Building the Offensive Line

slugboy

Staff member
Since I pulled the Football Outsiders data, here are a couple of more charts

If you want to skip the rest--we got better in the run stats but got worse in the pass stats. There's progress, but not on the passing side that would make an RPO offense hum.
  • Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.
  • Power Success Rate: This is the same as on the NFL side -- percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown.
  • Stuff Rate: Same as STUFFED on the NFL side -- percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage.
These are all RANKS in this chart, so you want to be #1 (hugging the bottom).
It's tough to separate a play where the running back or quarterback dodged 6 people in the backfield before making a 10-yard gain vs the line pushing for 10 yards and the RB following them the entire way--and these stats don't do that. But whether it was having great RBs or better blocking, we got better on the ground in 2021.
1641304519743.png

In terms of how many yards we got, we became more effective in the run in 2021, but less effective through the air.
  • Line Yards per Carry: For 2018, we are experimenting with a new definition for college line yardage based on film study and generalization. Instead of the ALY figure FO used for the NFL, this one is tighter: the line gets credit for rushing yardage between 0-3 yards (instead of 0-4) and 50% credit for yards 4-8 (instead of 5-10). Anything over 8 yards is quantified as a highlight opportunity, and credit goes to the runner. As with the pro definition, lost yardage still counts for 125%. (Garbage time is filtered out for all line yardage averages.)
  • Standard Downs Line Yards per Carry: The raw, unadjusted per-carry line yardage for a team on standard downs (first down, second-and-7 or fewer, third-and-4 or fewer, fourth-and-4 or fewer).
  • Passing Downs Line Yards per Carry: The same unadjusted averages for rushing on passing downs.

1641304978134.png

In pass blocking, we weren't good before the previous three seasons, and we're still not good
  • Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for all non-garbage time pass attempts.
  • Standard Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for standard downs pass attempts.
  • Passing Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for passing downs pass attempts.
These stats don't separate out a QB holding the ball for 10 seconds vs having a Dan Marino quick release, but Sims and Yates didn't have a comfortable pocket.
1641305111900.png

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
So a little better than my perception from my own personal eye test. It felt like Mason was more successful running between the tackles in 2019 than anyone was in 2021, but from this maybe that's not completely accurate. Pass protection and ability to block for RPO's has gotten worse so that offsets. Which takes me back to my question - has CBK had any positive impact ? The OL has not overall improved significantly from 2019. As with everything else about this program right now - improvement of any significance will literally come out of nowhere. There is no trend that indicates it at this time. CGC has gone all in on his defense and (hopefully) has given the reins to Long and Key to run the Offense. In fairness, that seems like the right path. CDP was honestly pretty terrible as OC here (maybe better elsewhere) and the D has been awful, so CGC's approach seems to be his best chance to turn it around and salvage his job and coaching career. Hoping it works.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We've had a lot of debate on this topic. A common argument is that Collins needed to recruit a new offensive line and that he couldn't really use the players that Johnson had recruited. I'm not saying that's true, but let's pull up the time machine and take a look back.

If I were a coach and felt that I had to make a complete transition on an offensive line, and it was a multi-year process, I'd have a couple of components: 1. recruiting new offensive linemen to groom for my line in a couple of years and 2. moving some of the Johnson players to guard and center and 3. pulling in some transfers to fill gaps in the meantime--especially at tackle.

2019: Collins is hired and turns away two offensive linemen that Johnson had offered. For the recruitniks, that class had 1 4 star (Jamious Griffin) and Yates (depending on the service), and most of the rest were 3 stars. We had two DTs and no OL from high school. We pulled in defensive line recruits and no offensive line recruits (unless you count 1 tight end--Dylan Leonard).
Brent Key didn't start until Jan 10, 2020. I don't think he was involved in the recruiting process that year--at least, he shouldn't have been. One of the key (no pun intended) experts in designing our new OL wasn't active in finding players for this recruiting cycle.
We had one offensive line transfer (Jared Southers) and one TE transfer.
If you felt that OL was a critical need, then 2019 was a missed opportunity. If you were an NFL GM, you'd have drafted an offensive tackle and maybe gotten one in free agency.
The recruiting and transfer emphasis was on defense and at skill positions.
If you're a coach, and you think that it's going to take three years to grow an offensive line, then the read from 2019 is that you're starting in 2020 and your first "homegrown" offensive line is 2022 or 2023, depending on how you count.
That's a LONG wait if you're a fan. That's also the season after next.
I have to chalk this up as a planning error. If you actually believe that this is a huge transition and it's mainly on the offensive line, then have a consultant help you until Key comes on board and find the linemen you need.
There's an old saying that if you want to know someone's priorities, don't listen to what they say--watch what they do. Our priorities were defense and wide receiver. I also have to think this was Patenaude's influence too--he could have pushed for offensive linemen.

2020: OK, this year we recruited 6 linemen. After a year, someone decided we needed new blood on the offensive line. Rankins, Williams, Wing Green are at tackle, and Vaipulu is recruited as a center. Our total recruits are Jordan Williams, Cade Kootsouradis, Wing Green, Michael Rankins, Ryan Spiers, and Paula Vaipulu. Ryan Johnson transfers as a guard and Devin Cochran as a tackle.
Williams, Vaipulu, Johnson, and Cochran are "starters" as of 2021. Williams and Vaipulu are homegrown and "young"
It looks like the coaching staff is adopting an offensive line rebuild, but they do it in year #2.
Cochran doesn't play during the covid season, so you don't really get as much of a quick fix for that year.
IFF you believe it takes 3 years to rebuild a line, then we're one year behind from the 2019 class, and possibly two years behind from the lost 2020 offseason practices being cancelled.

2021: You are here. Kirby and Pendley transfer. Weston Franklin and Jakiah Leftwich are our two OL commits. Our ATL offensive linemen at the end of the year are: Jordan Williams (Fr), Mikey Minihan (RS JR from CPJ), Vaipulu (FR), Ryan Johnson (RS SR), Weston Franklin (FR), Kenneth Kirby (RS SR), Wing Green (FR), Devin Cochran (RS SR), and William Lay (RS JR, Walkon).
We didn't recruit that heavily for this year, but we're up against roster limits.

2022: Next Season. Pierce Quick transfers from Alabama and Paul Tchio transfers from Clemson. Bobby Mooney, Tyler Gibson, and Brandon Best are recruits.
So, for next year, we have to guess a lot to see what's going to happen. Here comes a lot of guesswork.
Here is the OL listed on our Ramblin Wreck roster for next year:
Jordan Williams
Mikey Minihan
Will Scissum
Paula Vaipulu
Michael Maye
Cade Kootsouradis
Will Milam
Nick Pendley
Anthony Minella
Joe Fusile
Matthew Morgan
Weston Franklin
Jakiah Leftwich
Wing Green
William Lay
Brandon Best
Tyler Gibson
Plus Mooney, Tchio, and Quick who aren't listed yet.

At TE we have Dylan Leonard, Dylan Deveney, Chris Miller, Billy Ward, Ben Wilhelm, Ben Postma, and Jack Coco. Jack Coco is also a long snapper, as are Henry Freer and Cade Long.

I would expect us to lose players to the transfer portal or injury scholarships, based on the 85-player cap

I guess that Tchio and Quick are projected starters. Some of our 2020 large OL class will be in their third season. Home grown players should be emerging this year and next on the "three-year plan". The transition should be over this year if the lost COVID offseason weren't a factor.

In the end, we have two questions
  • How long should a transition take? If you planned ahead and connected successfully with transfers, 2020 would have had a pretty good line, and this past season would have had an above average one.
    • Things didn't pan out that well, we didn't plan ahead, we had COVID, and we're at least two years behind where we should be
    • To have a good line last year, we'd have had to "hit" really well on our transfers and/or our recruits and have done more in 2019. We didn't do much in 2019, so we weren't going to have that strong line last year
    • Without making a move in 2019, we could have had a good line this season. The question is "how big a deal was the lost off-season?". Everyone else had to deal with that lost season on offense and on their defensive lines. We had a full spring practice and summer practices and transfers.
    • Our transfers did not hit big enough for us this season to have a quick fix.
    • There are options like 2-back sets, Fullbacks, H-Backs, and Tight Ends that can be used to solidify your blocking. We haven't had much success with our TE blocking and were late to adopt 2-back sets. This is something we should have done back in 2019.
    • I'd expect our offensive line to have been decent this year.
  • Other question: Will it pan out for next year?
    • Some things had to go wrong for us to be behind schedule--not going big in 2019 on the OL, a lost COVID year, and some of the transfers panning out OK but not as good as we'd like.
    • It has potential. The linemen are old enough and the 2020 class will be "on their third season". There has been enough time for development.
    • It has to.
It's pure guesswork on my part and it's dangerous to assume what's in a coach's mind but looking at the timeline I have to think that Collins thought that he'd have more time and more patience from the fans. He probably also thought he'd hit more on his transfers and recruits. Player development hasn't been what I'd hoped.

Purely looking ahead, combined with the trends over the past three seasons, I'd forecast our offensive line as being good in the 2023 season, and under our next coach.
Collins and Long and Key are going to have to do everything humanly possible to move that timeline up a year.
Good read. I think what you miss from the 2019 class is Collins was hired on 7 December and National signing day was 19 December. Basically all quality OL were committed elsewhere. Not signing the two CPK got commitments was smart. Why waste 2 scholarships on guys who don’t fit your system and won’t ever be ATL.

There is a difference in making something a priority and having the opportunity to address that priority.

As you pointed out he did get one transfer that year who started. He also got a very well regarded OL Coach to join his staff.

Not much else could be done in 2019. And yes it has impacted our team greatly. We have gotten a lot of OL Transfers in CGC’s 3 years. Some worked out well and some didn’t. Best you can hope for with transfers.

We should see some improvement on the OL this year. If we don’t the staff is toast.

slugboy

Staff member
Good read. I think what you miss from the 2019 class is Collins was hired on 7 December and National signing day was 19 December. Basically all quality OL were committed elsewhere. Not signing the two CPK got commitments was smart. Why waste 2 scholarships on guys who don’t fit your system and won’t ever be ATL.

There is a difference in making something a priority and having the opportunity to address that priority.

As you pointed out he did get one transfer that year who started. He also got a very well regarded OL Coach to join his staff.

Not much else could be done in 2019. And yes it has impacted our team greatly. We have gotten a lot of OL Transfers in CGC’s 3 years. Some worked out well and some didn’t. Best you can hope for with transfers.

We should see some improvement on the OL this year. If we don’t the staff is toast.

I included Collins' hire time frame and Key's start date in what I wrote. I'm totally aware of the timing. Even with the dates, Collins & staff have rolled the dice on recruits and transfers and haven't gotten big payoffs as of yet. They've had multiple bets not pan out fully, and they're behind schedule, even if you write of the 2019 year.

In comparison, if you look at the defensive side where they did not have a big transition, they made a lot of bets there in 2019, 2020, and 2021, and those bets haven't paid off either. That makes me think it's not just missing the 2019 year--there's a combination of identifying, recruiting, and/or developing players and implementing their systems. The one place they've been successful is at RB. If the problems were just on OL then the "how long does it take" question would make more sense. But we aren't doing well at LB or DB, and we've got the 4* recruits there.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I included Collins' hire time frame and Key's start date in what I wrote. I'm totally aware of the timing. Even with the dates, Collins & staff have rolled the dice on recruits and transfers and haven't gotten big payoffs as of yet. They've had multiple bets not pan out fully, and they're behind schedule, even if you write of the 2019 year.

In comparison, if you look at the defensive side where they did not have a big transition, they made a lot of bets there in 2019, 2020, and 2021, and those bets haven't paid off either. That makes me think it's not just missing the 2019 year--there's a combination of identifying, recruiting, and/or developing players and implementing their systems. The one place they've been successful is at RB. If the problems were just on OL then the "how long does it take" question would make more sense. But we aren't doing well at LB or DB, and we've got the 4* recruits there.

You say you've accounted for 2019 being almost all CPJ, but you haven't. 2019 was almost all CPJ commits. Most of the 2020 and 2021 signing classes were either freshmen or redshirt freshmen with a couple of sophomores who played a little (particularly Gibbs!). Most of us would agree that freshmen OL's or DB's are not going to beat out upper classmen (where we had almost all senior DB's). There has not been enough time to tell if "the bets" will pay off.

Jmonty71

Banned
Since I pulled the Football Outsiders data, here are a couple of more charts

If you want to skip the rest--we got better in the run stats but got worse in the pass stats. There's progress, but not on the passing side that would make an RPO offense hum.
  • Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.
  • Power Success Rate: This is the same as on the NFL side -- percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown.
  • Stuff Rate: Same as STUFFED on the NFL side -- percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage.
These are all RANKS in this chart, so you want to be #1 (hugging the bottom).
It's tough to separate a play where the running back or quarterback dodged 6 people in the backfield before making a 10-yard gain vs the line pushing for 10 yards and the RB following them the entire way--and these stats don't do that. But whether it was having great RBs or better blocking, we got better on the ground in 2021.
View attachment 11934

In terms of how many yards we got, we became more effective in the run in 2021, but less effective through the air.
  • Line Yards per Carry: For 2018, we are experimenting with a new definition for college line yardage based on film study and generalization. Instead of the ALY figure FO used for the NFL, this one is tighter: the line gets credit for rushing yardage between 0-3 yards (instead of 0-4) and 50% credit for yards 4-8 (instead of 5-10). Anything over 8 yards is quantified as a highlight opportunity, and credit goes to the runner. As with the pro definition, lost yardage still counts for 125%. (Garbage time is filtered out for all line yardage averages.)
  • Standard Downs Line Yards per Carry: The raw, unadjusted per-carry line yardage for a team on standard downs (first down, second-and-7 or fewer, third-and-4 or fewer, fourth-and-4 or fewer).
  • Passing Downs Line Yards per Carry: The same unadjusted averages for rushing on passing downs.

View attachment 11935

In pass blocking, we weren't good before the previous three seasons, and we're still not good
  • Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for all non-garbage time pass attempts.
  • Standard Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for standard downs pass attempts.
  • Passing Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for passing downs pass attempts.
These stats don't separate out a QB holding the ball for 10 seconds vs having a Dan Marino quick release, but Sims and Yates didn't have a comfortable pocket.
View attachment 11936
Stats are good. However; they just show an end result. They don't explain root causes. It's easy to say, we undersized. However; there are plenty of teams with undersized O-lines that are doing just fine. So, I think while size does matter it's not a sole root cause. I think this stat match the bad blocking schemes that we had. WIth a new OC, I am hoping to see a new scheme, a better scheme.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
The OC & the OL coach were at odds. It’s different now. Long is a tough coach. So is Key. Expect a run heavy physical team instead of the pass happy team the prior OC desired. I think it will fit better with the roster.
I'm not doubting what you say, but I am curious how you learned this?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's a nice piece of info on Chip Long and TEs:

4 of the TE's Long coached at ND went on to play in the NFL.

In addition, Ian Book who was a 3 star recruit, was developed into an NFL QB under Long and is now playing for the New Orleans Saints. In 2019, after Book left ND, Jack Coan passed for over 3000 yards with 25 TDs (only 6 INTs). In 2016 at Memphis, Riley Ferguson's first year starting at Memphis, he passed for almost 3700 yards with 32 TDs (against 10 Ints). It was Long's only season at Memphis. I think our QBs should be excited about Long. Long will have two 4 star QBs to groom at GT.

I think you can say that Long can develop talent on offense. There's talent on our offense for Long to be successful. This was a very good hire for CGC. Now let Long coach the offense, and CGC can focus on the defense.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

In addition, Ian Book who was a 3 star recruit, was developed into an NFL QB under Long and is now playing for the New Orleans Saints. In 2019, after Book left ND, Jack Coan passed for over 3000 yards with 25 TDs (only 6 INTs). In 2016 at Memphis, Riley Ferguson's first year starting at Memphis, he passed for almost 3700 yards with 32 TDs (against 10 Ints). It was Long's only season at Memphis. I think our QBs should be excited about Long. Long will have two 4 star QBs to groom at GT.

I think you can say that Long can develop talent on offense. There's talent on our offense for Long to be successful. This was a very good hire for CGC. Now let Long coach the offense, and CGC can focus on the defense.
I’m really excited to see us run a lot more 12 personnel now that we have the players for it! Chip Long likes TEs? Well now we’ve got Benson, Deveney, Leonard, Ward, and Coco who project to be ATL (and who knows? Maybe Postma gets ATL after a year of development). If we run more 12 personnel, that should give our OL some help in run blocking and occasionally in pass blocking, plus it should cause opposing LBs and DEs to hesitate a bit from uncertainty about what the TEs are doing. And it’ll really force the WRs to earn their snaps.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest, i'm worried fans are putting way to much optimism on Quick and Tchio.
Quick effectively did not contribute at all in his time at AL.
Tchio was a minor contributor in his 2 seasons at Clemson, with almost 40% of his snaps coming in 2 games (SC ST And NC ST). Otherwise it was alot of 3 snaps here, 4 snaps there and don't play at all in 1/2 the games.

If fans believe they are likely starters in 2022, then we may be setting ourselves up for disappointment. The OL who have come in and played since CGC's arrival have been much more productive on the college level than those 2. I see them as backups this year, if they play much at all.
It make not mke a difference but Quick was the highest rated OLin his class at Ala and 6 th on team.I wonder if he has been hurt?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It make not mke a difference but Quick was the highest rated OLin his class at Ala and 6 th on team.I wonder if he has been hurt?
Quick was injured per a hard core Ala fan. - i think its a back.issue.
At Ala - there new talent arrives dIaly.
We are likely to take a chance where they just move on to next guy

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder how good of a job the staff is doing on evaluating OL talent and/or coaching them up. If you look at top teams they often have underclassmen as starters and backups. This were the rosters at the start of 2021(I realized they were not current after I pulled the data....) I literally just pulled teams of varying reputations and results. Bama had 40% of players 2 years or younger but were had much older players other than those 4.

uga - 2 Sr, 1 Jr, 1 RS Fr, 1 RS Soph, bench = 2 RS Jr, 2 RS Fr, and 1 Fr. So 40% of players that are 2 years or younger,
FSU - 2 Grad transfers, 3 RS Fr. bench = 2 RS Sr, 1 RS Jr, 2 RS Fesh - 50% of players 2 years or younger
VT - 2 RS Jr, 1 RS Sofph, 2 Fr bench = 2 Grad Transfer, 1 Grad, 1 So, 1 Fr - 40% of players 2 years or younger
Cuse - 1 RS Sr, 1 RS Jr, 1 RS So, 1 So, 1 Fr, bench = 1 RS Jr, 1 RS So, 1 So, 2 Fr - 40 % of players 2 years or younger
GT - 2 Grad Transfer, 1 RS Jr, 2 FR bench = 1 Grad transfer, 2 RS Jr, 2 Fr. - 40% of players are 2 yeas or younger

I am sure if you look across a lotf teams many have a similar amount of youth across their lines.

One other thing is that I don't think our OL is as undersized as people think. If you take the average weight of all of the OL on the current roster you are at 310 lbs. I believe our starters this year were around 315.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how good of a job the staff is doing on evaluating OL talent and/or coaching them up. If you look at top teams they often have underclassmen as starters and backups. This were the rosters at the start of 2021(I realized they were not current after I pulled the data....) I literally just pulled teams of varying reputations and results. Bama had 40% of players 2 years or younger but were had much older players other than those 4.

uga - 2 Sr, 1 Jr, 1 RS Fr, 1 RS Soph, bench = 2 RS Jr, 2 RS Fr, and 1 Fr. So 40% of players that are 2 years or younger,
FSU - 2 Grad transfers, 3 RS Fr. bench = 2 RS Sr, 1 RS Jr, 2 RS Fesh - 50% of players 2 years or younger
VT - 2 RS Jr, 1 RS Sofph, 2 Fr bench = 2 Grad Transfer, 1 Grad, 1 So, 1 Fr - 40% of players 2 years or younger
Cuse - 1 RS Sr, 1 RS Jr, 1 RS So, 1 So, 1 Fr, bench = 1 RS Jr, 1 RS So, 1 So, 2 Fr - 40 % of players 2 years or younger
GT - 2 Grad Transfer, 1 RS Jr, 2 FR bench = 1 Grad transfer, 2 RS Jr, 2 Fr. - 40% of players are 2 yeas or younger

I am sure if you look across a lotf teams many have a similar amount of youth across their lines.

One other thing is that I don't think our OL is as undersized as people think. If you take the average weight of all of the OL on the current roster you are at 310 lbs. I believe our starters this year were around 315.
Many starters were out and the result was an unfortunates cabled workaround that was exposed by the elite teams (Ga., ND, …)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
These problems that we are describing with our OL are like a yearly broken record. The only year in recent memory is 2014 where we have had consistent season long OL play. Every year the same refrain - injuries, defections, youth, no depth.......We used to blame Sewak, I think with good reason. They recruited too many projects, that never saw the field. Key's margin for error has been reduced since he came from Alabama. The talent they consistently recruit at Bama enabled them to build depth over the years- plug and play. This year and next should tell the tale for our OL. IMO, Key has worked VERY hard to recruit the best players he could, given his new circumstance. But now his skill at teaching is being tested like never before.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
What I don't get is why aren't we using more of our scholarships on both lines. I would much rather take an extra lineman than another WR or RB that probably won't see the field much anyways.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What I don't get is why aren't we using more of our scholarships on both lines. I would much rather take an extra lineman than another WR or RB that probably won't see the field much anyways.

You have to factor in "strikeout" rate, and development time. Not every WR or RB is ready to play right away, and some just plain aren't good enough to play at this level. Dontae Smith isn't the player he was under CPJ as he was under Choice. It took a few years of development. Malachi Carter and Adonicas Sanders always had the ability, but took some time to develop as well. The same issues we have at OL we have at other positions as well...it's just not as glaring.

Then you have guys who are here for a year or two and transfer out. Transfers will be a BIG disruption in roster management for all teams now.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
These problems that we are describing with our OL are like a yearly broken record. The only year in recent memory is 2014 where we have had consistent season long OL play. Every year the same refrain - injuries, defections, youth, no depth.......We used to blame Sewak, I think with good reason. They recruited too many projects, that never saw the field. Key's margin for error has been reduced since he came from Alabama. The talent they consistently recruit at Bama enabled them to build depth over the years- plug and play. This year and next should tell the tale for our OL. IMO, Key has worked VERY hard to recruit the best players he could, given his new circumstance. But now his skill at teaching is being tested like never before.
Depth has been a problem at GT for as long as I have been a fan. No coach has made it better and no coach has made it worse. IIWII

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

But there's a QB coach, Weinke. Would they both be grooming the QB's?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

My good friend who I played HS football with, and now coaches at a very prominent HS in Cobb County (they sent multiple players to GT, and countless other players to P5 schools...had THREE 5 star recruits at the same time one year) told me that when dealing with talent, you have to go by the rule of thirds. 1/3rd of players at a given position will be good and play at the level you need Day 1 (Ready made players), 1/3rd will need time to develop (developmental contributors), and 1/3rd will probably never contribute at a meaningful level (the strikeouts).

At a school like GT, where development is key for our success, if we don't hit on recruits, and talent doesn't develop like we thought, it hurts us more because we don't recruit high level recruits (4 and 5 star players) at a high rate like the teams we aspire to become. This is a school that has to count on guys developing. By year 2 or 3, guys need to contribute at a meaningful level. If the guys we count on in first 1/3rd (Ready made players) second 1/3rd scenario (the developmental contributors) don't pan out, then we're looking at a 50% strikeout rate...which is crippling for a school like GT that doesn't have an assembly line of talent.

One thing we have to work with is the transfer portal. Unfortunately, CGC has had guys we were counting on to contribute either get hurt, or just didnt develop to play at a high level. We really need to hit on more of the transfers.