Can we talk about Haynes King last night? What are yall's thoughts about him, our offense going forward?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As I said earlier, King is no second coming, but he is a decent P5 QB. I think he would be more effective if the coaches let him run more. More outside option plays - those were generally effective - and some draws as well. We might even try some good old fashioned Tobias Oliver style QB sweeps. King is big enough to stand a few hits and knowing that he might take off will slow down Ds.

But … his performance wasn't good enough to win the game. It could have been, but I think Buster thought he could sit on a lead. Why I do not know; the run blocking was pretty bad. But there's room for a good game plan - adjusting at half-time - to make King a winner.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We ran 9 offensive plays in the 3rd quarter. 4 were called runs and 5 were called passes. Our execution was very poor on nearly every play that quarter. 1 first down on a King scramble. No completed passes that quarter.

The defense was terrible in the 3rd quarter.
To be fair, we did force a three and out on their third possession in the third quarter.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, we did force a three and out on their third possession in the third quarter.
True. Still hard to win when they score on 5 of 6 second half possessions. Our offense looked much better than anything we have seen in years but I don't think it is good enough to carry us when the defense gives up scores on 80% of opponent possessions in a half.

Only one game so lots of time for improvement.

My biggest concern is all the possible injuries to key players. Way too many were not able to finish the game. Depth is not our strength.

slugboy

Staff member
But … his performance wasn't good enough to win the game. It could have been, but I think Buster thought he could sit on a lead. Why I do not know; the run blocking was pretty bad. But there's room for a good game plan - adjusting at half-time - to make King a winner.

I don’t know if that’s Faulkner changing things up, or if it’s Key, or if the players relaxed at halftime when they should have gotten hungrier.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
As an individual performance HK did great. It's hard to tell what he's doing to get the rest of the team to click, but I think he earned some credibility if he sees fit to get in the faces of some other position groups.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Based on Fri night's performance King should have us at 4-3 going into the homecoming game. If he takes us to 7-5 on the season, he will have had a solid season.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Based on Fri night's performance King should have us at 4-3 going into the homecoming game. If he takes us to 7-5 on the season, he will have had a solid season.
If we win 7 games with our defense King will have to be great

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
In watching the replay, I think King did a really good job. He put the ball where it needed to be (for the most part) and he was both accurate and timely in his passes. He made a few mistakes, but not many. He put the 4th down pass right in the hands of the receiver, who dropped it. His jump balls downfield were also well placed. Even holding the ball on the sack-fumble seemed to be from a designed play call. Not sure why the coaches would put in a play like that on 1st down on the 16, but it looked like a designed rollout and pass to the back of the end zone on a crossing pattern. For a first game with very little time to pass, he did well. This loss is not on him

Also, the line was not as bad as I thought in my anger on Friday night. There was some poor blocking but not as egregious in previous years and they did a fantastic job in the second quarter. Having Jordan may have helped, but he was out the whole second quarter when we ran over them. They appeared to adjust at halftime to crash the safeties and force us downfield, which we did not do in any of our third down possessions.

I think the third quarter came down to some untimely poor execution, conservative play calling, a lack of adjustments to their adjustments, and overall just being complacent with winning at halftime. Missing the gimme FG, the missed tackles, the soft play of the defense on first down, and the inability to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage hurt us in the second half, but it was clear that Louisville was more focused and played with more energy in the second half than us and we ended up losing the game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
In watching the replay, I think King did a really good job. He put the ball where it needed to be (for the most part) and he was both accurate and timely in his passes. He made a few mistakes, but not many. He put the 4th down pass right in the hands of the receiver, who dropped it. His jump balls downfield were also well placed. Even holding the ball on the sack-fumble seemed to be from a designed play call. Not sure why the coaches would put in a play like that on 1st down on the 16, but it looked like a designed rollout and pass to the back of the end zone on a crossing pattern. For a first game with very little time to pass, he did well. This loss is not on him

Also, the line was not as bad as I thought in my anger on Friday night. There was some poor blocking but not as egregious in previous years and they did a fantastic job in the second quarter. Having Jordan may have helped, but he was out the whole second quarter when we ran over them. They appeared to adjust at halftime to crash the safeties and force us downfield, which we did not do in any of our third down possessions.

I think the third quarter came down to some untimely poor execution, conservative play calling, a lack of adjustments to their adjustments, and overall just being complacent with winning at halftime. Missing the gimme FG, the missed tackles, the soft play of the defense on first down, and the inability to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage hurt us in the second half, but it was clear that Louisville was more focused and played with more energy in the second half than us and we ended up losing the game.
Good post!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Agree with your points.

1. Can you add some observations about the portal guys ( king, the wr from TAM, the WR from Alabama) that balled out in the second quarter. ? To me they were way faster than their teammates. Did you see that as well?
2. The Freshman WR - Singleton and the freshman RT looked great in thier first game out of high school. Would u let them start ( get lots of pt) till they goof up?
3. At end first half , can you tell if Key let them be over confident going into lockeroom? .
4. Can you agree w me - Key and coaches had good game plan , but didn't know how to counter the UL half time adjustments? OR could be that it took our opponent the first half to know how to attack our weak players?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree with your points.

1. Can you add some observations about the portal guys ( king, the wr from TAM, the WR from Alabama) that balled out in the second quarter. ? To me they were way faster than their teammates. Did you see that as well?
2. The Freshman WR - Singleton and the freshman RT looked great in thier first game out of high school. Would u let them start ( get lots of pt) till they goof up?
3. At end first half , can you tell if Key let them be over confident going into lockeroom? .
4. Can you agree w me - Key and coaches had good game plan , but didn't know how to counter the UL half time adjustments? OR could be that it took our opponent the first half to know how to attack our weak players?
The transfers showed well on both sides of the ball. We did an outstanding job in the portal.

Both true Freshman looked good, but Singleton looks like a special talent who needs to be on the field as much as possible.

I did not see Key, but the team was on the sidelines yucking it up before the half. They seemed quite pleased with themselves. One of the coaches should have seen that and let Key know so he get their heads correct.

I do not think we did a good job of countering their adjustments. The adjustments we did make did not make a lot of sense to me and they did not seem to work. But wtf do I know about coaching

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The team seemed really satisfied with themselves going into halftime.
Agreed - although I'm not sure exactly how much of it contributed to the problem in the second half, I did wonder if making HK available for interview just before the half might not be the best choice. Let him play a whole game before you put him in a position where he might feel like people are blowing smoke.

Still, I do think he played well in H2. As others have said, IMO the bigger issue seemed to be the defense's tackling.