Bruce Jordan-Swilling could be out for season

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That's disappointing, BJS has played pretty well for us this season. I am glad we've spent so much time rotating guys in to get reps though this season, I feel comfortable that we won't have a significant dropoff with him out.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If that's the case...I should never be injured.

I heard Leo Mazzone say that Cox had said that. However, Maddox wasn't unathletic. He wasn't making a general statement, but comparing Maddox to steroid bulked pitchers. I recall that in the early 90s there were copious cases of bulked up pitchers suffering from various muscle and tendon injuries.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The only reason working out too much could cause injuries is because it's causing someone to play tired causing improper biomechanics. These guys don't appear to be playing tired. The injuries this season are because sometimes stuff happens. Correlation to more video being released of workouts is not causation

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The only reason working out too much could cause injuries is because it's causing someone to play tired causing improper biomechanics. These guys don't appear to be playing tired. The injuries this season are because sometimes stuff happens. Correlation to more video being released of workouts is not causation
In addition, some of the season-enders were unavoidable. I recall that at least two players had their seasons ended due to surgery that needed to happen sometime soon. They would have still needed those surgeries regardless of our current training regimen.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly Bobby Cox said that the reason Greg Maddux never got injured was that he has a spare tire in the mid-section. (i.e. his body wasn't too tight causing groin, oblique, elbow, shoulder, etc pulls)

Bo Jackson's body was so strong that he pulled his hip out of socket and popped it back in again during a football game.

People do need to stretch to ensure that their bodies are still loose. With that said, I'm sure the strength and conditioning staff knows what they are doing and work to make sure the players are strong and flexible.
I am not sure how injuries in a non contact sport like baseball compare to football injuries.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Don't see this as anything like '15. That was an anomaly for the ages. Think we've lost 5 guys for the year so I'd imagine that's about the same as most everyone else.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure how injuries in a non contact sport like baseball compare to football injuries.

Football players have non-contact injuries also.

My first post in this thread was a response to someone asking if heavy workouts potentially being a cause of injuries was a serious question, which I assume was a suggestion that the question was unreasonable. I'm not a doctor, but I can think of two ways in which heavy exercise can potentially cause injury. First a person could be so tired from exercising that they can't control muscles and pull something. The staff is using the Catapult system and have said that they track effort to make sure that the players are working within their limits, so it appears that being too tired is probably not the case. The second is that a person's muscles, ligaments, and tendons can be too tight. Most trainers know this. Football isn't like body building where just having large muscles is the goal. Football players, even linemen, have to be able to move quickly. I am fairly confident that the strength and conditioning staff if trying to make sure that the guys are not just strong, but that they stretch and are loose enough to move quickly and to not injure themselves. Therefore training to be too tight is probably not the case.

I think it is a legitimate question. I also think that the answer is that the work out regiment is not the cause of injuries.