Brant and Jalen

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
People reacting to a missed sack or a missed tackle is not the summation of entire gm. I don’t remember much high praise for JJ. Bottom line BM his 3yr starter, while JJ is in his 1st yr. The expectations from a 2x Mr. Football is entirely different in scheme where you are to be a major playmaker in than the stinger. I thought he played ok, but you expect your captain to make certain amount of plays

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I also thought Tre Swilling had a good game .

There was one play early in the game where they had a guy open and it would have been a sure TD and Tre closed FAST and knocked it away. That's the kind of play that shows how special he is going to be.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Folks, it’s taken ‘ol Brant a few games to get comfortable playing MLB under Coach Nate Woody’s defensive system, after playing the previous three seasons with a different system under the previous DC.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Games are much more enjoyable for me if I just watch them and stay out of chat

Unfortunately, when I am upset or frustrated, I go to "chat". All of the 3rd and longs we gave up usually had me spewing some frustration. Again, I think the D is giving MAX effort, as I believe they did last year as well, but sometimes, if you do not have lateral quickness, you get beat.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Sooo...who was it that was questioning that Jalen Johnson should be moved to LB?

Just a shame he wasn't moved there years ago.

Last year Jalen backed up Lawerence at Nickle which is the closest thing to Stinger, an OLB on the strong side in coverage against the pass and contain against the run. He also came in on occasions when we had an extra DB in on obvious pass downs. In prior years I think he did practice primarily at safety and played very good on STs ( key block on JJ Green's KO return).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Last year Jalen backed up Lawerence at Nickle which is the closest thing to Stinger, an OLB on the strong side in coverage against the pass and contain against the run. He also came in on occasions when we had an extra DB in on obvious pass downs. In prior years I think he did practice primarily at safety and played very good on STs ( key block on JJ Green's KO return).

Now he's starting at LB. We've always been slow at LB, and Roof made the position a liability since our LBs had to cover so much space, which exposed Brant Mitchell. Never made sense to not even try a guy with JJ's skillset and length at a position where we needed speed.

BTW, the Stinger position is also tasked to rush the passer in certain situations. JJ didn't play the perfect game against Miami, but that's one of the better performances we've seen from a LB at GT in quite a while. Imagine if we were developing him years earlier...that's my point.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Brant is a whipping boy because he’s a 4 year starter... it is what it is, every team has one. Anyone remember Louis Young, or Hunt-Days. Sometimes getting playing time early sets the bar to high for players and they don’t live up to the hype.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Early this summer I heard J Thomas 28 final position will be close to the line where he can hit people.

He is a big person.

At the NW fla bb high school all star game - he was still slowed ankle injury. He took care till he was opposed by the other teams center who is going to ucf as a defensive end. These two went at each other like a couple of badgers and neither backed down . Lots of allstar game no call contact set the fans screeming.

Kid may love contact to a fault ( Duke fumble on 6).

Last edited:

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The Miami game was as much of a team win as I have ever seen. Defense came up with a bunch of stops and turnovers. ST was really good except on the one kick return, PHIII was booming punts. He is a real weapon. The ball has some funny knuckle ball movement on his kicks that I think makes it hard to catch. Offense came up with long drives when we needed it. That game was won on every phase.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
As someone who played backer ( though not at tech) our backer play just looks hesitant. OUr angles are bad though i never had to play in the era of targeting etc so perhaps the "don't lead with the head" has lead to a bad angle problem ( tackling in the nfl has been abysmal this year in general, and we aren't the only team havign tackling problems this year. Even bama has had some issues with missed tackles. ) I was always taught to stick your facemask on the ball or to the far arm of the QB. But i have seen flags thrown for that today because the runner ducks or moves and you end up in head to head contact.