Bright Spots

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
OFFENSE:

Mason:
Jordan Mason looked like a man out there dragging defenders and breaking tackles. He is clearly our #1. I like Howard receiving out of the backfield and Griffin looked good on his first carry, but Mason looked GREAT.

Brown: I wondered throughout the game if we would get to see him make an impact. It took awhile but boy he did. Great speed and good catch on a ball that was coming down directly over his head in the EZ (not the easiest to haul in cleanly). I thought we might see him in jet motion or some other creative way to get him the ball in space...?

DEFENSE:

One-on-one tackling:
Even though we got absolutely manhandled on the DL (no other way to put it), I thought we matched up physically when it came to bringing guys down. We actually laid several good licks on all-ACC type guys.

Swilling: It's already been said, but Tre had a good game. I still don't see the elite speed and quickness needed for a shutdown corner, but he is a balanced CB with good instincts.

Deleted member 2897

Trevor Lawrence had 13 completions, 168 yards, 1 Td, and 2 INT. And 62 of those yards cane on the bomb to Higgins. He had 47 yards passing at halftime LOL.

Tackling was much better.

Harvin is the man.

Swilling was good, but so was the secondary. Even on the Higgins bomb, Walton was right there and Higgins had to push off.

The OL did just fine. We were not running for our lives every play. Sure, on a few, but it’s Clemson. We had ample time to throw.

I still think we can win 8 games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Trevor Lawrence had 13 completions, 168 yards, 1 Td, and 2 INT. And 62 of those yards cane on the bomb to Higgins. He had 47 yards passing at halftime LOL.

Tackling was much better.

Harvin is the man.

Swilling was good, but so was the secondary. Even on the Higgins bomb, Walton was right there and Higgins had to push off.

The OL did just fine. We were not running for our lives every play. Sure, on a few, but it’s Clemson. We had ample time to throw.

I still think we can win 8 games.
I'll go 7 wins

bos

Helluva Engineer
The offensive and defensive line is where it's at. There were some bright spots, but ultimately can't win these games without the big boys. Losing Braun and Adams prematurely hurt a lot.

I think Kaleb Oliver and Jaquan Henderson played well on defense and special teams. Chris Martin was able to penetrate a few times.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
My big takeaway is that these kids can ball. We have athletes.

It's going to be an uphill battle, and there's a lot of growing to do. But this was WEEK ONE against the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. I can see the groundwork, and I think bowl eligibility is not some impossible goal. This wasn't much of a measuring stick. A lot of teams would have this outcome. Y'all are right, 7 or 8 wins is doable.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought our D looked good - despite getting hung for a bunch of points. Esp the Secondary. Clemson is going to score on every team they play in ACC - but I thought there were several good series on D to 'build on'.

Didn't see alot of change in S/T play - but we only punted and had touchback k/o returns for most part.

Need to establish an Offensive identity and work it.

Score was bad - but REALLY we should have known it was coming. We need to ensure it doesn't erode recruiting efforts.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
In my long view the most fascinating part of this season will be Collins himself. We are watching a true on the job learning curve for him. No one knows which direction it will go and I’m rooting for him because you can tell he wants to be here and loves GT but we are watching a guy who has worked his tail off, uprooted his family multiple times, moved a thousand miles outside his comfort zone to Philly, all in order to get to the this critical point in his life where he’ll either take the next step or go back to a level he knows he can succeed. We can all relate to him as we’ve all had those critical points in our own careers. Very similar to the Dabo scenario we all have watched play out to incredible success. With Coach Johnson he was already past that point in his career so his GT time was about X’s and O’s. Collins is a human interest story for GT. So far I’ve loved all his moves and have liked his staff decisions especially Key. As the next 24 months play out it’s going to be fascinating to watch his staff decisions as those will be what makes or breaks his chances for success (just like Dabo’s early years).

Natehosch

Georgia Tech Fan
Tackling Looked Good.

Mason Looked Good.

Brown Looked Good.

JG Looked Good.

Swilling Looked Good.

1st Defense played better then the score showed. Turnovers put us back on our 15 twice. Outside of 2 BIG plays I was proud of that group.

Offense is a little Puzzling. Not that it helps playing the best defense in the country , But I was Disappointed with the creativity in the play calling. If there was any bright spot James Graham looked very capable of throwing the ball downfield.

Long Season Ahead but all of this will Make the Winning Much Sweeter.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
A big bright spot for me was that Patenaude called plays that were tailored to the strength of our players. There were times in his press conferences over the summer that he would say "we have historically been..." or "traditionally we...". I was worried he was going to fit a square peg in a round hole of sorts. The offense is something to work on, of course but I have confidence in our OC.

I double Christov's sentiments: effort, Mason, Harvin were all great.

Tobias is tough, a good leader, and a guy our team can follow. You can't help but root for the guy. I just hope the passing game slows down for him a bit. He looked like he was processing too much out there. Guys weren't always open though.

Graham looked decisive and slightly more comfortable. He is definitely a guy to watch

Tre Swilling had the best game for a Tech defensive player that I can remember in a while. He is a legit future NFL prospect

The defense in general had an entirely different feel. Where as last year we had all the talk from the staff that they were going to play aggressive and never did, our defense last night looked very promising.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson had 28 points at half while we had 3 turnovers that cost us 21 total points.

Clemson also had 3 long TD plays that outside of Georgia probably no other team would have scored on.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On some of the other threads, I think there's too much focus on 2019 Tech vs Imaginary Ideal Tech. Obviously no two teams are just alike, but if 2019 Clemson is very similar to 2018 Clemson, its as good a measuring stick as any.

Looking at last year vs Clem compared to this year. The TOP was essentially flipped 36min to 24min our way to 26 to 34 their way. Last year, we had more drives than them, luck of the time/flip. This year, they had more than us.

Some bright spots in the stats. Outside of opponent rushing yards per attempt (Etienne for Heisman), it's largely a push or an improvement. Again, our D was on the field a lot more, we were on the road in a very tough environment, it was the first game in the new system.

Limited sample size, but this year's team looks similar to last year. Meaning, maybe we didn't take a step backward in transitioning, that's a huge win for the program. I think we'll win some games:

upload_2019-8-30_9-31-33.png

upload_2019-8-30_9-58-32.png

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
Chico Bennett was a guy I was surprised to see Above the Line just simply based off his recruiting ranking. Sure he was playing against Clemsons backups backups but those were still scholarship players and he looked unblockable late.