Brent Key Coach’s Show Makes 2023 Debut on Aug. 30

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
How was the overall experience? Could you hear well? I had that absolute ****ter of an ATLUTD game last evening but I'm thinking about going next week. It's too bad those condos/office building went up across the Beltline cutting off their view of the skyline.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Just listened on the GT podcast channel via Spotify. I really enjoyed it. I'm either getting used to Andy's voice after all this time, or his voice sounds better and less nasally. Key did a good job, they will get chemistry together as they continue to do these shows.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
How was the overall experience? Could you hear well? I had that absolute ****ter of an ATLUTD game last evening but I'm thinking about going next week. It's too bad those condos/office building went up across the Beltline cutting off their view of the skyline.
There were some sound hiccups at first. I was maybe 15 feet from the stage, with no one directly in front of me, and I had a hard time hearing the first set. They changed out for a better speaker during the commercial break, and that fixed it. During the 3rd set, there was a large beer line and a lot of crowd noise, and once again it was hard to hear what was said. That problem settled out, and things were fine for the rest of the show.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just listened on the GT podcast channel via Spotify. I really enjoyed it. I'm either getting used to Andy's voice after all this time, or his voice sounds better and less nasally. Key did a good job, they will get chemistry together as they continue to do these shows.

Key was definitely messing with Andy like they were both in the locker room after a game giving each other crap. Really liked the way Key was getting the crowd involved as well. He's really growing into and embracing being a head coach.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Key was definitely messing with Andy like they were both in the locker room after a game giving each other crap. Really liked the way Key was getting the crowd involved as well. He's really growing into and embracing being a head coach.
This reminds me of a thought I've had while watching his looseness during pressers...

Key is taking full advantage of the honeymoon period right now. It will be interesting to see how endearing his quirks, jokes, and sarcasm are when the bullets start flying. True for all coaches.

Here's hoping it's smooth sailing on the field and he keeps the breathing room to continue interacting the same way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have had similar thoughts. I know the feeling of confidence that he is portraying and hope it’s justifiable. (I think it will be proven to be).

That said, the “I don’t care about winning, I care about the process” reads better with a Saban winning percentage than it does from someone not getting it done.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That said, the “I don’t care about winning, I care about the process” reads better with a Saban winning percentage than it does from someone not getting it done.

I heard that part and in the back of my mind I wondered if he was trolling the former GT HC as opposed to being serious. I thought I heard some giggles when he said that.

slugboy

Staff member
I have had similar thoughts. I know the feeling of confidence that he is portraying and hope it’s justifiable. (I think it will be proven to be).

Yeah, but I remember Saban going 7-6 his first year, with a loss to Louisiana Monroe. That raised doubts Saban’s first year, even though he’d already won a title at LSU.

Focusing on process is what Key should do. And he needs to be good at it.

O’Leary’s first full year, he went 6-5, BARELY. This season seems comparable, if possibly harder than O’Leary’s first.

For me, if we look like we’re really improving (not “if you can’t see the improvement, you’re not looking”) and Key looks like he’s doing the right things, I’ll be satisfied.

GDateDaySchoolOpponentConfPtsOppWLTStreakNotes
1Sep 2 1995SatGeorgia TechFurmanNon-MajorW517100W 1
2Sep 7 1995ThuGeorgia Tech(17) ArizonaPac-10L1920110L 1
3Sep 16 1995SatGeorgia Tech(16) VirginiaACCL1441120L 2
4Sep 28 1995ThuGeorgia Tech(17) MarylandACCW313220W 1
5Oct 7 1995SatGeorgia TechDukeACCW3721320W 2
6Oct 14 1995SatGeorgia TechNorth CarolinaACCW2725420W 3
7Oct 21 1995SatGeorgia Tech(1) Florida StateACCL1042430L 1
8Oct 28 1995SatGeorgia TechClemsonACCL324440L 2
9Nov 4 1995SatGeorgia TechWake ForestACCW2423540W 1
10Nov 11 1995SatGeorgia TechNorth Carolina StateACCW2719640W 2
11Nov 23 1995ThuGeorgia TechGeorgiaSECL1718650L 1

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 8/31/2023.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This reminds me of a thought I've had while watching his looseness during pressers...

Key is taking full advantage of the honeymoon period right now. It will be interesting to see how endearing his quirks, jokes, and sarcasm are when the bullets start flying. True for all coaches.

Here's hoping it's smooth sailing on the field and he keeps the breathing room to continue interacting the same way.
Funny you should notice the "honeymoon" time.Oddly I ran into Bill Curry when he was made head coach at a restaurant and he was SO pleasant to see a Tech guy. Er., some time /much yrs later the same thing happened and he a bit less cordial. hmmm

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, but I remember Saban going 7-6 his first year, with a loss to Louisiana Monroe. That raised doubts Saban’s first year, even though he’d already won a title at LSU.

Focusing on process is what Key should do. And he needs to be good at it.

O’Leary’s first full year, he went 6-5, BARELY. This season seems comparable, if possibly harder than O’Leary’s first.

For me, if we look like we’re really improving (not “if you can’t see the improvement, you’re not looking”) and Key looks like he’s doing the right things, I’ll be satisfied.

GDateDaySchoolOpponentConfPtsOppWLTStreakNotes
1Sep 2 1995SatGeorgia TechFurmanNon-MajorW517100W 1
2Sep 7 1995ThuGeorgia Tech(17) ArizonaPac-10L1920110L 1
3Sep 16 1995SatGeorgia Tech(16) VirginiaACCL1441120L 2
4Sep 28 1995ThuGeorgia Tech(17) MarylandACCW313220W 1
5Oct 7 1995SatGeorgia TechDukeACCW3721320W 2
6Oct 14 1995SatGeorgia TechNorth CarolinaACCW2725420W 3
7Oct 21 1995SatGeorgia Tech(1) Florida StateACCL1042430L 1
8Oct 28 1995SatGeorgia TechClemsonACCL324440L 2
9Nov 4 1995SatGeorgia TechWake ForestACCW2423540W 1
10Nov 11 1995SatGeorgia TechNorth Carolina StateACCW2719640W 2
11Nov 23 1995ThuGeorgia TechGeorgiaSECL1718650L 1

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 8/31/2023.
That Maryland game was awesome, I consider that to be the turning point of the program (at least, that iteration of the team). After suffering through 1992 - 1994, it was a big deal. We really should've beat Arizona.

And Rudy was offsides.