CFN Thoughts on the Orange Bowl

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Mississippi State has known for 25 days that it would be facing Georgia Tech, home of Paul Johnson’s vaunted triple-option ground game. And all that time to prepare, study film and gameplan didn’t make a darn bit of difference.

So much for time being the Yellow Jackets’ kryptonite. The Bulldogs could have had another month, and the results would have been the same. Tech belted the one-time top-ranked team in the mouth … over and over again. It piled up more than 400 yards on the ground, led by converted QB Synjyn Days and current QB Justin Thomas, an evolving prestidigitator as the pivot man of Johnson’s attack.

In a night flush with surprises, none was bigger than the way Tech owned the line of scrimmage, mauling a Mississippi State front seven that was supposed to make the Yellow Jackets a little wobbly at the knees. It didn’t. In fact, it got abused, an evolving trend involving SEC West teams over the past 24 hours. And while Thomas or Days will earn the MVP nod, the real heroes, from left to right, were Bryan Chamberlain, Trey Braun, Freddie Burden, Shaq Mason and Chris Griffin.

Georgia Tech is going to finish in the top 10 this season, a year that began with Johnson on the hot seat. Like tonight in Miami, the surprising results throughout 2014 would not have been possible without the play of an O-line that doesn’t get nearly as much attention as it deserves.

The SEC has seen better days. Just hours after Ole Miss got the doors blown off of its bowl hopes by TCU, its state-mate and rival Mississippi State literally got beat up by a Georgia Tech team that showed the Bulldogs that physical football does indeed exists outside of the SEC.

Dan Mullen’s crew simply had no answer for the running game of the Yellow Jackets. As the game wore on, the defensive front seven wore down and provided little resistance against an offensive scheme that is tough to crack in the first place. But in this one, surprisingly it wasn’t so much missed assignments. No instead it was more like a bully taking lunch money from the Bulldogs, then tying them to the flagpole in their BVDs for all to see.

Georgia Tech may not ever get into the College Football Playoff because of the one-dimensional nature of what head coach Paul Johnson runs, but that same schematic philosophy on offense can result in a beat-down of anyone, on any given day.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1497741.html

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech may not ever get into the College Football Playoff because of the one-dimensional nature of what head coach Paul Johnson runs, but that same schematic philosophy on offense can result in a beat-down of anyone, on any given day.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1497741.html

I don't see why that would ever hold us out of the playoff. If we go undefeated in the regular season, they won't be able to keep us out. Winning will overcome.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
CFN has always put our program down and I'm sure they were throwing up in their respective mouths as they had to type their recap reports. That made it all the sweeter for me.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It's pretty hard to take someone's writing seriously when they throw out the cliched "one dimensional offense" line in a article about our destruction of a top 10 SEC team in a major bowl game.
we were fairly one dimensional- reaching the endzone that is. Most teams have a good variety of punts, turnovers, FGs and TDs. Not GT, mostly just TDs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our O is a force to be reckoned with and will win most games.

Till we get a top 20 D, I don't think we get to a 4 team play off either. Plus we need a reliable FG kicker (Butker may become reliable but he wasn't this year). Till then against elite teams we'll have to win the turnover battle.

Don't forget Dak set an OB record for passing and MSU did score 34 points. Usually good enough to win.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, guess JT's 1k-plus passing yards and Waller/Smelter combined 11 TDs receiving just aren't any kind of dimension.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Our O is a force to be reckoned with and will win most games.

Till we get a top 20 D, I don't think we get to a 4 team play off either. Plus we need a reliable FG kicker (Butker may become reliable but he wasn't this year). Till then against elite teams we'll have to win the turnover battle.

Don't forget Dak set an OB record for passing and MSU did score 34 points. Usually good enough to win.
Barring more attrition, I think our D will continue to improve next season.