CFP Going to 8?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Should have been 8 to begin with. Conference Champ from each P5, then 3 at large. 2 teams would play 2 extra games and 2 team would play 1 extra game compared to last years system.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
4 teams was such a total crock. I really do not understand who truly has control of this nonsense. I always hear "its the bowl games" and that "they" have so much influence and money involved. But who are the "they"? Local chambers of commerce, state politicians and city councils or something?

The decision making process behind college football at the highest classification is very befuddling.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes! Five power conferences + four team playoff = musical chairs (and worse if a certain conference manages to get two of the spot).

I like the suggestions about there being 8 with the five power conference champions and three at large.

Animal02

Banned
4 teams was such a total crock. I really do not understand who truly has control of this nonsense. I always hear "its the bowl games" and that "they" have so much influence and money involved. But who are the "they"? Local chambers of commerce, state politicians and city councils or something?

The decision making process behind college football at the highest classification is very befuddling.

You either maintain the bowl game tradition and abandon the "playoff" idea......or you go all in with playoffs and abandon bowl games completely.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
Since the ACC, SEC, B1G and Pac-12 have conference championship games, those four winners should be in an 8-team playoff. In the BIG 12 they all play each other, so the regular season champ gets in (if there is a tie go head to head). Then you take two G-5 teams, based on records and SOS. Add one wild card and base the pairings on BCS-style formula. Play the first four then semis in a "bowl game" rotation...i.e. Sugar, Cotton, Rose, Orange, Chick-fil-A, Fiesta and then the national championship in a big top.

IMO you could also drop about 15 bowl games where the .500 teams play and have the other 15 or so for 2nd-4th place conference finishers as a lead in to the playoffs.

Or, go the way of the FBS, Division 2 and 3 and totally eliminate the bowl games and have a 24-team playoff with the top eight getting first round byes.

Just more ramblings here from an old man.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You either maintain the bowl game tradition and abandon the "playoff" idea......or you go all in with playoffs and abandon bowl games completely.

Off the top of my head I disagree. Possibly use some of the bowls to set up the playoffs - as is already being done - and leave the rest to teams that met the requirements and are chosen. Still lots of $' in bowls for teams and leagues.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck

They are local rich guys with connections. They get paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars to "run" a once a year event. Nice gig if you can be entitled to it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Im all for the 8 team play-off, but the idea behind the 4 team play-off is to give the top 2 teams a shot at the championship. If your ranked 5th then you had no chance in hell in getting in on the old system.

Animal02

Banned
Off the top of my head I disagree. Possibly use some of the bowls to set up the playoffs - as is already being done - and leave the rest to teams that met the requirements and are chosen. Still lots of $' in bowls for teams and leagues.

With an expanded playoff.......bowl interest will drop like a rock to the public.....TV is was drives the bowls these days.....not fans attending the games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My bowl interest dropped like a rock about 15 years ago. I have not watched an entire bowl game, except for Tech, in years.
Wow, now that you mention it. I remember back in the day when you had to have more than one TV set up so that you did not miss any of the bowl games. That seems like centuries ago now. When I watch a game today I usually am doing something else at the same time because I cannot stand the endless commercials. Very little fun to watch most games any more. I skip 95% of them.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Should have been 8 to begin with. Conference Champ from each P5, then 3 at large. 2 teams would play 2 extra games and 2 team would play 1 extra game compared to last years system.
Or just put the top 8 SEC teams in the rotation and call it a day.

Animal02

Banned
Wow, now that you mention it. I remember back in the day when you had to have more than one TV set up so that you did not miss any of the bowl games. That seems like centuries ago now. When I watch a game today I usually am doing something else at the same time because I cannot stand the endless commercials. Very little fun to watch most games any more. I skip 95% of them.
Remember back in the day where they actually showed the entire game.......pregame and halftime as well? Instead of cutting in with the ball already teed up to kick and cutting away as the clock hits zero at the half.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Money,money,money and "if a bit is good ,a lot is great" hmmmm--- academics/students ,we don't need no stinking academics/students

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Thats usually because of the dumbass matchups they come up with. The good teams rarely play one another. They dont attempt to make interesting pairings. With the playoff system being expanded... it would create a ton of interest in the games. Bowls are a dime a dozen now days... BORING.