Centers and Guards 2015

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at this coming season, I have begun to evaluate who we have coming back and make my own determination as to how the depth might play out for 2015. Here is the order I have for the Center position:

Freddie Burden
Andrew Marshall
Thomas O’Reilly
Niko Anderson

Here I think Burden will continue to start with Marshall providing the main relief for him. Marshall could move to Guard if he is just too good to keep off the field. I think O’Reilly and Anderson will only factor in if an injury occurs.
I am lumping the Guard position in here as well since that position can cross over with the Center position easily in our offense. Here is how I see things as of now:

Trey Braun
Gary Brown
Shamire Devine
Nick Brigham
Jake Whitley
Brad Morgan
Kevo Yereman
Tim Seager

The first three are interchangeable and I think they will play in pretty equal 3 man rotation, assuming Shamire is in shape to take more snaps. Brigham and Whitley are nice insurance. Morgan will most likely redshirt and Yereman and Seager will be there in the event of emergency. I have heard that Yereman is a pretty good player so his stock might rise this off season.

Overall we will miss Shaq as our go to lineman but we have good depth and hopefully someone in this group will elevate their game to the point we do not blatantly miss Shaq so much.

Go Jackets!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Curious if one of those centers get moved to guard. Or even tackle. I know they want to get the best OL on the field. Andrew Marshall and Thomas O'Reilly are pretty dang good.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am hoping so IronJacket.. We can look at it helping balance positions, or helping get the best team on the field, but either way it is good for the program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm gonna pat myself on the back...last spring Burden was mentioned as the possible starter over O'Reilly who I thought was a good center. I said if Burden starts over O'Reilly, Burden is an All-ACC center. Lo and behold, seven months later, Burden became an All-ACC center.

Next year's OL will have multiple All-ACC (atleast 3) guys just like FSU's OL this year. That's my OL prediction for 2015.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
FWIW the following participated in the Orange Bowl:
Chamberlain, Braun, Burden, Mason and Joe as starters.
Devine, Fromayan, Griffin & O'Reilly participated.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm gonna pat myself on the back...last spring Burden was mentioned as the possible starter over O'Reilly who I thought was a good center. I said if Burden starts over O'Reilly, Burden is an All-ACC center. Lo and behold, seven months later, Burden became an All-ACC center.

Next year's OL will have multiple All-ACC (atleast 3) guys just like FSU's OL this year. That's my OL prediction for 2015.
When will you name them?
I really like Braun.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just some other interesting footnotes on these two positions; Burden is a 302 Lb. Junior and Marshall is a 270 Lb. Sophomore. So we are in good shape here for the foreseeable future.

In contrast at Guard, Trey Braun in a 300 Lb. senior who could skip his senior season but hopefully will not. Brown is a 288 Lb. Freshman and Devine is a 365 Lb. Sophomore. So I think we really need to develop some depth here this coming season. I'm hoping Brigham who is 280 Lb. Junior and Whitley who is 288 Lb. Freshman will get some more playing time this season. If we can get one of these guys productive, we will be in real good shape going forward at this position.

Go Jackets!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Just some other interesting footnotes on these two positions; Burden is a 302 Lb. Junior and Marshall is a 270 Lb. Sophomore. So we are in good shape here for the foreseeable future.

In contrast at Guard, Trey Braun in a 300 Lb. senior who could skip his senior season but hopefully will not. Brown is a 288 Lb. Freshman and Devine is a 365 Lb. Sophomore. So I think we really need to develop some depth here this coming season. I'm hoping Brigham who is 280 Lb. Junior and Whitley who is 288 Lb. Freshman will get some more playing time this season. If we can get one of these guys productive, we will be in real good shape going forward at this position.

Go Jackets!

Noticed B Morgan played guard in HS. He has been projected here as a T I believe. Looking at the G/T numbers it is obvious one of the promising tackles needs to move to guard. By build it seems to point to Bryan or Morgan.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
G-C-G + QB + BB = Core offensive strength.

Last year with anew starter at C & QB the offense was supposed to struggle. But Burden and JT proved to be big time strengths rather than weaknesses. And Days provided an effective 1-2 punch w/ Zach at BB. Add in the impeccable play of Shaq with nice Work from Braun, Devine, and Marshall and we got a fiercely strong core for the offense.

In 2015 BB is the biggest question along with next man up for Shaq's G spot. Need a BB Who can find the mesh point, hit the hole quick, hold onto the ball, and block effectively. Plus need a backup BB who is also reliable.

Find the BB's and stay healthy and we should be in good shape up the middle.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
G-C-G + QB + BB = Core offensive strength.

Last year with anew starter at C & QB the offense was supposed to struggle. But Burden and JT proved to be big time strengths rather than weaknesses. And Days provided an effective 1-2 punch w/ Zach at BB. Add in the impeccable play of Shaq with nice Work from Braun, Devine, and Marshall and we got a fiercely strong core for the offense.

In 2015 BB is the biggest question along with next man up for Shaq's G spot. Need a BB Who can find the mesh point, hit the hole quick, hold onto the ball, and block effectively. Plus need a backup BB who is also reliable.

Find the BB's and stay healthy and we should be in good shape up the middle.
Leggett has been taking mesh reps for a whole year in practice. I know it's not exactly the same as game play, but it's a whole lot better than coming in green like Quaide. At least Quaide will have spring ball which is a whole lot better than coming in green in the fall.

I'm more concerned with developing a core rotation of Abacks who can block the edge effectively and consistently. Same for wr's.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Leggett has been taking mesh reps for a whole year in practice. I know it's not exactly the same as game play, but it's a whole lot better than coming in green like Quaide. At least Quaide will have spring ball which is a whole lot better than coming in green in the fall.

I'm more concerned with developing a core rotation of Abacks who can block the edge effectively and consistently. Same for wr's.
I agree that the AB play/blocking will be a key to next year's success/failure. But, you heard CPJ say on the radio yesterday that our offense is kind of like baseball in that you want to be good "up the middle" (P, C, SS, 2B, CF). That's even a little more of the key for us than the AB's are on the perimeter. If we're strong at GCG, QB, BB, we will be a juggernaut again. And, it will give the perimeter play time to develop without too much pressure, plus it will help the perimeter play to be easier to execute because defenses will have to key up the middle as well. I think the best way we can help the AB's and WR's to be successful next year is to be really good at the dive/belly again.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
BB will be a strength because of talent, depth, and breakaway speed threat. That threat will help our perimeter game. If mesh, pitches, and hanging on to the ball are learned by N Dame time we will be very good on O. It will take time and lots of work to solidify our WR and AB blocking but the numbers and talent are there. IMO we will be a good team in Sept and like 2014 we will be a dominate team in December as the blocking and AB/BB play will mature.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
BB will be a strength because of talent, depth, and breakaway speed threat. That threat will help our perimeter game. If mesh, pitches, and hanging on to the ball are learned by N Dame time we will be very good on O. It will take time and lots of work to solidify our WR and AB blocking but the numbers and talent are there. IMO we will be a good team in Sept and like 2014 we will be a dominate team in December as the blocking and AB/BB play will mature.
We have two home tune ups before ND, I like how our schedule shakes out. Guys who want to play on opening weekend Saturday in the Dome vs a top 20 team are nuts.