Breakout Season?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
i’m not a fan of the mentality people have when it comes to sims acting like collins and patenaude were the only reason he played and they were afraid to bench him cause he was there guy. in the first two years of sims career he was still substantially better than the qbs we have on the roster. nothing about what we’ve seen from guys like graham and yates indicated they were in any way capable of performing better. i think the takeaway now should be there are actual competitive options at the position so they actually CAN bench sims should the need arise.

there was even an article on JOL last year that said we had to severely limit the playbook when sims wasn’t in because the other options didn’t have the tools to run the same plays
My point was maybe not articulated as well as I had hoped. I agree in principle that our depth pieces behind Sims coming into the year are more viable (that's why I explicitly mentioned them).

My issue with what CDP did was that we essentially built an O Scheme around a single piece (QB1) that QB2->QBLast weren't able to run. Then didn't run that scheme particularly well with QB1 anyway. Sims would have been fine running more quick hit, option style reads (that Yates or Graham could have handled better). That we had to "Severely limit" as you mention CDP acknowledged shows what we were running wasn't in the best interest of the team. Sometimes a guy (especially a young one) needs to sit a series to watch what's going on, get coached up, regain their composure and also have an in-game consequence to use that is indicative of Winning/Losing but is an intermediate step before the game is decided.

I think the O Philosophy of CDL is going to bring will let us focus more on the RB depth, outer edge threats that hopefully the Wideouts will bring and the interior runs/seam catches from the TEs. Taking a little bit off of Sims' shoulders WHILE ALSO reminding him his spot isn't given but earned will hopefully we a difference maker in our performance.

JacketFan137

Banned
My point was maybe not articulated as well as I had hoped. I agree in principle that our depth pieces behind Sims coming into the year are more viable (that's why I explicitly mentioned them).

My issue with what CDP did was that we essentially built an O Scheme around a single piece (QB1) that QB2->QBLast weren't able to run. Then didn't run that scheme particularly well with QB1 anyway. Sims would have been fine running more quick hit, option style reads (that Yates or Graham could have handled better). That we had to "Severely limit" as you mention CDP acknowledged shows what we were running wasn't in the best interest of the team. Sometimes a guy (especially a young one) needs to sit a series to watch what's going on, get coached up, regain their composure and also have an in-game consequence to use that is indicative of Winning/Losing but is an intermediate step before the game is decided.

I think the O Philosophy of CDL is going to bring will let us focus more on the RB depth, outer edge threats that hopefully the Wideouts will bring and the interior runs/seam catches from the TEs. Taking a little bit off of Sims' shoulders WHILE ALSO reminding him his spot isn't given but earned will hopefully we a difference maker in our performance.
yeah i think a lot of what i’ve read and watched from longs offenses are actually things that lend themselves well to sims’ and the teams strengths (going fast, quick developing plays where he can get the ball off quick rather than pray the o line isn’t a sieve)

hard not to feel significantly better about the o going forward. also think our qb room has been so elevated the whole team will see some benefits (better scout team, game plans don’t have to be so drastically different)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I see improvement!

4 wins.

Wish I saw more. Main problem = OlL inexperience. DL too, but that's not as vital. I do think that Smith will have a good year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
As far as breakout PLAYERS (un-noticed before)-- Kaleb Edwards--rover , M.Scott-DT ,- -ONE of a the 2 dozen DBs we have, ---DJ Moore-WR,, --I would like an OL but even if one guy is doing well ,the group will struggle so you can't tell it much

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Win 4, and I'm pleasantly surprised.
Win 5, and I'm cautiously optimistic.
Win 6, and I'm completely dumbfounded.

Oh...win 3 or less, and I'm listening for the announcement about our next HC.