Breakout Quarterbacks for 2018

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-breakout-quarterbacks-2018

Lets see, you have
#25, A guy who started 6 games last year and threw 6 touchdowns in those games. Threw for 1600 yards (presumably in the 6 games he started plus others he played in) and ran for an impressive 165 yds

#24 QB in a run heavy system that started last year and threw for a total of 1500 yds.

#23 A true Freshman who has never played a down and graduated a year early, so is a year younger than everyone else around him. Hey, hes a 5star though

#21 A guy who "showcased" his running ability by picking up 198 yds on 95 carries.

#20 A mainly running QB (780 yds) who threw for 140 yds/gm last year

#19 A guy who threw for 230yds last year ..... total

#18 A guy who didnt play his senior year in HS, but did perform well in the spring game by completing 10-13 and ran for 60 yds. At least he is operating in Scott Frost's offense.

#16 A guy who nearly led his team to an upset victory over Va Tech.

#10 A guy who has played receiver mainly the last two years.

#8 Tulane. Enough Said

#5 The Navy QB

Cant we get an honorable mention or something for TM? I mean, I have tried my best to take my gold colored glasses off and cannot see how he is not at least as likely, if not more so than many of them, to have a breakout year.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You don’t need to take off the gold colored glasses to know that Tech don’t get no love, man.

Even when Tech beat Clemson in the ACCCG, the highlights were making it sound like Clemson was winning.

When Tech beat uga in 2014 they made it sound like uga won.

It’s just how the cookie crumbles unfortunately

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
almost every single QB on this last (bar #13 at UL-M as the sole exception) didn't start every game last year. Some played in garbage time or were only injured for a few games, but they weren't a complete season starter, so now that its there first time to shine entirely in the spotlight from the get-go, its their time to breakout. So if you're looking for people to breakout by the articles, people who didn't start every game last year will "breakout" compared to last year. So it seems pretty straightforward that GT isn't included as TQM started every game

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why exactly is TM poised for a breakout year? He was a full time starter last year as a redshirt junior. Are you expecting some sort of monster leap in his 5th year here or something? Most of those guys are either young and so there's a good reason to expect they may make big jumps, or getting their first opportunities, which is self explanatory. A redshirt senior who started every game last year not being picked as a breakout star isn't some huge oversight. I have no clue why we have so many fans that are so desperate see disrespect everywhere.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why exactly is TM poised for a breakout year? He was a full time starter last year as a redshirt junior. Are you expecting some sort of monster leap in his 5th year here or something? Most of those guys are either young and so there's a good reason to expect they may make big jumps, or getting their first opportunities, which is self explanatory. A redshirt senior who started every game last year not being picked as a breakout star isn't some huge oversight. I have no clue why we have so many fans that are so desperate see disrespect everywhere.

5th year senior yes. 2nd year as starting QB. I dunnovif he will “break out” but I do expect him to improve his game with a year under his belt and an offseason to improve.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
5th year senior yes. 2nd year as starting QB. I dunnovif he will “break out” but I do expect him to improve his game with a year under his belt and an offseason to improve.
Marshall never redshirted.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

He'll improve, but it will be marginally so and as a refinement more likely than not. There is a reason the list includes mostly freshmen from last year or guys who are going to get their first opportunity to really show what they can do. The level TM would have to play out to be considered breaking out isn't really something that anyone outside the fanbase is going to expect. Sure, he might run for 150 a game, make an all conference team, and lead us to double digits. Do you not see why people outside our fanbase wouldn't think that really likely though?

Marshall never redshirted.

Yeah, I recognized that after I posted and was too late to edit. I keep thinking he after he moved from AB to QB for some reason.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I was comparing GT QBS and I dug this up....
J. Thomas won Alabama state 4A-6A championship in 100-meters with time of 10.79 second and Taquon was an all-region performer in track as a senior, running the 100m in 10.8 seconds.... WOW.. I didn't realize that both have similar top end speed...I knew Marshall was quick however I did not know he was JeT quick!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-breakout-quarterbacks-2018

Lets see, you have
#25, A guy who started 6 games last year and threw 6 touchdowns in those games. Threw for 1600 yards (presumably in the 6 games he started plus others he played in) and ran for an impressive 165 yds

#24 QB in a run heavy system that started last year and threw for a total of 1500 yds.

#23 A true Freshman who has never played a down and graduated a year early, so is a year younger than everyone else around him. Hey, hes a 5star though

#21 A guy who "showcased" his running ability by picking up 198 yds on 95 carries.

#20 A mainly running QB (780 yds) who threw for 140 yds/gm last year

#19 A guy who threw for 230yds last year ..... total

#18 A guy who didnt play his senior year in HS, but did perform well in the spring game by completing 10-13 and ran for 60 yds. At least he is operating in Scott Frost's offense.

#16 A guy who nearly led his team to an upset victory over Va Tech.

#10 A guy who has played receiver mainly the last two years.

#8 Tulane. Enough Said

#5 The Navy QB

Cant we get an honorable mention or something for TM? I mean, I have tried my best to take my gold colored glasses off and cannot see how he is not at least as likely, if not more so than many of them, to have a breakout year.

I’m not sure mainstream audiences consider GT QB’s as QB’s.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
TM has proven he can run, so there is probably not much room there for “breakout” improvement. Last year, he threw, on average, just over ten passes per game. If our running game is working, our passing game is just to keep the defense honest. So, if he throws the same number of passes this year, and completes only one or two more of those passes each game, he will have “broken out” as far as we are concerned, but not nearly enough to catch anyone else’s eye - except, maybe, the DCs of our opponents.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think TM's improvement individually will be modest, most likely. However, just a modest gain will have a major impact on the O as a whole, especially when coupled with a modest gain at every other position on offense. I expect the offense to breakout this year!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think TM's improvement depends on what color shirts we wear at the games. That may not be good.

really if the OL holds he will be fine even if everyone wears navy blue.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think TaQuon Marshall goes out with a bang in 2018:cool: I think he will pass for 14-16 touchdown passes and run for 10 while piling up 1000+ yards again in his senior season:cool: I think TaQuon will have a good shot at being named the 1st team All-ACC Quarterback at the end of the season:cool:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Definitely NOT hoping for this, but Taquon is not a big guy, and I was surprised he made it through the season last year without an extended time off related to injury. I would never want one of our guys to suffer any injuries.

I think it is highly unlikely to think that will happen again, so I hope Lucas is ready, because I think it is 90% that he will have to see some significant minutes this year.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
almost every single QB on this last (bar #13 at UL-M as the sole exception) didn't start every game last year. Some played in garbage time or were only injured for a few games, but they weren't a complete season starter, so now that its there first time to shine entirely in the spotlight from the get-go, its their time to breakout. So if you're looking for people to breakout by the articles, people who didn't start every game last year will "breakout" compared to last year. So it seems pretty straightforward that GT isn't included as TQM started every game

Point well taken and I think I was looking at the article from the wrong perspective. Mentally I had replaced "breakout season" with "outstanding season".

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Definitely NOT hoping for this, but Taquon is not a big guy, and I was surprised he made it through the season last year without an extended time off related to injury. I would never want one of our guys to suffer any injuries.

I think it is highly unlikely to think that will happen again, so I hope Lucas is ready, because I think it is 90% that he will have to see some significant minutes this year.

I agree with this and think I posted in one of the "what are the keys to success for 2018" threads the same thing. While I am amazed he didn't miss time due to injury last year, I think this year he may take less punishment as he (hopefully) increases his comfort level with the offense and reads and carries the ball less than he did last year.