Centers and Guards 2015

G-C-G + QB + BB = Core offensive strength.

Last year with anew starter at C & QB the offense was supposed to struggle. But Burden and JT proved to be big time strengths rather than weaknesses. And Days provided an effective 1-2 punch w/ Zach at BB. Add in the impeccable play of Shaq with nice Work from Braun, Devine, and Marshall and we got a fiercely strong core for the offense.

In 2015 BB is the biggest question along with next man up for Shaq's G spot. Need a BB Who can find the mesh point, hit the hole quick, hold onto the ball, and block effectively. Plus need a backup BB who is also reliable.

Find the BB's and stay healthy and we should be in good shape up the middle.

The gist is that we are talking about having seven or eight quality linemen to fill five spots. A good problem to have--with underclassmen talent waiting in the wings. The O-line promises to be as good or better than last year, and should be solid for a few years to come. I think your analysis of G-C-G is exactly right, and we appear to have a qb that can make the read/mesh necessary to take advantage of the blocking. Most of us have been saying for years that when the dive is effective in this offense EVERYTHING else falls into place. I know this is blasphemy, but I look for us to throw the ball considerably more in 2015, primarily because we can pick and choose when we want to pass. Even the better teams on our schedule will have to be concerned about Justin Thomas and this offensive line. For the less talented defenses, we are going to be a nightmare to defend.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anybody knows anything about him. He wasn't a recruit that the fans heard anything about. He just showed up from another program. So, he's definitely under the fanbase's radar.

Eason got some PT this past season as a RSFr. He has the size and 3 more years to improve on strength and mobility. Stayed away from penalties in 2014. He is in a competitive position at LT in the future IMO.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have two home tune ups before ND, I like how our schedule shakes out. Guys who want to play on opening weekend Saturday in the Dome vs a top 20 team are nuts.

Depends.

Next year it would be dicey because we're breaking in a new BB, probably a few reserve ABs, and replacing Shaq. But in 2016? JT will be a senior, pretty much everyone on the O-line returns save Braun (a projected starter this year) but guys behind him will have plenty of experience. All of our BBs will have a year's worth of battles and a couple of fall camps. Our defense will have to replace Gotsis and JHD (a projected starter), but Gamble could slide in and hopefully one of the 2015 signed DTs gets experience this year. DE will be LOADED with Freeman, Chungong, Anree St. Amour, Simmons, Whitehead. We lose DJ White, and Jamal Golden...but Roof cycles a lot DBs every game so there will be experience there. PJ Davis will be a Junior, and we might have some growing pains at LB...but our DEs will pace our defense.

It also depends on the other team. The other team could be breaking in new players as well. It's all about timing.

2017 versus Tennessee in the new Dome could be tricky. We lose JeT, but every other offensive position will be DEEP. Hopefully Jordan is everything we think he can be, and one of the new QB recruits is ahead of the curve. Defense will return a lot of guys as well.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
But in 2016? JT will be a senior, pretty much everyone on the O-line returns save Braun (a projected starter this year) but guys behind him will have plenty of experience.
Bryan Chamberlain will be a senior in 2015. Errin Joe will be as well, though he could potentially get a medical redshirt to allow him to play in 2016. Those are far from guaranteed, so we may have three new starters on the OL for 2016, not just one.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Depends.

Next year it would be dicey because we're breaking in a new BB, probably a few reserve ABs, and replacing Shaq. But in 2016? JT will be a senior, pretty much everyone on the O-line returns save Braun (a projected starter this year) but guys behind him will have plenty of experience. All of our BBs will have a year's worth of battles and a couple of fall camps. Our defense will have to replace Gotsis and JHD (a projected starter), but Gamble could slide in and hopefully one of the 2015 signed DTs gets experience this year. DE will be LOADED with Freeman, Chungong, Anree St. Amour, Simmons, Whitehead. We lose DJ White, and Jamal Golden...but Roof cycles a lot DBs every game so there will be experience there. PJ Davis will be a Junior, and we might have some growing pains at LB...but our DEs will pace our defense.

It also depends on the other team. The other team could be breaking in new players as well. It's all about timing.

2017 versus Tennessee in the new Dome could be tricky. We lose JeT, but every other offensive position will be DEEP. Hopefully Jordan is everything we think he can be, and one of the new QB recruits is ahead of the curve. Defense will return a lot of guys as well.

2016 Davis and Hankins will be seniors but we have Lewis and Jackson in their third year and 3 outstanding RSFr in Alexander, Cooksey, and Mitchell. LB will be a strength in 2016 and beyond.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
2016 Davis and Hankins will be seniors but we have Lewis and Jackson in their third year and 3 outstanding RSFr in Alexander, Cooksey, and Mitchell. LB will be a strength in 2016 and beyond.
Assuming these guys pan out, of course. How many of us thought Brad Jefferson was gonna be the next outstanding GT LB?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Levine starts at guard. He's simply too good to keep off the field, especially in plays where we are drive blocking. And I expect us to do a lot more of that with the OL we have coming back. We won't stop OL cut blocking, of course, but I bet we try to run over people first for the next couple of years. Second level is another story.

But we'll see. Brown has gotten good reviews from folks here and we very well might go with a three guard rotation instead. Wish we could do that in basketball, btw.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bryan Chamberlain will be a senior in 2015. Errin Joe will be as well, though he could potentially get a medical redshirt to allow him to play in 2016. Those are far from guaranteed, so we may have three new starters on the OL for 2016, not just one.

Ah...good catch. I think Burdon/Devine/Griffin mixed with the guys coming off redshirts this season as well as Bryan and Morgan will be more than capable of stepping into Chamberlain/Joe/Braun's shoes (or cleats). I actually think the guys coming off redshirts + Bryan are physically more talented than the 3 guys moving on after 2015.

It's nice to be in re-load mode!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The C/G position may be the deepest on the team. And, there is quality depth for at least 3 more years.

Actually we are much deeper at tackle than guard and IMO we need a 2016 center recruit to avoid a backup issue in 2017 and a starter beyond. Counting only schlorship players and counting O'Reilly as a center we have:
2015...C-3.....G-5.....T-9
2016...C-2.....G-4.....T-7
2017...C-1.....G-3.....T-6
2018...C-0.....G-2.....T-4
A quality T needs to move to G and if we do not recruit a quality center in 2016 then someone needs to move from G or T to C.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
G-C-G + QB + BB = Core offensive strength.

Last year with anew starter at C & QB the offense was supposed to struggle. But Burden and JT proved to be big time strengths rather than weaknesses.
Losing the center and the QB at the same time has one upside. The backups were likely working together on the second team.