Brad Stewart beats 5 star recruit Derwin James

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
They talked about FSU DB Derwin James several times during the game and how great he is. Derwin was the consensus top DD in the nation and a five star recruit. Rated as the Number 1 safety by ESPN, Rivals, 247, and Scout.

All I know is our WR from Benedictine Military School who I cant find any stars for must have faked out and then ran pass the 5 star recruit on a 4th and 5. ( You cant see what he does to get open so if anyone knows where a camera was on him for this big play would love to see it)

Huge play and I think Stewart will be a player for us for years to come.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He was wide open . I saw jt wind up for big throw behind perfect blocking and ecpected a back shoulder throw.
Guess the db watched to much film cause I was shocked at how wide open brad was. He did good job of slowing down to get opttimum position and he cradled in thecatch. Hope he can be ONE of SEVERAL go to guys in pass game so we can pass against the second best db. At this time we have no visible smelter, hill thimas, megatron receiver

Declinometer

Banned
If the ball wasn't under thrown it would he been an easy TD. I wouldn't say he "cradled" the catch, he caught it with his hands like a boss.
I truly don't know why he is not targeted more on deep balls except maybe lack of time to throw.

Rocket City Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't remember where I saw the clip but Stewart ran a wheel route and had the option of cutting to the sideline or wheeling up the field. Derwin guessed Steward would cut to the sideline near the first down marker, but Stewart, seeing what Derwin was doing, headed up the field. Derwin actually grabbed at him as he went by but couldn't slow him down much. A beautiful route and throw.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
If the ball wasn't under thrown it would he been an easy TD. I wouldn't say he "cradled" the catch, he caught it with his hands like a boss.
I truly don't know why he is not targeted more on deep balls except maybe lack of time to throw.

every overthrown ball is an incompletion. On 4th and 5 with the game on the line you give your high-pointing sure handed receiver the best chance to catch the ball or draw a flag.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

@Minawreck is right. Nothing wrong with the throw.

Lastly, we love #ThanksBrad but let's not act like he's primeRandy Moss and you can just chunk it up deep for automatic TD's.

Declinometer

Banned
@Minawreck is right. Nothing wrong with the throw.

Lastly, we love #ThanksBrad but let's not act like he's primeRandy Moss and you can just chunk it up deep for automatic TD's.
Strange post from a featured member. If that's what you garnered from my post......well .......(really sad) never mind.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
They made a point of mentioning that while James is very talented, he will be inconsistent due to being a freshman and got beat a few times earlier this year on big plays. I'm kind of glad we're not going to play FSU next year (except maybe ACCCG), those freshmen are going to be damn good down the road.
Edit: emphasis on kind of...I love any chance to play other good teams, but we can't always play this crazy schedule. Look at our schedule vs OSU/MSU/Iowa's and tell me again which league is weak.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
It was a good play call that was well executed by our guys. Derwin James is just a freshman and will make mistakes like he did Saturday night (and I'm glad me did). But let's be honest, the kid played a hell of a game and was well worth mentioning when the commentators spoke of him. I'm sure everyone here would love to add Derwin James to this team

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not trying to vacate an existing thread, but I there has been so much traffic I can't remember which thread the question about how Stewart got open on that big 4th down play late to set up the typing field goal. I just watched it again and on about the 4th replay which occurs after the FG, you can see No. 2, Ricky Jeune at WR on the right, pick off the FSU defender chasing Stewart who was lined up in the slot on the left. Nice. Very quick, very brief, but enough to give Stewart the couple of steps to break open to the sideline then wheel down field. Really well done for two young players. And sorry I couldn't find the original question. We've all been going nuts after a very slow week.