Braves Regular Season

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
OK, so not much interest in the Braves here. About 20 games late, but did anyone see the gem Fries tossed last night at Truist? Wow! Complete game shutout W only throwing 91 pitches!!! Only 3 batters (29) over the minimum.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, they were calling it a Maddux last night. One of the best pitching performances I’ve seen.
Hopefully this will catapult him back into his groove. It'll be interesting to see how AA navigates the early pitching injuries we have faced. I think for now he is seeing if anybody from within will rise to the occasion. This trade deadline might be very interesting...

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this will catapult him back into his groove. It'll be interesting to see how AA navigates the early pitching injuries we have faced. I think for now he is seeing if anybody from within will rise to the occasion. This trade deadline might be very interesting...
Elder pitched a very good shutout game on Monday as well. If he could step up it would be huge. Got to adequately replace Strider. A rotation of Fried, Sale, Morton, Lopez, and Elder looks pretty good right now. The bullpen has been pretty solid, too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes, they were calling it a Maddux last night. One of the best pitching performances I’ve seen.
IIUC, a "Maddux" is a complete game shutout with under 100 pitches. Some other dude did it the day before, iirc, which is the only reason I stumbled upon that definition.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone just see what happened? Harris at bat with 2 strikes and 2 outs with Acuna on first. Harris fouls off a pitch and the ball hits the dirt, the catcher’s foot, and bounces up about 3’. The catcher snags the ball and the ump calls Harris out. Just a crazy call.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone just see what happened? Harris at bat with 2 strikes and 2 outs with Acuna on first. Harris fouls off a pitch and the ball hits the dirt, the catcher’s foot, and bounces up about 3’. The catcher snags the ball and the ump calls Harris out. Just a crazy call.
Yeah, why is that play not reviewable?? I don't know why you have replay and then you create stipulations about things that can or cannot be looked at even when they're obvious.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Braves get the win, but Iglesias with the blown save. As good as he was two nights prior, he got hit all over the park last night. Lopez with another good start. For the series the Braves pitchers allowed only 3 BB in 28 IP. All 3 were in last night’s game, 2 by Lopez and 1 by Minter. Not bad at all.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Iglesias is giving me the Kenley Jansen experience. Sure, he is a great closer, but it seems like we might as well start the inning with a runner on first because one ends up on base anyway. With his contract running out after next season, it'll be interesting to see if the Braves try to extend him. Big series on tap against the Guardians starting tomorrow night with Sale taking the mound and Ozzie rumored to make his return!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I was listening and I have a theory. The radio guy says the umpire badly missed a strike/ball to Acuna and awarded a ball that shld have clearly been a strike. I'm talking the Braves broadcast so they wouldn't say that lightly. They also mentioned a few other calls that went the Braves way but were bad calls.

I think they knew they missed the Harris call but went with it as a makeup for missing the ones earlier.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I was listening and I have a theory. The radio guy says the umpire badly missed a strike/ball to Acuna and awarded a ball that shld have clearly been a strike. I'm talking the Braves broadcast so they wouldn't say that lightly. They also mentioned a few other calls that went the Braves way but were bad calls.

I think they knew they missed the Harris call but went with it as a makeup for missing the ones earlier.
Could be. Some umps do that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a big Iglesas fan.
He’s not a classic closer. He has a good, sneaky 4-seamer but is not overpowering. Still, in his 4 appearances prior to last night, he gave up no hits and 1 walk while piling up 4 saves. However, he had only had 3 K in those 4 games. Not classic but pretty effective. It will be interesting what AA does when the contract is up. He’ll be 35 years old. If I had to bet, I’d guess they keep him on, if he stays effective, and acquire/groom another closer.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
He’s not a classic closer. He has a good, sneaky 4-seamer but is not overpowering. Still, in his 4 appearances prior to last night, he gave up no hits and 1 walk while piling up 4 saves. However, he had only had 3 K in those 4 games. Not classic but pretty effective. It will be interesting what AA does when the contract is up. He’ll be 35 years old. If I had to bet, I’d guess they keep him on, if he stays effective, and acquire/groom another closer.

Yea, good thoughts. I don't expect perfection, but I do wish he had a little more power.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Braves get the win, but Iglesias with the blown save. As good as he was two nights prior, he got hit all over the park last night. Lopez with another good start. For the series the Braves pitchers allowed only 3 BB in 28 IP. All 3 were in last night’s game, 2 by Lopez and 1 by Minter. Not bad at all.
All of the hits were not hard hit balls though. They were very well placed and he was making good pitches around the zone. It was just one of those nights for him.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
All of the hits were not hard hit balls though. They were very well placed and he was making good pitches around the zone. It was just one of those nights for him.
Agreed. RI pitches to light contact. As mentioned, he’s not a flame thrower who racks up lots of K’s. Last night those balls found their way through. One of those nights.