Building an Offensive Line

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We had almost half our wins since 2020 this season. More than half since Key took over. Guess it doesn’t take 5 years to build an OL

Not sure how you get to the last sentence from the first two. Since this is year 4 and Key has been in charge of the OL in some form or fashion the entire time I'd say that 5 years to build an OL was pretty on the spot. Our OL was passable this year, but still had issues. Looking for next year to be a really solid unit.

slugboy

Staff member
Not sure how you get to the last sentence from the first two. Since this is year 4 and Key has been in charge of the OL in some form or fashion the entire time I'd say that 5 years to build an OL was pretty on the spot. Our OL was passable this year, but still had issues. Looking for next year to be a really solid unit.
Because I saw no progress for years, and it looks like Geep Wade got the OL turned around mostly in one year

slugboy

Staff member
it is really hard to make progress on the oline without live reps.
That would argue that it shouldn’t take 5 years, and that the reason it did was poor training practices.
Worst case, pre-transfer-portal, a good coach who recruits decently should be able to train up a a recruiting class in three years—juniors should be able to anchor a line, and for the juniors that don’t then a sophomore or freshman should be able to.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
it is really hard to make progress on the oline without live reps.

I don't think GT fans understand how important this is...and how much of a detriment Collins had on our OL/DL development. They lost years of important reps. Contrast it to how fast this year's OL developed. Almost impossible to develop in the trenches without live contact reps. Not only individually, but timing and chemistry as a unit.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That would argue that it shouldn’t take 5 years, and that the reason it did was poor training practices.
Worst case, pre-transfer-portal, a good coach who recruits decently should be able to train up a a recruiting class in three years—juniors should be able to anchor a line, and for the juniors that don’t then a sophomore or freshman should be able to.

it doesn't take 5 years.

Johnson had a functional scratch built OL in 2008 using converted DL and Tight ends as tackles. Lundsford tookover at Georgia Southern and immediately had a workign Oline that the year before had been atrocious.

It only took Kirby smart one year to fix uga's line etc.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
it doesn't take 5 years.

Johnson had a functional scratch built OL in 2008 using converted DL and Tight ends as tackles. Lundsford tookover at Georgia Southern and immediately had a workign Oline that the year before had been atrocious.

It only took Kirby smart one year to fix uga's line etc.

Talent that Johnson and Kirby started with was significantly different than the talent we started with 4 years ago.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If Collins improved the talent level for Key then why didn’t the wins go up? Did Collins coach progressively worse as his players got more established? ;)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Talent that Johnson and Kirby started with was significantly different than the talent we started with 4 years ago.
Not true at all with Johnson. We played a walk on at center and converted people to be tackles because the talent we had on the oline was equally not suited to his style of offense

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If Collins improved the talent level for Key then why didn’t the wins go up? Did Collins coach progressively worse as his players got more established? ;)
If the scheme and playcalling are not suited to the skill of the players you have, you’re a 3-win-a-season team, regardless of how good the players you have are.

The OL is still a work in progress, but they’re much better on the field now that we’re calling plays and scheming to the strength of our players.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If the scheme and playcalling are not suited to the skill of the players you have, you’re a 3-win-a-season team, regardless of how good the players you have are.

The OL is still a work in progress, but they’re much better on the field now that we’re calling plays and scheming to the strength of our players.
Yeah that’s basically my view on it - no amount of years would let Collins build a great line; a good staff could have at least made progress by year 2 and then gone up from there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not true at all with Johnson. We played a walk on at center and converted people to be tackles because the talent we had on the oline was equally not suited to his style of offense

I mean CPJ inherited an NFL player on the OL. The players were a lot more suitable to running the 3O than the 3O players were to running the new blocking schemes.

Either way, I've been saying it will take 4-6 years to get the OL to gel since we started this new experiment in 2019. All the coaches I talked to told me the same thing. I was mocked on here for saying it would take 4-6 years but turns out those coaches were right.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If a it takes 5 years to get here even when the first 3.5 were a complete disaster of an HC then it’s hard to believe a competent coach couldn’t do it in 3.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I mean CPJ inherited an NFL player on the OL. The players were a lot more suitable to running the 3O than the 3O players were to running the new blocking schemes.

Either way, I've been saying it will take 4-6 years to get the OL to gel since we started this new experiment in 2019. All the coaches I talked to told me the same thing. I was mocked on here for saying it would take 4-6 years but turns out those coaches were right.
Gardner underwent season-ending surgery to repair his left shoulder during the 2008 season

He did but gardner was injured in 08 came back played a good 09 then was in the nfl. He was alsoa 2 star recruit out of highschool. Great player but could just as easily have not had an "nfl" lineman by recruiting stats.

4-6 year estimates wer ehow long to retool to running a RPO.

We currently are not running an RPO scheme, we are running an outside zone and zone option scheme with a more traditional Pass tree. If we had ran this in 2019 we'd have done far better.