BRINGING THE JUICE

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It has become apparent to me that the definition of “juice” is a little fuzzy. At first I thought it was a pretty straight forward description of the energy and effort a player brings to practice. But as I listen to coaches, fans and players use the term they each seem to mean something different. What does the term mean? Can a quiet leader who is something of an introvert possess juice? What are the objective markers for “juice” that we can point to that have nothing to do with personality, outward rah-rah vocalization, or how much you challenge your teammates to give “110 percent”?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nonsense. Just a new word for energy - but energy must always be under playing fundamentally sound FB, or it’s a bunch of wasted energy. I’m fine with the word juice for high energy, but I want to see well coached fundamentals even more.

As a side note,I would think a D filled with “juice” would be one of the hardest hitting in America, but that is not what I witnessed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'd say "juice" is that intangible that a player/coach brings to the field/locker room that makes those around them better.
Vague but I like it. A player who makes those around him better is a great attribute.

By that definition, of course, not everyone can “bring the juice.” Even a team like Alabama probably has no more than five starters on either side of the ball who raise everyone’s level of play.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Vague but I like it. A player who makes those around him better is a great attribute.

By that definition, of course, not everyone can “bring the juice.” Even a team like Alabama probably has no more than five starters on either side of the ball who raise everyone’s level of play.
Yeah, but we can all strive to make those around us better.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If u have juice, your butt does not fly up when u make a tackle.

We sounded good till point of contact.
Not talking about dl and lb.

The dbs in bowl games, even the lower bowls, are way superior to ours. Okla state were great.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’ll take a stab at this. I think juice is CGC’s way of talking about positive energy, the same concept Jon Gordon lays out in the energy bus.. it’s not specific to talent as much as effort and relentless positivity and belief in oneself.

He wants guys who will line up and go all out on every rep against “the opposition” without caring who it is on the other side of the ball. They may be scrubs or world beaters, a dude with juice doesn’t care they just put the ball down and play to the top of their ability. It’s the same message as coaches like Saban talking about measuring his teams against his standard for them and not how the beat the other guys. I like this concept a lot. Bad news is, IMHO, that the message got lost inside the idea of swagger and bravado, in many ways and times even worse in false bravado with our guys.

Going to work and making a play, then trotting the ball back to the ref and lining back up to do it again? Juice.

Jawing at the other guy after doing no more than your job? Bravado.

Clapping and celebrating a receiver dropping a pass after you got beat? False Bravado.

To me it is about guys who do their job and revel in the satisfaction of work for the sake of work:

• Gibbs showing up to the gym early to put in work so he could stay ahead of the opposition.
  • Sims and Yates cheering each other on from the sideline.
  • Defensive backs crediting DL for hurrying passers to cause INTs

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Someone should dig up the many faces of Nesbitt meme. It was awesome
This is the "FACE OF JUICE"

1641087168688.png

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I’ll take a stab at this. I think juice is CGC’s way of talking about positive energy, the same concept Jon Gordon lays out in the energy bus.. it’s not specific to talent as much as effort and relentless positivity and belief in oneself.

He wants guys who will line up and go all out on every rep against “the opposition” without caring who it is on the other side of the ball. They may be scrubs or world beaters, a dude with juice doesn’t care they just put the ball down and play to the top of their ability. It’s the same message as coaches like Saban talking about measuring his teams against his standard for them and not how the beat the other guys. I like this concept a lot. Bad news is, IMHO, that the message got lost inside the idea of swagger and bravado, in many ways and times even worse in false bravado with our guys.

Going to work and making a play, then trotting the ball back to the ref and lining back up to do it again? Juice.

Clapping and celebrating a receiver dropping a pass after you got beat? False Bravado.

To me it is about guys who do their job and revel in the satisfaction of work for the sake of work:

• Gibbs showing up to the gym early to put in work so he could stay ahead of the opposition.
@MidtownJacket 👍👏👏👏, great examples.

Both bravado examples are grating imo.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Exactly! I was watching some bowl game...one of the horrible ones I think...and a player jumped up after making a tackle eight yards past the LOS and basically did an end-zone dance. I told the misses, "that'd be like the guy at the grocery store doing a dance after he loads each bag of groceries in my cart." I don't get it, I must be honest.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Exactly! I was watching some bowl game...one of the horrible ones I think...and a player jumped up after making a tackle eight yards past the LOS and basically did an end-zone dance. I told the misses, "that'd be like the guy at the grocery store doing a dance after he loads each bag of groceries in my cart." I don't get it, I must be honest.
It would be like the grocery guy dropping the cantaloupe and doing a dance after he picked it up and bagged it.