Can we talk about Haynes King last night? What are yall's thoughts about him, our offense going forward?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
His two bad plays were the throw away that was almost intercepted and holding the ball too long on the sack-fumble in the 4th. A couple of other questionable plays but a lot of positive too. For a first game, he did well and was not the primary reason we lost.

I am much more concerned with a piss poor offensive line, a kicker who misses easy FG attempts, a defense that misses too many tackles and a team that gets complacent at half time.

JacketFan137

Banned
not perfect but a lot of good. when we were able to get into 2nd-5 he looked amazing. when our drives struggled were when we were in 3rd-9 3-11 kinda situations.

i think the run game is what’s gonna make this offense work

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
34 points is more than we scored in any game of the last administrations first year against any opponent, and took until week four year 2 to do it against any team, which oddly enough was Louisville. I know that’s not the standard we are going for, but pretty good output for a new coach, new system, new QB.

Positives:
Goes through progressions
Throws a pretty midrange ball
Good wheels
Tough

Negatives:
Still double clutched at times
When pulling to run, hesitated often. If he’s more decisive some short runs may be first downs.
Made a luckily missed throw away almost pick.
Held the ball too long and lost the ball in scoring range.
Took way too many hits. Needs to get down.

All in all, a great first outing for a brand new QB, and RS-soph. Most of his negatives can be eliminated or toned down if we coach right and he takes to it.

If we could kick fgs, we may have people doing the FSU Jeff Sims and asking if he will leave early to go pro. But since we lost, people will focus on the negative.
If we can bring our line along and play some defense, I think he will win us some ball games.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
If we win the game, I think this board would be hyping King's performance last night. 3 td's, over 300 yds, nearly 10 yds per attempt. We haven't seen passing numbers like that in a game in quite some time. He did that while leading the team in rushing and having barely any help from our run game. All things considered, King did just fine. A tune up game next week will help us a lot, too.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I personally saw a lot of great QB play in him and im excited to see how the coaching staff develops him. Big believer in Weinke and Faulkner.
My thought is after watching that offensive line, that boy better be sure he has his life insurance paid up. He has good wheels and he is going to need them. He led the team in rushing and threw for over 300 yards, I don't know what more one could expect from him. I enjoyed watching him but he needs to have his head on a swivel with that line.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The actual INT was not his fault, but he got away with one late in the game that everyone else has already mentioned. Obviously the fumble was the play of the game and he has to be more aware and get rid of the ball. He seemed to be a little indecisive on when to scramble versus throw when the play broke down. Having said all of that, I felt like he made a lot of good reads and good throws and actually seemed to be pretty accurate on deeper throws than I was expecting, but that may just be because we’ve had some bad QB play for awhile now.

My assessment for King is basically my assessment for the whole offense: if the offensive line doesn’t let him down, he will succeed more than not. My worry is the line may let us down more times than not.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
The actual INT was not his fault, but he got away with one late in the game that everyone else has already mentioned. Obviously the fumble was the play of the game and he has to be more aware and get rid of the ball. He seemed to be a little indecisive on when to scramble versus throw when the play broke down. Having said all of that, I felt like he made a lot of good reads and good throws and actually seemed to be pretty accurate on deeper throws than I was expecting, but that may just be because we’ve had some bad QB play for awhile now.

My assessment for King is basically my assessment for the whole offense: if the offensive line doesn’t let him down, he will succeed more than not. My worry is the line may let us down more times than not.
The fumble sack I find a hard time blaming the O-line that was about 4 second window before guy broke free and another second for him to close. He's got to be quicker to determine nothing there and either throw it away are tuck in run. The O-Line performance wasn't as bad as some years but still away go some growing to do. They didn't make many penalties from the unit struggled in 3rd with just about everything. The film review should be fun this week for King plenty of times to point out how indecisive he was with running and he left about alot of field where he could've move chains or made a positive gain.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
In one word watching Haynes King: Encouraging
In a few words, I didn't like how conservative the offense played in the third quarter. Lost the momentum from the aggressive play calling and results in the second quarter. Our defense got shredded in the second half. No run defense, poor pass rush, and poor tackling in the secondary and in the open field. Credit Louisville for isolating 1:1 mismatches in the second half and coming back.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In a few words, I didn't like how conservative the offense played in the third quarter. Lost the momentum from the aggressive play calling and results in the second quarter. Our defense got shredded in the second half. No run defense, poor pass rush, and poor tackling in the secondary and in the open field. Credit Louisville for isolating 1:1 mismatches in the second half and coming back.
One bright spot for the defense is that Louisville converted only one first down in eleven attempts. If I'd known that was going to happen, I'd have mortgaged the house on the money line.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The fumble sack I find a hard time blaming the O-line that was about 4 second window before guy broke free and another second for him to close. He's got to be quicker to determine nothing there and either throw it away are tuck in run. The O-Line performance wasn't as bad as some years but still away go some growing to do. They didn't make many penalties from the unit struggled in 3rd with just about everything. The film review should be fun this week for King plenty of times to point out how indecisive he was with running and he left about alot of field where he could've move chains or made a positive gain.
It is possible that Haynes held the ball too long and our left guard made a pathetic attempt to to block the D lineman. It is not mutually exclusive.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We ran 9 offensive plays in the 3rd quarter. 4 were called runs and 5 were called passes. Our execution was very poor on nearly every play that quarter. 1 first down on a King scramble. No completed passes that quarter.

The defense was terrible in the 3rd quarter.