CFN.com Bowl Projections: Week 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I think at first everyone was misunderstanding what the others were attempting to say. Once explained... There was no need to start calling out folks for this or that. Opinions are opinions... facts are facts. The problem on most forums is that people confuse the 2. Upstate Jacket stated his opinion and AE came back with facts... As if retorting to another fact. Thats where it all went downhill. We can all agree that the SEC is the best conference. By how much is the true question. Reality is that there are no truly dominant teams this season. None. Zilch. SEC defenses arent as truly dominant as they have been in years past. Alot of the offenses are the same. Aside from UGA and maybe Texas A&M, none of the SEC offenses are that impressive. They may have breakout games here and there, but for the most part theyve shown to be below average. Up to this point... BC has beaten USCw, UVA played tough against UCLA, Clemson lost to UGA, VT beat Ohio St., maybe a few more examples... But for the most part it looks even to me. Some of our worst ACC teams hung with or beat the top teams from other conferences. One of our better teams was beaten by a top 10 UGA team @ UGA. Not a horrible loss on the resume IMO. Id rather have losses to UGA and FSU on my resume than losses to USCe and Florida. Just my OPINION though. It should be more about who you lose to... than who you beat.

Squints I don't take it persona, I got a good chuckle out of all the chaos from the posters that piped in. I find it amusing and sad at the same time that whether it is this board, sting talk when it existed or any other Tech message board that personal opinions get destroyed if they don't agree with you. Honestly, it happens all over that campus. I spent a year and half at Tech and grew to despise a lot about Tech while I was there. Trust me I take what anyone on here says with a grain of salt. I have to disagree with you that opinions are not worthless without some form of substance. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Using the word probably or if or may or should is not the same as is or will or has or done or doing. So stop insulting my intelligence. Your point is taken. You live in probabilities I'll live in reality. The point of all this is you have your opinion and I have mine. It's just that mine is based on reality not could of's.

FWIW, this is a thing that's a button pusher for a lot of engineers and other mathematically based professionals. Somewhere in a board room right now, an executive is telling an economist to put seasonal variation back into their projections. That economist is trying very hard not to shake their head.

If facts are those things which we can observe to be true with a probability of 1, there are very, very few facts in the world we live in. There is possible error in almost every physical observation you can make. The myth that statistical inference is a flight of fancy is shockingly persistent. The entire field of signal processing exists because the raw data is not a better way to ascertain reality. Statistical inference is not the same as making projections from suppositions. Your cell phone works because statistical models are, in the common meaning, concretely 'real'.

In this case, we have actual probability of 1 facts in football scores. We're talking about how scores might include information about how teams compare to teams not playing in that game. Teams play other teams that play other teams. This creates a network of score information that relates individual game scores. There are different systems to try to extract that information that have different error probabilities to them. You can talk a lot about the merits of those systems. But to say that such information is not part of reality is, well, frustrating.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That being said, we punted once.

And it was a good punt. Gotta give Rodwell a chance since he's feeling left out. (tic)

Also, I haven't read all the posts but given how pissy people are, I'm glad we at 9-2 and not 7-4.

I put in the stats and links since I like to see what I'm saying is right (it often isn't so I don't post it!)

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Squints I don't take it persona, I got a good chuckle out of all the chaos from the posters that piped in. I find it amusing and sad at the same time that whether it is this board, sting talk when it existed or any other Tech message board that personal opinions get destroyed if they don't agree with you. Honestly, it happens all over that campus. I spent a year and half at Tech and grew to despise a lot about Tech while I was there. Trust me I take what anyone on here says with a grain of salt. I have to disagree with you that opinions are not worthless without some form of substance. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.

What you attribute to Tech people I attribute to people in general. I saw no more of what you mention relative to the rest of the world when I was there for my two years. If this is happening to you in more than a few places it might be time to look in the mirror. You're absolutely right about opinions and butt holes. But that's why they mean nothing without something to back them up.

I'm not saying anything happened to me or I was ostracized or anything like that. I observed interaction between students and professors and students with students. I noticed there was little toleration between those with opposing views. There is no reason to throw insults or wish negative advice if don't agree with someone else (bruce). If you don't agree, you can state why without being nasty. Look at the top ten right now for the play off chase. The SEC is dominant. That is what the experts think, not me. So there, I have provided my reason why I have my opinion (bruce).

Animal02

Banned
I'm not saying anything happened to me or I was ostracized or anything like that. I observed interaction between students and professors and students with students. I noticed there was little toleration between those with opposing views.

Hanging around the architecture building? That was the status quo my entire time at Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.