Bulldog as the state dog.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as it is dressed nicely:
TechBulldog.jpg

But seriously, I guess that all of Georgia's problems have been solved. We no longer have a need for a state legislature.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Two questions:

1. Why do we need a state dog?
2. Why is the state legislature wasting tax dollars with this?

Government is a joke.

You answered you own question. Unfortunately the GA legislature would waste time on merde like this rather than actually working. But then again, perhaps we're better off that they don't work given their recent history.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I like the original bill...way too many homeless adoptable dogs out there who need homes. Then this mouth breathing jack wagon comes along and tries to UGA-fy it so it's divisive. Nice job trying to turn a pointless state symbol into a middle finger at a good portion of your state.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why you guys are complaining. At least people know about bulldogs, though they may not be aware that as a breed they are kind of dumb and hard to train and make excellent mascots for certain state universities. But at least we know about them. Up in my state of NC we have the Plott Hound. Sounds like an Agatha Christie novel, doesn't it? Here in North Carolina we have found that the legislature makes a nice kennel, so we send a bunch of dogs there every two years. Keeps 'em all in the same place.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A bulldog is appropriate. Most bulldogs in the US are highly in-bred and have many medical problems. My son has one who we took care of for 6 months and I characterize it as a wonderful dog trapped in a hopelessly defective body. I really like the dog despite the problems below and feel sorry for it. Here are some medical problems:
  • Trouble breathing - at night the noises made are awful. Like a garbage truck with a bad transmission. And even worse is when the dog stops breathing for 10 seconds or so occasionally in the middle of the night. You don't want your son's dog to die on you.
  • The folds on the face get yeast infections that need to be cleaned out with vinegar water every two days.
  • There is a recessed fur lined cavity above the anus and below the tail, a "tail pocket". It occasionally gets infected and also needs to be cleaned out at least every two days with vinegar water or else. It was infected several times; the smell made 5 day old summer road kill smell good. Great when you are watching TV and it discharges. Also pleasant to put on latex gloves and stick the small finger up there. (Only got the wrong hole once.)
  • Highly allergic. His dog got zits and rashs. Of course the best thing to do with zits is pop them while wiping on the couch cover.
  • Heat intolerant. 70 F is marginal. This dog was great below 40 and could walk 5 miles. Above 80 and heat stroke is a concern due to high body fat.
  • His dog was very smart and thought it was the master. I convinced it that he was better off doing what I said. Only took about three times. When bored or pissed off, the dog would chew my wife's best leather shoes.
  • Lazy is a trait of the breed which is why they are so good in city apartments.
  • Positive attribute is they can hold their bowels for a long time. Unfortunately, this dog when mad would not go to the bathroom on a walk and wait till it got back in the house.
Perfect UGAg mascot.

The Georgia legislature would do better by making it a crime to breed the dogs.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A bulldog is appropriate. Most bulldogs in the US are highly in-bred and have many medical problems. My son has one who we took care of for 6 months and I characterize it as a wonderful dog trapped in a hopelessly defective body. I really like the dog despite the problems below and feel sorry for it. Here are some medical problems:
  • Trouble breathing - at night the noises made are awful. Like a garbage truck with a bad transmission. And even worse is when the dog stops breathing for 10 seconds or so occasionally in the middle of the night. You don't want your son's dog to die on you.
  • The folds on the face get yeast infections that need to be cleaned out with vinegar water every two days.
  • There is a recessed fur lined cavity above the anus and below the tail, a "tail pocket". It occasionally gets infected and also needs to be cleaned out at least every two days with vinegar water or else. It was infected several times; the smell made 5 day old summer road kill smell good. Great when you are watching TV and it discharges. Also pleasant to put on latex gloves and stick the small finger up there. (Only got the wrong hole once.)
  • Highly allergic. His dog got zits and rashs. Of course the best thing to do with zits is pop them while wiping on the couch cover.
  • Heat intolerant. 70 F is marginal. This dog was great below 40 and could walk 5 miles. Above 80 and heat stroke is a concern due to high body fat.
  • His dog was very smart and thought it was the master. I convinced it that he was better off doing what I said. Only took about three times. When bored or pissed off, the dog would chew my wife's best leather shoes.
  • Lazy is a trait of the breed which is why they are so good in city apartments.
  • Positive attribute is they can hold their bowels for a long time. Unfortunately, this dog when mad would not go to the bathroom on a walk and wait till it got back in the house.
Perfect UGAg mascot.

The Georgia legislature would do better by making it a crime to breed the dogs.

This is one of the funniest things I have read in ages! :ROFLMAO: @GTNavyNuke I didn't know you had it in you! Thanks for the several minutes of laughter!

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
And the answer to the question, "What is the intersection of these two subsets, bulldog fans and yahoo politicians?"

I think I may have the answer:

University of Georgia has been preparing and educating its students to become governing leaders of our state ever since our Institution had its first graduating class in 1804. Over the past 160 years, twenty-five of Georgia's Governors have been UGA alumni.

Over one fourth of our state legislature is composed of UGA alumni, including House Speaker David Ralston and Senate President Pro Tempore David Shafer.

Source: http://govt.relations.uga.edu/gover...nt/uga-alumni-in-the-georgia-general-assembly

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's true that bulldogs are generally good dogs trapped in overbred bodies that cause them a lot of trouble as they age. Our neighbors had several when I was growing up and they were invariably friendly and a lot of fun to be around when they were young. As they aged it was sad to see the deterioration they went through.

I hate the Dwags, but I can't feel anything but sympathy for the hounds themselves. Poor dogs.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It's true that bulldogs are generally good dogs trapped in overbred bodies that cause them a lot of trouble as they age. Our neighbors had several when I was growing up and they were invariably friendly and a lot of fun to be around when they were young. As they aged it was sad to see the deterioration they went through.

I hate the Dwags, but I can't feel anything but sympathy for the hounds themselves. Poor dogs.
There was a New York Times article a little while back that talked about the devolution of the breed, and they had a picture showing every Uga they've had and you can see them go from proud athletic dogs to sad lumps of lard. They really have been major contributors to the ruining of an entire breed of dog. You'd think a school known for their veterinary program would know better. It's a damn shame.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would the Eagle be the state bird of prey and not the Owl? I can see a North Georgia versus South Georgia battle looming in the future.