Braves Spring Training

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Braves spring training about to crank up. What are the top stories of spring in your opinion?
I want to see how well Kelenic can fit into the lineup and where Snit plans to place him in the lineup. Since the Braves plan to give him everyday at-bats, will he be able to hit lefties well? Will Lopez be able to stick in the rotation? Will Hurston Waldrep impress enough to earn a spot in the rotation? Can Elder reclaim the first-half magic that made him an All-Star? Who will be the bench outfielder carried into Opening Day? How does Sale look?

Lot's of things to look for IMO, but I'm also starved for some baseball.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
I want to see how well Kelenic can fit into the lineup and where Snit plans to place him in the lineup. Since the Braves plan to give him everyday at-bats, will he be able to hit lefties well? Will Lopez be able to stick in the rotation? Will Hurston Waldrep impress enough to earn a spot in the rotation? Can Elder reclaim the first-half magic that made him an All-Star? Who will be the bench outfielder carried into Opening Day? How does Sale look?

Lot's of things to look for IMO, but I'm also starved for some baseball.
Everything he said, but also want to see this new reported Strider curveball.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Everything he said, but also want to see this new reported Strider curveball.
If Strider successfully adds a third pitch he might become unhitable. As it is now if he’s off on one pitch on a given night batters can camp the other. A third pitch gives him a way to pitch around that. Most of the best have 4-5 pitches they can throw, though they may focus on 2-3 in a given game. Having 4-5 pitches can also help get past “the third time through.” If… a pitcher can really throw the pitch and not just use it as a one-off novelty.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Forrest Wall looks like he will be the 4th outfielder carried into the season. He has done quite well in Spring Training and has earned that spot. Bryce Elder is looking really rough this spring. Hopefully Ynoa and Anderson can get ramped up here pretty soon and we can start seeing how they have recovered.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Forrest Wall looks like he will be the 4th outfielder carried into the season. He has done quite well in Spring Training and has earned that spot. Bryce Elder is looking really rough this spring. Hopefully Ynoa and Anderson can get ramped up here pretty soon and we can start seeing how they have recovered.
To me, it looks like the rotation is Strider, Fried, Morton, Sale, and Lopez.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
To me, it looks like the rotation is Strider, Fried, Morton, Sale, and Lopez.
Those 5 have definitely earned it. Lopez has been lights out and Sale looks to have recovered some of his old self. However, with Sale's injury history and Lopez's rough past, we are going to need guys to step up and potentially eat some innings for us. Waldrep has looked great but needs more seasoning, Smith-Shawver needs to work on his mechanics a little and Elder may have just ran out of gas.

Not related to Spring Training, but I am sad to hear that Double A is moving out of Mississippi. It makes sense to have your Minor League clubs close, but it is sad to see them leave.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Starting rotation: Fried, Strider, Morton, Sale, and Lopez. Might not see Lopez the first cycle as there’s a day off after the first game. This will be an interesting rotation to watch.

Nothing much new in the field except the LF position. Looks like a Kelenic/Duvall platoon. Not real exciting, but we’ll have to wait and see. Should be solid in the field and heavy at the plate, again.

Bullpen looks pretty solid at the top with Iglesias, Minter, Johnson, Matzek, and Jimenez. Lee, and Stephens appear to be the next level with perhaps another long reliever added, maybe Logue or Bummer.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Starting rotation: Fried, Strider, Morton, Sale, and Lopez. Might not see Lopez the first cycle as there’s a day off after the first game. This will be an interesting rotation to watch.

Nothing much new in the field except the LF position. Looks like a Kelenic/Duvall platoon. Not real exciting, but we’ll have to wait and see. Should be solid in the field and heavy at the plate, again.

Bullpen looks pretty solid at the top with Iglesias, Minter, Johnson, Matzek, and Jimenez. Lee, and Stephens appear to be the next level with perhaps another long reliever added, maybe Logue or Bummer.
Health will certainly be key, but we look extremely deep pitching-wise. I don't think we have had a pitching staff this strong for a long time. Maybe the 90s?

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry... didn't want to start a new thread. But I was not aware of this new rule. I'm not a fan... based on this.

Oh my....that's one of the most routine baseball plays in existence and now runners will be safe?!?! I get not blocking the bag, but this is taking it to an extreme....

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh my....that's one of the most routine baseball plays in existence and now runners will be safe?!?! I get not blocking the bag, but this is taking it to an extreme....
I have to assume, or at least hope, that was an incorrect application of the rule by the umpire. My understanding is that the fielder can go where the ball takes him, and if that is in front of the bag as it was in this case, that is legal. Blocking only occurs when the fielder is blocking the bag without the ball. It's not actually a new rule, but rather a point of emphasis this season. Fielders around 2nd and 3rd have taken to camping out in front of the bag in recent years without the fear of being aggressively taken out by the runner.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I have to assume, or at least hope, that was an incorrect application of the rule by the umpire. My understanding is that the fielder can go where the ball takes him, and if that is in front of the bag as it was in this case, that is legal. Blocking only occurs when the fielder is blocking the bag without the ball. It's not actually a new rule, but rather a point of emphasis this season. Fielders around 2nd and 3rd have taken to camping out in front of the bag in recent years without the fear of being aggressively taken out by the runner.
Yes. Is this still the rule? I had not heard they changed it.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. Is this still the rule? I had not heard they changed it.
I don't think it is a rule change, just a point of emphasis. I am also convinced it was not properly applied in the example given above. Will be worth watching as the new season gets started later this week. Here is a link to what I could find on the topic: