick or big enough. ??

I wonder if some can move to receiver and maybe some to DB/safety. Some will probably go elsewhere.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
GC said we have 13 rb and most teams have 5 .
Which is a kind of weird thing to say.
UGA has 10.
Alabama has 8
Clemson has 9
Oklahoma has 7
Notre Dame has 8
Duke has 9
Washington state has 5

His Temple team has 6.

"Most teams have 5 maybe 6" seems incorrect when the only team with five or six I was able to find was an Air Raid team and his team. I am sure there are more, examples, but these were the first teams I searched.

Considering our 13 "running backs" include players that played WR in high school and play in the slot, I don't really think this is a big deal. If I were him I would actually be playing up the fact that our BB position is the only one that translate to the normal running back position, and we do not have 5-6 of those. Saying we have 8-10 slot players that need to find a home would be much more accurate.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think early signing day is for those who decide to go ahead and sign early, while others who haven’t decided by then can wait until the February (final) signing day. I think the LOI is valid for both dates.

If I’m wrong, perhaps someone who knows can please correct me.
Correct... but although called "day" they're actually signing periods.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
So how should I feel about bringing a bunch of Temple staff?

It seems like GT ought to be able to gather coaches better than Temple can, especially if the coach doesn't have a particular strategy that makes working with his protegees attractive. If that's true, I haven't heard Coach explain it.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't think it's a big deal. All these guys are athletes, and while it might be harder for someone like Krivonte to play WR, it probably isn't a stretch to have Nate Cottrell play in the slot. Watch what the frontside WR's do on inverted veer and tell me that isn't any different than what the A-Backs do now when they load.

Now TE might be a tougher fill ...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Which is a kind of weird thing to say.
UGA has 10.
Alabama has 8
Clemson has 9
Oklahoma has 7
Notre Dame has 8
Duke has 9
Washington state has 5

His Temple team has 6.

"Most teams have 5 maybe 6" seems incorrect when the only team with five or six I was able to find was an Air Raid team and his team. I am sure there are more, examples, but these were the first teams I searched.

Considering our 13 "running backs" include players that played WR in high school and play in the slot, I don't really think this is a big deal. If I were him I would actually be playing up the fact that our BB position is the only one that translate to the normal running back position, and we do not have 5-6 of those. Saying we have 8-10 slot players that need to find a home would be much more accurate.

Are all those guys from georgie and bama on scholarship? Cause CGC was talking about scholarship guys. Not doubting, just double-checking ...

... for a friend

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Are all those guys from georgie and bama on scholarship? Cause CGC was talking about scholarship guys. Not doubting, just double-checking ...

... for a friend
Great question. I am not sure how I could verify that. I will see what I can do when I get some free time from work.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

... for a friend
I honestly misunderstood that it was specifically scholarship, and the 5-6 number does play in much closer. Oklahoma is the only one out of UGA, Duke, Bama, and Notre Dame that has more than six. I don't feel the need to go any further. I will trust the six number at face value for scholarships.

I still stand my point that counting ABs as "running backs" does not capture the picture as the majority of them would not have played running back in most other offenses. Our BBs would personally be what I counted as the BB is our feature back.

Thanks for questioning me @AE 87 , I learned something.