Can Wr block mike linebacker?

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
i apologize if this is a stupid question but I was wondering if some of the technical experts could address whether we ever change blocking assignments to have the play side tackle release out wider and have the play side WR crack back in to pick up the mike or safety that are flowing inside out. I seem to recall that when CPJ was at navy they successfully used something like this from time to time against ND and other more athletic teams where the releasing o-line was having a hard time getting to the next level. I don't seem to recall GT doing this much but I am a novice on the technical aspects.

Thanks for any feedback.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We do crack the safety at times. I will leave the question of middle linebacker for those more knowledgeable.
Vine link of Smelter being a boss

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The block on the safety was fabulous, however the cornerback didn't bite, iow, he immediately came off Smelter and played the run. That would have been fine if the Aback leading the play made his block, however he completely whiffed on the corner.

That vine is a great example of how each play requires everybody making their block. One crappy block attempt completely negates one awesome one. It also explains, to some degree, why we had so much trouble last year (yeah, I know that play was from two or more yrs ago). Last yr we very rarely had all 11 guys on offense completing their assignment.

The more noobs we have on the field, the fewer total plays we'll have executed correctly x 11.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The block on the safety was fabulous, however the cornerback didn't bite, iow, he immediately came off Smelter and played the run. That would have been fine if the Aback leading the play made his block, however he completely whiffed on the corner.

That vine is a great example of how each play requires everybody making their block. One crappy block attempt completely negates one awesome one. It also explains, to some degree, why we had so much trouble last year (yeah, I know that play was from two or more yrs ago). Last yr we very rarely had all 11 guys on offense completing their assignment.

The more noobs we have on the field, the fewer total plays we'll have executed correctly x 11.
We are a tad off topic now, but while the block by the AB was a miss, the CB was no longer in a position to make the tackle up near the line of scrimmage. You can see the CB turning and running back as the clip ends thanks to the AB getting him out of position. I think we struggled more with having ball carriers without the speed to get by defenders who were slightly out of position when all the blocks were not executed flawlessly

edit: Our other big problem was with our tackles getting pinched and leaving the mike free (which I'm guessing is the reason for the OP's question regarding alternate means of blocking the mike). This is also not taking into account or pass blocking woes =(

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We are a tad off topic now, but while the block by the AB was a miss, the CB was no longer in a position to make the tackle up near the line of scrimmage. You can see the CB turning and running back as the clip ends thanks to the AB getting him out of position. I think we struggled more with having ball carriers without the speed to get by defenders who were slightly out of position when all the blocks were not executed flawlessly

edit: Our other big problem was with our tackles getting pinched and leaving the mike free (which I'm guessing is the reason for the OP's question regarding alternate means of blocking the mike). This is also not taking into account or pass blocking woes =(
I wonder what we can do to take advantage of the strategy of pinching our T's? Everything comes at a price and every tactic is a gamble. How do we make them pay?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Block that DL with the OT and have the BB run towards that gap?
Midline would also down block on the pinching DL, but we seemed to not run midline as much. I would also expect play action to work as well, since they would be effectively taking themselves out of pass rushing. Then we are back to our inability to pass block in general :(

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i dont' recall seeing a WR block a MLB by assignment much if at all. Typically, the MLB is assigned to the C, G or sometimes tackle in a over look where we option the OLB as the end. This is one reason why D's almost always play their MLB 5-7 yards off the LOS....so the OL struggles to get to them in space and they can roam....

The WR gets the CBs, S, and sometimes OLB.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight. Maybe it is impossible for the WR to crack far enough inside to pick up the mike so maybe the better question is whether we ever have play side a back pick up the mike if our tackle is getting grappled or just can't get there in time to cut him off. Cheese is correct that my original question is really what changes to the blocking scheme do we have to address our o-line getting held or otherwise being unable to release to pick off the mike.

Also great observation on the midline as a counter to holding our tackles. I had never thought about that, but basically if they hold the tackle they are blocking themselves on the midline since the tackle isn't releasing anyway.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight. Maybe it is impossible for the WR to crack far enough inside to pick up the mike so maybe the better question is whether we ever have play side a back pick up the mike if our tackle is getting grappled or just can't get there in time to cut him off. Cheese is correct that my original question is really what changes to the blocking scheme do we have to address our o-line getting held or otherwise being unable to release to pick off the mike.

Also great observation on the midline as a counter to holding our tackles. I had never thought about that, but basically if they hold the tackle they are blocking themselves on the midline since the tackle isn't releasing anyway.

yes, an AB can get a MLB assignment based on some looks for sure. Especially against the 3-4.

also if the tackle is being held by the end, first that technically is a penalty, but never called, but if he is, we can switch up the blocking to option off the 3 tech and allow the guard to go to the MLB. The OT blocks the end, the QB reads the BB off the 3 tech vs DE, and keeps or pitches based on how the AB, WR are blocking. If the WR goes CB and the AB goes S, then he pitches off the OLB. IF the AB goes OLB, then he pitches of the S etc....