CFP Expansion

Jmonty71

Banned
I saw they tabled whether to expand the CFP. I have no faith that they will do the right thing and expand to 8. In a way.... I really want Oregon, Michigan and Cincinnati to run the table. Just to push pressure on the committee. We ALL know if Bama beats the Mutts, they will both in....just because SEC. An undefeated Cincy could be screwed. Its sad that you can clearly see that the NCAA isn't interested in fairness. They are only interested in money.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s going to 12. Money always wins. And in this case money brings more fairness.
It seems the alliance conference members are against 12 since the SEC is expanding and it would like to put 6 teams in it every year. The alliance is pushing 8 teams with six automatic qualifiers (P5 champs + highest rated group of 5) and two at larges. SEC of course doesn’t want it because that pretty much only guarantees them two spots for a soon to be 16 team mega-conference. The alliance also wants it to go to market for bid.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems the alliance conference members are against 12 since the SEC is expanding and it would like to put 6 teams in it every year. The alliance is pushing 8 teams with six automatic qualifiers (P5 champs + highest rated group of 5) and two at larges. SEC of course doesn’t want it because that pretty much only guarantees them two spots for a soon to be 16 team mega-conference. The alliance also wants it to go to market for bid.
8 is the right number. Only adds 1 game beyond what we have now, includes all P5 conference Champs and 3 at large. If you win your conference, you're in. If your Cincinnati (or UCF a couple years ago), you're in. It keeps ND's hopes alive and gives the uGa's of the world a back way in if something strange happens (top player out with Covid for example).

12 is too many and makes it less valuable to win your conference. You would have 3 loss teams getting in because they are SEC and 1 loss big 12 left out

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I saw they tabled whether to expand the CFP. I have no faith that they will do the right thing and expand to 8. In a way.... I really want Oregon, Michigan and Cincinnati to run the table. Just to push pressure on the committee. We ALL know if Bama beats the Mutts, they will both in....just because SEC. An undefeated Cincy could be screwed. Its sad that you can clearly see that the NCAA isn't interested in fairness. They are only interested in money.
Anything the NCAA has to say on the subject is irrelevant.

Jmonty71

Banned
Anything the NCAA has to say on the subject is irrelevant.
I disagree. I think the NCAA is in the background pulling strings. The ADs on the committee represent the schools and only the schools? Conferences are involved and the NCAA, as a whole are involved. I'm pretty sure that the NCAA gets part of the money made. So anyone connected monetary wise has a say.. NCAA, ESPN, SEC, ACC, the list goes on. When money is involved, things get a lot more messier. That's where I'm going with that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I disagree. I think the NCAA is in the background pulling strings. The ADs on the committee represent the schools and only the schools? Conferences are involved and the NCAA, as a whole are involved. I'm pretty sure that the NCAA gets part of the money made. So anyone connected monetary wise has a say.. NCAA, ESPN, SEC, ACC, the list goes on. When money is involved, things get a lot more messier. That's where I'm going with that.

The conferences and the TV networks will decide this with little to no input from the NCAA.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Go to 8 first and see how it goes
It may very well go to 8 first. But then it will quickly go to 12 then into the 20’s. It is inevitable. No different than going from 0 to 2 then 4 then to whatever is next. The alliance is an illusion and was an emotional reaction from conferences getting their pants pulled down by the SEC. It’s a way for those conferences to pretend they still have balls. Money will bring expansion. I’m sure when it expands the alliance guys will put out a great press release about how they are saving college football and traditions. They’ll then return to their country clubs for another couple years until they put out another press release on how great it is to expand again to give more fanbases hope and more student athletes opportunities to compete on the biggest stage. Then they’ll go back to their country clubs for a few more years and rinse/repeat. I hate the SEC, but they are at least honest about what they want and what their fans want. Their fans want packed houses and fun fall Saturdays and that’s what their conference delivers.

kalld12

Banned
Cincy's schedule was a cakewalk. They dont deserve to be in Top 4. Their opponents combined record is 64 - 78. I'd argue that a two loss Alabama team would beat the brakes off them. Imagine if Cincy played in the SEC, we wouldnt even be having this conversation.

kalld12

Banned
Would love to see it, but the SEC only schedules against each other and cupcakes. Check out Bama's non-conf schedule for '21. At least the September "Kick Off" games have forced some interesting non-conf match-ups.
I agree, but it really isn't debatable that the SEC still is the prime destination for most top recruits. There's more talent in the SEC than any other conference. Out of the last 10 NC games, SEC has won 6 of them. Most likely, an SEC team will be winning this year as well. Point is, playing in conference SEC games on a week to week basis is a much stronger strength of schedule then the competition Cincy is playing. Don't think Cincy belongs even if they're undefeated.

Last edited:

Jmonty71

Banned
Cincy's schedule was a cakewalk. They dont deserve to be in Top 4. Their opponents combined record is 64 - 78. I'd argue that a two loss Alabama team would beat the brakes off them. Imagine if Cincy played in the SEC, we wouldnt even be having this conversation.
Didn't Cincy hang in there with UGA??? I recall Boise St winning some games they weren't supposed to win... I wouldn't just "give" wins to schools... The only way to prove it, is to put them on the field. Now, if you say... Bama brings more fans that Cincy does... You would be right. But, I wouldn't take Cincy's season away from them. Heck, I wonder if UCF was allowed in, if they would of won. I recall them destroying Auburn. I think some conferences get WAY too much ooohs and awwwws... Have you seen most SEC's OOC schedule? You talk about cake walk?? New Mexico State???

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, but it really isn't debatable that the SEC still is the prime destination for most top recruits. There's more talent in the SEC than any other conference. Out of the last 10 NC games, SEC has won 6 of them. Most likely, an SEC team will be winning this year as well.
You're using SEC as an acronym for basically 4 schools. If you look at the entire BCS/CFP era, the so-called "SEC dominance" is basically those 4 universities. What the SEC does excel at is hyping themselves and providing a very entertaining product for ESPN...