CFP methodology - Hate it or HATE it?

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No, it's not settled on the field. It's settled by a select few opinions of what they see on the field, NOT ACTUAL RESULTS. Limiting the field of the playoffs to actual Champions is the only way to settle it with onfield results.
This is where we just disagree. No right or wrong. I think that those opinions are formed by the regular season. You build your case all year. The debate really only comes into play with that 4th spot as of now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is where we just disagree. No right or wrong. I think that those opinions are formed by the regular season. You build your case all year. The debate really only comes into play with that 4th spot as of now.
What? All 4 spots are based on opinion. The committee picks the spots based on their opinions. Conference champs are weighed as criteria but they are not prereqs. Win your conference or shut up, I say.

Let the committee decide the seeding if anything.

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The reason I said only the 4th spot is because we all know that the first three were solid. I'd imagine in most years that's going to the case.

Look I get why you think the way you do. I'm not saying that it's wrong or that I'm right. I'm going to watch ball either way. I just am not of the opinion that the committee is so totally biased or incapable of doing a good job. I think that they really do want to get it right. I think they did that this year and that's all we have to go from.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The reason I said only the 4th spot is because we all know that the first three were solid.
Still not quite following you here. I thought you were about letting the results on the field from the season determine the picks, yet the only undefeated team was not given the top seeding. They certainly ended up being right by picking Ohio State for the playoff but the seeding of each team seemed based more on revenue considerations than anything. I thought they did a crappy job with the match ups and who played in what venue. But, as you said, we can agree to disagree about this.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
That's the thing that I don't get. They do settle it on the field. During the regular season. That one of the things that makes college football so much better than the NFL. Every game counts. The debate between one or two teams getting in that last spot is not worth changing what's made college ball great.

If that were true than there is no way tOSU jumps TCU for the 4th spot. In what world other than the delusional SEleCtion Committee's is a 2 TD loss to VPI seen as less troublesome than a FG loss to Baylor who was #6 when TCU got jumped?

The closest we come to having an on-the-field determination between TCU and tOSU is their common opponent in Minnesota:

TCU(h) 30 Minn 7
tOSU 31 Minn(h) 24

Looks like TCU's D was much better than tOSU's and the O's were nearly equal. Unless you are going to give 17 points to Minn for TCU's home field advantage, on paper the choice should be TCU. It should also be noted that if the home field advantage is that much of a factor, then tOSU's loss to VPI at home should have been "worse" and TCU's loss to Baylor at Baylor should be mitigated.

If the end result justify the means (tOSU beating Alabama and Oregon) why wouldn't TCU have been able to do the same? TCU crushed Ole Miss, who beat Alabama. Anything is possible.

Of course, the Committee could have "kept it real": They could have simply announced that the teams with the most wins would be "in" or that only conference champions would be "in". But they didn't. What they did was give us a BS story about what their process was so in the end they could maximize ESPN's television audience.

In my OP, I pointed out how the league commissioners don't want to change anything as they deemed the changes to the BCS formula's as something that delegitimized the BCS process. IMO, this first year of the CFP is a clear cut failure; returning us to the days when reputation and style points counted more than the games. A change is required to legitimize the process outside of the room where the commissioners met.

@SouthernJacket you may be satisfied with the 2014 final four, obviously I was not. To be clear, there was no way I ever thought that GT should have been in the conversation without being undefeated or a one loss ACC Champion. So my opinion has nothing to do with gold colored glasses. Oregon and Alabama should never have been ranked ahead of F$U and TCU (or Baylor) should have been "in" over tOSU.

The games now count less - certainly less than the opinions of the Committee members.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Still not quite following you here. I thought you were about letting the results on the field from the season determine the picks, yet the only undefeated team was not given the top seeding. They certainly ended up being right by picking Ohio State for the playoff but the seeding of each team seemed based more on revenue considerations than anything. I thought they did a crappy job with the match ups and who played in what venue. But, as you said, we can agree to disagree about this.
I agree Stinger. IMO revenue gets involved and fan base considerations. The other divisions have always had a 16 team playoff and D1 would make a lot of money also doing this. But IMO it is all about who controls the money and I believe that is the ESPN and the SEC. If the SEC is not in the championship game both loose alot of money. So Southern I think we are playing right in to their hands when we settle for the committee stuff. It's better than what we had. A compromise of sorts to hold off the playoff crowd for a while longer but the fans deserve a true playoff. You bet I'll watch either way.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
C'mon guys! I'm with Dressedcheese and Clyde on this. The Selection process, by definition, is subjective. period. Clyde made the case with Osu as his example. I will go with fsu (but I am lazier than Clyde and will be brief). No one can deny that "style" points came heavily into play with fsu's rankings. No way an undefeated p5 team should DROP in the rankings. Cfp selection is closer to ice skating, where style points matter, than to a true playoff determined only by results on the field.

Johnny Cochran couldn't defend this. In this case, the glove fits....

Animal02

Banned

"Building a case" i.e. running up the score. Win your conference......play for the NC, and take the "building a case" out of the equation

jowyarts

Georgia Tech Fan
Do what CPJ says to do. Don't rank any teams until after the fifth game of the season! After they played a few games in their division, we might see how they really play! That's gives all teams a better shot at being ranked.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
Do what CPJ says to do. Don't rank any teams until after the fifth game of the season! After they played a few games in their division, we might see how they really play! That's gives all teams a better shot at being ranked.
To be fair, the committee didn't rank teams until mid season.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
To be clear, CPJ was speaking about not having any rankings until later in the season:

Paul Johnson said:
“I think that’s one of the silly things that people try to do before the season starts. Truthfully, if it were me, I wouldn’t even have a poll until late September or early October.”

“And the other thing that happens is I think it gives people a false sense. When you preseason rank a bunch of teams and they’re all up in the top 10 or top 15 and then they start beating each other, nobody ever falls because you say they’re losing to top-10 or top-15 teams. If you waited until the end of September or October, they probably wouldn’t be ranked there to begin with.”

Why:
Paul Johnson said:
“If you can tell me how you’re going to gauge 18-to-22 year olds – well, I don’t know how they’re going from day-to-day, much less year-to-year, I think it would make far more sense (to wait).”

NOTE: It is statements like this that are going to kill CPJ's ability to get an E$PN job when he retires from coaching. :rolleyes: