CGB

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am expecting CGB to be the most impactful of the FR.
He has a couple of things in his favor.
First off, he is older. He is a full yr older than Josh O (Josh is extremely young for his class).
Second, playing at Brewster last year meant playing with and against alot of high level players.
He's also the most versatile of the incoming FR. Good shooter, great defender.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am expecting CGB to be the most impactful of the FR.
He has a couple of things in his favor.
First off, he is older. He is a full yr older than Josh O (Josh is extremely young for his class).
Second, playing at Brewster last year meant playing with and against alot of high level players.
He's also the most versatile of the incoming FR. Good shooter, great defender.
It will be interesting to see how the rotation at the 2/3 slots begin the season. I expect he will certainly be in the mix more as the season progresses. But Alston, Jackson, and JO have a lot more experience.

This is the rotation I expect to see in November:

1= Moore/Alvarado
2/3 = Okogie/Jackson/Alston/Haywood
4/5 = Lammers/AD/Cole/Ogbonda/Wright

Alston could be the starter if CJP wants Jackson coming off the bench again this season. I agree with your greater point though. Haywood should become a starter at some time, and it could be sooner rather than later. I think an interesting question will be which player sits when that happens.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how the rotation at the 2/3 slots begin the season. I expect he will certainly be in the mix more as the season progresses. But Alston, Jackson, and JO have a lot more experience.

This is the rotation I expect to see in November:

1= Moore/Alvarado
2/3 = Okogie/Jackson/Alston/Haywood
4/5 = Lammers/AD/Cole/Ogbonda/Wright

Alston could be the starter if CJP wants Jackson coming off the bench again this season. I agree with your greater point though. Haywood should become a starter at some time, and it could be sooner rather than later. I think an interesting question will be which player sits when that happens.

I also think youre going to see Okogie spend some time at the 4 especially in zone situations given his wingspan, and we can put Jax and Haywood on the wings. Thats a nice shooting lineup.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To be honest, I'm probably as excited to see Curt play as I am anyone.

He'll quickly become a fan favorite with the GT fan base. In a sense, he is a throwback player. By that I mean, he's not flashy, great team player, does all the little things, and most importantly, plays good defense. Coaches will always find minutes for those types of players, and when that player is capable of knocking down trey's at a high %, they become even more important. Personally, I think he sees the court early and often.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To be honest, I'm probably as excited to see Curt play as I am anyone.

He'll quickly become a fan favorite with the GT fan base. In a sense, he is a throwback player. By that I mean, he's not flashy, great team player, does all the little things, and most importantly, plays good defense. Coaches will always find minutes for those types of players, and when that player is capable of knocking down trey's at a high %, they become even more important. Personally, I think he sees the court early and often.
That would be great.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I also think youre going to see Okogie spend some time at the 4 especially in zone situations given his wingspan, and we can put Jax and Haywood on the wings. Thats a nice shooting lineup.
I agree, but we need AD or Cole to be able to play significant minutes at the 4. Too many teams have too much size at that position. And it compromises JO's skills and strengths. If Haywood is good enough to drive JO to the 4, I think the push will be at the 2 instead. At least, I hope so. We need AD or Cole to log lots of minutes.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree, but we need AD or Cole to be able to play significant minutes at the 4. Too many teams have too much size at that position. And it compromises JO's skills and strengths. If Haywood is good enough to drive JO to the 4, I think the push will be at the 2 instead. At least, I hope so. We need AD or Cole to log lots of minutes.

You looking past Moses Wright? I've now had a couple of people tell me that he has looked great in practice. At the risk of inflating expectations, I'll leave it at that, but it sounds like we are in for a pleasant surprise this year at the 4.

If you ask me, a rotation of Ben/Vester @ C and Moses Wright/AD at the 4 will be formidable. Should be really tough on the boards and defensively with all that wingspan.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I don’t completely agree but I see what you’re saying. Jay Wright has been playing ball handling undersized 4s that can stretch the floor forever and I think it’s a great brand of basketball, and clearly effective. Anytime you can put your 5 most talented guys on the floor I’m in favor of it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You looking past Moses Wright? I've now had a couple of people tell me that he has looked great in practice. At the risk of inflating expectations, I'll leave it at that, but it sounds like we are in for a pleasant surprise this year at the 4.

If you ask me, a rotation of Ben/Vester @ C and Moses Wright/AD at the 4 will be formidable. Should be really tough on the boards and defensively with all that wingspan.
Somehow Wright has migrated from being a project player who might not play this year to being a potential starter. All without logging a single minute of play. The transition to college is not easy for big guys who are still developing the strength to play inside at that level. It will be wonderful if all those stories of Wright's progress are true. But don't bet next year's tuition on it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Somehow Wright has migrated from being a project player who might not play this year to being a potential starter. All without logging a single minute of play. The transition to college is not easy for big guys who are still developing the strength to play inside at that level. It will be wonderful if all those stories of Wright's progress are true. But don't bet next year's tuition on it.

Couple of things here:

Did you ever hear the staff say that he was a project player who might red-shirt? They felt good enough about his talent level to offer him a scholarship. Perhaps he has taken-off since arriving on campus.

Regarding his position/role:
- He will need to adjust to the physicality of the college level, but he's not going to be playing inside in the traditional manner.
- He's not a banger. Think a bigger version of Q.

Expectations -
- I'm sure that if you told people this time last year that Ben Lammers would be named second-team All-ACC and the conference Defensive Player of the Year, you might have been laughed out of the room.
- To a lesser degree, did any of the experts see Josh O being what he was last year?

Again, I'm not saying that we should expect that level of production from MW, but it wouldn't be a shock if he was a day 1 starter and key piece of the rotation for us. At the end of the day, I'm passing along what I have heard from people that I know are close to the team or have watched practices. It just seemed odd that mentioned we need to be able to count on Cole (whose also developing and never played a minute at the college level) to log heavy minutes, but don't mention MW.