Brent Key contract details

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ken's article is very helpful.

It is clear GT didn't have a huge pool of money, but maximized what they could. The fact that the incentives were largely in line with what I believe the incentives were for Collins suggest this isn't a result of decreasing the guaranteed and increasing the incentives. More, this is what GT could make work with the budget constraints.

According to the AJC article Collins staff was paid $5.7MM last season.
The $10.3MM combined number (Key + staff) is the highest GT has ever paid out.
GT came into this season with $12.1MM fund deficit and then has to pay out $11.4MM to Collins.

According to the USA Today database the total paid to the 10 on field assistants in 2022 was $3.9MM. That was eighth out of eighth among the 8 ACC Schools required to report numbers (the public schools).
If you assume the same 32% increase for both on field and off field support than the new contract would move GT to sixth among the eighth (assuming none of them increase their numbers as well).
That's on paper. GTAA is a non-profit, so the intent is to spend the money. There's more money there than most people suppose.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
Can we refine that to include never been a coordinator at the P5 level (was an OC for 1 year at G5)? I love the hire, but there is a reason he was willing to take a lower salary to get his chance with the big boys. I wish him all the luck and am squarely in his corner.
We can, but that just means more work for me lol.

4 of the 65 P5 coaches had never been a HC or had been a coordinator at the P5 level. Key, Swinney, Joey McGuire for Texas Tech, and Kyle Whittingham.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We can, but that just means more work for me lol.

4 of the 65 P5 coaches had never been a HC or had been a coordinator at the P5 level. Key, Swinney, Joey McGuire for Texas Tech, and Kyle Whittingham.
I like Whittingham (liked him when ND hired him after the O'Leary debacle), Swinney has been successful because he knows how to lead, and I don't know Joey McGuire, but if he's anything like Jerry, show me the money. I think Key will be fine. I think if he gets in over his head, he has lifelines and isn't too egotistical to use them.