Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

patrickr21

Georgia Tech Fan
Stadium looks better than it ever has since I’ve been a fan (‘04). Am I crazy, or did they paint the aisles on the upper stands gold? Looks sharp from the arial view.

I wasn’t crazy about the two different color end zone, but they look very good from this view. Proud of GT for being strategic with how they used the money they have to facelift the stadium!

Now we just need to move the student section to where the club seats are 😉.

Stadium looks better than it ever has since I’ve been a fan (‘04). Am I crazy, or did they paint the aisles on the upper stands gold? Looks sharp from the arial view.

I wasn’t crazy about the two different color end zone, but they look very good from this view. Proud of GT for being strategic with how they used the money they have to facelift the stadium!

Now we just need to move the student section to where the club seats are 😉.
Looks like it's not just the upper decks that has gold aisles now; it's all over the stadium. That looks great. And I agree, the students should be on the sidelines where they used to sit. But the big donors who buy those club seats would not like that at all.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Looks like it's not just the upper decks that has gold aisles now; it's all over the stadium. That looks great. And I agree, the students should be on the sidelines where they used to sit. But the big donors who buy those club seats would not like that at all.

That isn't a problem, just: expand the club area, put recliners in there, put more and larger TVs in there: and the people who supposedly sit in those seats won't know the difference.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In case anyone was wondering what the Falcons field was going to look like this year:
4225E5B3-E867-48F1-A2DF-B52266CB4106.jpeg

I think it would be cool if when Tech played their home games at MBS if they left the ATL in the end zones (repainted of course) and replaced the “Atlanta Falcons” on either side of the ATL with “Georgia Tech” in one end zone and “Yellow Jackets” in the other.
Also, the ATL logo used on the tarp in the sideline seats looks extremely similar to the GTxATL logo that we used last year. Maybe if GT starts to have success the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks will start to help co-brand the ATL

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Maybe if GT starts to have success the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks will start to help co-brand the ATL

We went 3-9 last year and they are already stealing it from us. The pro sports teams broadcast will not give GT any credit for "branding" ATL. But maybe the Falcons did pay to use the ATL font, if we were able to trademark it of course. Most GT thing ever if we didn't. :banghead:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We went 3-9 last year and they are already stealing it from us. The pro sports teams broadcast will not give GT any credit for "branding" ATL. But maybe the Falcons did pay to use the ATL font, if we were able to trademark it of course. Most GT thing ever if we didn't. :banghead:
Which is why I set the pre cursor for success, and the point was “co-branding.” There’s no point for the pro teams to promote themselves with GT right now because we’ve been terrible at every sport for about 5 years running now, while UGA has been picking up a ton of steam. If GT starts competing for championships like UGA has, and makes COFH relevant again, the pro teams will have more reason to co-brand with GT.

Which is why I set the pre cursor for success, and the point was “co-branding.” There’s no point for the pro teams to promote themselves with GT right now because we’ve been terrible at every sport for about 5 years running now, while UGA has been picking up a ton of steam. If GT starts competing for championships like UGA has, and makes COFH relevant again, the pro teams will have more reason to co-brand with GT.
"terrible at every sport"? Football and men's basketball, yes, but there are plenty of other sports at Tech, and most of them do quite well, even in comparison to the mutts. Women's basketball hasn't quite made it over the hump, but last year they beat the mutts 73-40. Men's golf is always one of the top golf teams in the country and has members who have won the last two US Amateur Championships. Men's baseball always seems to come up short in the end, but they are definitely not terrible. I frankly don't know much at all about softball and volleyball, but in swimming and T&F we seem to have held our own through the years.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
"terrible at every sport"? Football and men's basketball, yes, but there are plenty of other sports at Tech, and most of them do quite well, even in comparison to the mutts. Women's basketball hasn't quite made it over the hump, but last year they beat the mutts 73-40. Men's golf is always one of the top golf teams in the country and has members who have won the last two US Amateur Championships. Men's baseball always seems to come up short in the end, but they are definitely not terrible. I frankly don't know much at all about softball and volleyball, but in swimming and T&F we seem to have held our own through the years.
:facepalm: Hyperbole exists, ya know. But I was referring to the “big 3” of college athletics. Which include football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Since 2015, those 3 sports have combined to make 4 postseason appearances (NIT doesn’t count). Baseball is 0-2 in regionals, football is 1-1 in bowl games, and basketball hasn’t made it to the NCAAT in a decade.
Those 3 teams are a combined 5-22 vs. UGA since 2015.
Softball hasn’t made a regional since 2012, and women’s basketball hasn’t made the NCAAT since 2014. Volleyball also hasn’t made the NCAAT in the last 5 years, and I honesty couldn’t find the last time they made it.
All of those stats are what I would consider “terrible” for a P5 team in a talent rich state, in the most populous metro-area in the south. As good as GT golf has been, college golf does nothing to move the needle for the perception of an athletic program. I am a big backer of GT baseball. I understand the challenges they’ve faced the past few years. But they’ve been a very average P5 program since the 2010s started. I’m sure other sports have had successful years that have flew under my radar since my arbitrary cutoff of 2015. But it doesn’t change the fact that GT athletics as a whole have been terrible for the past half decade.

Even with all of that said, none of it is relevant to my original point of hoping that the professional Atlanta teams start to co-brand “ATL” with GT if and when GT becomes relevant nationally again, becauseGT hasn’t been relevant in any sport since before 2010, when we were relevant in all of them.

:facepalm: Hyperbole exists, ya know. But I was referring to the “big 3” of college athletics. Which include football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Since 2015, those 3 sports have combined to make 4 postseason appearances (NIT doesn’t count). Baseball is 0-2 in regionals, football is 1-1 in bowl games, and basketball hasn’t made it to the NCAAT in a decade.
Softball hasn’t made a regional since 2012, and women’s basketball hasn’t made the NCAAT since 2014. Volleyball also hasn’t made the NCAAT in the last 5 years, and I honesty couldn’t find the last time they made it.
All of those stats are what I would consider “terrible” for a P5 team in a talent rich state, in the most populous metro-area in the south. As good as GT golf has been, college golf does nothing to move the needle for the perception of an athletic program. I am a big backer of GT baseball. I understand the challenges they’ve faced the past few years. But they’ve been a very average P5 program since the 2010s started. I’m sure other sports have had successful years that have flew under my radar since my arbitrary cutoff of 2015. But it doesn’t change the fact that GT athletics as a whole have been terrible for the past half decade.

Even with all of that said, none of it is relevant to my original point of hoping that the professional Atlanta teams start to co-brand “ATL” with GT if and when GT becomes relevant nationally again, becauseGT hasn’t been relevant in any sport since before 2010, when we were relevant in all of them.
Didn't the basketball team win 4 in a row (or maybe 3) over the mutts under Gregory? Women's basketball has done damn good against the mutts in the past few years. Baseball, like I said, never seems to get over the hump (I blame Danny Hall for that), but they too have won some over the mutts in the past few years. So I question your 5-22 record; that doesn't add up. Meanwhile, Tech is not the only school in the state with sub-par teams. Other than football, Georgia hasn't been exactly setting the world on fire either.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Didn't the basketball team win 4 in a row (or maybe 3) over the mutts under Gregory? Women's basketball has done damn good against the mutts in the past few years. Baseball, like I said, never seems to get over the hump (I blame Danny Hall for that), but they too have won some over the mutts in the past few years. So I question your 5-22 record; that doesn't add up. Meanwhile, Tech is not the only school in the state with sub-par teams. Other than football, Georgia hasn't been exactly setting the world on fire either.
Baseball is 4-13 since 2015
Basketball is 0-5 since 2015
Football is 1-4 since 2015.
That’s 5-22
If you go by baseball series wins instead of individual game wins, then baseball is 1-3-1 (1-1 split in 2015) but has been swept twice, and has not swept them.
So counting baseball series and not total wins, the COFH record in the big 3 sports since 2015 is: 2-12-1. That’s pretty terrible.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing here. The fact is that Tech has been mediocre at best in every major sport since 2015, and has gotten dominated by UGA over that time frame. And it’s still not relevant to my point about the future and not the past.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

i remember last year the Volleyball team got screwed. think they were the only team in the ACC top 5? that didnt make the tournament and they weren't 5th either. also won the NVIC which i think is their version of the NIT

infact, they finished second and won their last 10 matches and still didnt make the NCAA tournament

MidtownJacket

Staff member
haha well I was wrong about Sims starting the season and appear to be wrong about them switching it to match one way or another on the endzone colorway scheme.

Woops.