CDS Pushing Through Ups and Downs

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Thought it was worth the time to read.

Some excerpts...

"In short, it looks like Tech is going in the right direction with Stoudamire at the helm. But it may take some time to get there."

"Players are learning Stoudamire, who at the same time is learning them while also getting an education in the ACC."

"Stoudamire has re-made the roster that he inherited from Josh Pastner. It’s deeper and probably more athletic."

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thought it was worth the time to read.

Some excerpts...

"In short, it looks like Tech is going in the right direction with Stoudamire at the helm. But it may take some time to get there."

"Players are learning Stoudamire, who at the same time is learning them while also getting an education in the ACC."

"Stoudamire has re-made the roster that he inherited from Josh Pastner. It’s deeper and probably more athletic."

Good article. I agree with Ken Sugiura, it's a learning process and will take some time. We have two very good freshmen in Ndongo and George with Mustaf, Sutton, Kirouac, and maybe Davis coming in next year. Stoudamine is somewhat frustrated, but I think he will learn what college players can handle and make some adjustments.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Good article. I agree with Ken Sugiura, it's a learning process and will take some time. We have two very good freshmen in Ndongo and George with Mustaf, Sutton, Kirouac, and maybe Davis coming in next year. Stoudamine is somewhat frustrated, but I think he will learn what college players can handle and make some adjustments.
I also agree. I think CDS is deceptively frustrated. He filled out this team with last minute acquisitions, knowing full well that what remained when he got there was not enough to compete at this level and in the ACC. Hobbs brought Ndongo and from the beginning CDS acknowledged he is what we see play in the NBA.

He immediately recognized Kowacie Reeves as the skilled, determined and tough player he wanted and was lucky to get him. Nait was a long shot project who turned out to be the most coachable player on the team, and has paid off in short term dividends that will payoff in even greater returns in the future. He is our Lou Gehrig story and Lance Terry our Wally Pipp.

Miles was a keeper, but he needed to be more than a shooter to help Tech win and for him to get a shot at the NBA. He has been lucky to have CDS as a teacher, but his expanded role to rebound, drive through the paint, pass & play better defense has put him on learning curve rollercoaster.

With the exception of Sturdivant as a role player off the bench, everyone else was & still are question marks. CDS works them hard, rarely criticizes anyone in public and always talks up this team’s collective ability. He knows they must have confidence in order to play above their potential to have any chance of winning games.

So far, his approach has paid off 50% of the time. Not sure that percentage can continue this season. I think he has done as much with this group as he can. But his own competitive spirit will never let him give up. Just hope that rubs off on his players. More & more Alumni & fans are coming to realize this team is not as good as their first 2 months of play suggested. CDS never let this team come to that realization, but their play against VA leads me to believe some of them have come to that conclusion on their own.

CDS will not stop asking for toughness. Nait, Kowacie & Baye will come out looking to win every time they play. Miles wants to be a pro so his maximum effort will show up, but neither he, nor the team can afford the effort & judgment lapses that follow him.

These 4 guys are just not enough. But that’s just for this year.

Last edited:

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I also agree. I think CDS is deceptively frustrated. He filled out this team with last minute acquisitions, knowing full well that what remained when he got there was not enough to compete at this level and in the ACC. Hobbs brought Ndongo and from the beginning CDS acknowledged he is what we see play in the NBA.

He immediately recognized Kowacie Reeves as the skilled, determined and tough player he wanted and was lucky to get him. Nait was a long shot project who turned out to be the most coachable player on the team, and has paid off in short term dividends that will payoff in even greater returns in the future. He is our Lou Gehrig story and Lance Terry our Wally Pipp.

Miles was a keeper, but he needed to be more than a shooter to help Tech win and for him to get a shot at the NBA. He has been lucky to have CDS as a teacher, but his expanded role to rebound, drive through the paint, pass & play better defense has put him on learning curve rollercoaster.

With the exception of Sturdivant as a role player off the bench, everyone else was & still are question marks. CDS works them hard, rarely criticizes anyone in public and always talks up this team’s collective ability. He knows they must have confidence in order to play above their potential to have any chance of winning games.

So far, his approach has paid off 50% of the time. Not sure that percentage can continue this season. I think he has done as much with this group as he can. But his own competitive spirit will never let him give up. Just hope that rubs off on his players. More & more Alumni & fans are coming to realize this team is not as good as their first 2 months of play suggested. CDS never let this team come to that realization, but their play against VA leads me to believe some of them have come to that conclusion on their own.

CDS will not stop asking for toughness. Nait, Kowacie & Baye will come out looking to win every time they play. Miles wants to be a pro so his maximum effort will show up, but neither he, nor the team can afford the effort & judgment lapses that follow him.

I agree with your assessment. I think Sacko and Gapare have a chance to develop into decent players. Hopefully Kelly, Reeves, Coleman, and Terry stick around for another year.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with your assessment. I think Sacko and Gapare have a chance to develop into decent players. Hopefully Kelly, Reeves, Coleman, and Terry stick around for another year.
If Kelly gets good advice, he’ll be back. Bad advice & he’s gone. Don’t see Reeves going anywhere. He looks to be 100% on board with and committed to CDS.

Guessing Coleman is not seeing a big time pro-ball future and finishes at Tech. He is originally from Memphis. His dad is a HS coach and moved family to Fla for a coach job. Family had a connection to Stoudamire from his time as assistant to Pastner at Memphis which is why he both ended up and stayed at Tech. His mom told me they are also connected to Penny Hardaway. Maybe a Tech degree and coaching is in his future.

I think Terry is gone. Watched OTE game Mustaph v Sutton. I think Mustaph is a CG, but he ran the point the entire game I saw. He & George would be a strong backcourt duo. With Reeves on the wing, Ndongo & Sutton up front, do not see available starting minutes for Terry. Don’t see him returning as a 6th or 7th man. That’s also why I do not see Daquan Davis coming here. At the moment, my focus would be on more bigs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this team will go as far as they're willing to work for. The yo-yo will eventually stop. CDS will eventually get a full squad of game-ready players who are not willing to concede anything. I think he'll have a team of JA's eventually. When that happens, this team will be very difficult to beat.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with most of what has been said other than that I expect Terry to be back.

This quote seems to sum up his thoughts.
“I wanted to be able to play an entire season for my last year,” Terry said in a release. “It also allows me to practice and learn under coach (Damon) Stoudamire and his staff for an additional year, which will benefit me a lot. There’s nothing but positive things that can come out of this.”

Terry also brings a skill which neither of the FR bring in right away - he is a very good outside shooter.
Mustaf is adequate but that is the weakest part of his game. Sutton is not an outside shooter at all - he is a driver, score at the basket type.
Having someone like Terry will benefit both of them tremendously.

Looking at the season so far George and Ndongo are the two biggest positive surprises by far. Then, how well Reeves has been as an all-around player so far.

The biggest disappointment so far has been Abram - I fully expect him to transfer out after the season.
Kelly has been a mild disappointment. His rebounding has been excellent, but he has struggled shooting this year. I was hoping for a big step forward, but overall his PER is about the same as last year and his win shares are down.

Gapare has shown a few flashes, but still has a long ways to go. His upside is very high though.
GT could desparately use a 5 that can be a strong rebounder and rim protector. We simply lack that right now and it is hurting us alot defensively right now.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Pretty much agree. You can see it when the team has to work hard for good shots. They don’t do it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I would be shocked if either Reeves or Terry were not here next year. Kelly and Coleman are 50/50 to be here next year in my opinion. No clue on Sacko. Gapare is on his 2nd team already so he is more likely to stay.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Gapare has shown a few flashes, but still has a long ways to go. His upside is very high though.
The upside of Gapare is an interesting topic.

Is everyone agreement that he has big upside? I think we can agree that he has immense physical tools. He is raw. I don't know what his upside is on the defensive end.

My big question with him is does his lack of feel for the game put a low ceiling on him?

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be shocked if either Reeves or Terry were not here next year. Kelly and Coleman are 50/50 to be here next year in my opinion. No clue on Sacko. Gapare is on his 2nd team already so he is more likely to stay.
Where does Terry get his minutes next year?

Attachments

• IMG_4911.png
    IMG_4911.png
    843.3 KB · Views: 20

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
2 Guard/wing. No assurance Kelly will be back. I would be very surprised if Abram is back. Debo is 50/50 in my view to return. Kyle is gone as well. Lots of minutes to be had. It seems CDS would prefer not to play guys more than 30 minutes/game. That is not possible with the current roster. Even with this roster only Kelly and Reeves average more than 30 min/game, both about 33/game.

slugboy

Staff member
2 Guard/wing. No assurance Kelly will be back. I would be very surprised if Abram is back. Debo is 50/50 in my view to return. Kyle is gone as well. Lots of minutes to be had. It seems CDS would prefer not to play guys more than 30 minutes/game. That is not possible with the current roster. Even with this roster only Kelly and Reeves average more than 30 min/game, both about 33/game.
I’m not saying Terry would play PG, but Nait is currently playing 28 minutes per game. Someone has to cover 12 or so minutes at PG.

I think Stoudamire would like to spread out the minutes, if he could. If Terry can shoot, rebound, defend, and get assists, there’s a spot for him

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree with most of what has been said other than that I expect Terry to be back.

“I wanted to be able to play an entire season for my last year,” Terry said in a release. “It also allows me to practice and learn under coach (Damon) Stoudamire and his staff for an additional year, which will benefit me a lot. There’s nothing but positive things that can come out of this.”

Terry also brings a skill which neither of the FR bring in right away - he is a very good outside shooter.
Mustaf is adequate but that is the weakest part of his game. Sutton is not an outside shooter at all - he is a driver, score at the basket type.

Looking at the season so far George and Ndongo are the two biggest positive surprises by far. Then, how well Reeves has been as an all-around player so far.

The biggest disappointment so far has been Abram - I fully expect him to transfer out after the season.
Kelly has been a mild disappointment. His rebounding has been excellent, but he has struggled shooting this year. I was hoping for a big step forward, but overall his PER is about the same as last year and his win shares are down.

GT could desparately use a 5 that can be a strong rebounder and rim protector. We simply lack that right now and it is hurting us alot defensively right now.
You are right on Terry.I didn't think we would miss his STRONG play this yr but we have.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he gets his minutes from a combination of Kelly/Coleman/Sturdivant. CDS has already said a number of times that he felt Terry was his best outside shooter and defender from the returning players. By best outside shooter I took that as most consistent. I don't think Coleman leaves. His best chance to do that was before this season yet he decided to stay. Maybe Kelly decides to go elsewhere to some higher ranked program to get more exposure but I think he stays too. He sees the confidence CDS has shown in him this year.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not saying Terry would play PG, but Nait is currently playing 28 minutes per game. Someone has to cover 12 or so minutes at PG.

I think Stoudamire would like to spread out the minutes, if he could. If Terry can shoot, rebound, defend, and get assists, there’s a spot for him
He would play for sure, but come back for 10-12 minutes per game? He could be the starting PG on many teams. Don’t see him settling for anything less. Can’t imagine he would redshirt, just to come back for a bench role. I think he is first to enter portal, unless Abram beats him to it.

slugboy

Staff member
He would play for sure, but come back for 10-12 minutes per game? He could be the starting PG on many teams. Don’t see him settling for anything less. Can’t imagine he would redshirt, just to come back for a bench role. I think he is first to enter portal, unless Abram beats him to it.
I think he’s mostly at SG, but Stoudamire wants multiple players on the floor who can facilitate the offense.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Good analysis. Like I've said before the 5 spot is our biggest weakness. Points made and given up in the paint is a big liability. Credit to CDS for alternating lineups trying to find the right mix. We lack the overall quickness also to beat defenders off the dribble. I believe quickness is Kelly's biggest weakness. Given time to set his feet. and 1 second to get set, he is an excelent 3 pt threat. He also rebouns well when near the glass. Overall, there is some good talent here. If we solve the inside problem and keep the excellent players we have , and adding our incoming FR, we should be much improved next year.