Bracket Challenge

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where to post this but…

Purdue can hang with UConn when they play hard and physical. But they clearly were tired in the second half and UConn is one well conditioned and disciplined team. They just wear everybody out that they play. Scary good team and one of the best I’ve ever seen.
Purdue lost it in the first half when they stopped feeding Edey. Hurley even said that they were going to have to dig and trap to get the ball out of his hands and for some reason Purdue did it for them.
Purdue shot poorly but the biggest surprise was how UConn got to the offensive boards. They had no respect for Purdue in transition and just sent everyone to the glass. That was the real difference when UConn pushed out to a lead in the middle ten minutes.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Purdue lost it in the first half when they stopped feeding Edey. Hurley even said that they were going to have to dig and trap to get the ball out of his hands and for some reason Purdue did it for them.
Purdue shot poorly but the biggest surprise was how UConn got to the offensive boards. They had no respect for Purdue in transition and just sent everyone to the glass. That was the real difference when UConn pushed out to a lead in the middle ten minutes.
Edey was tired and that surprised me. The second half he was not the same player he was early.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, he was missing three foot shots in the second half and even put up a couple of air balls if I recall. He was totally depleted.
People will call me a liar when they look at the box score, but a lot of those “3 foot misses” were aided by a tremendous amount of contact. He plays through a lot of it, but I think refs got worried about foul disparity… especially if clingan gets his 3rd with a lot of time left.
Granted, Purdue didn’t really capitalize when they got to the line either…

Funniest call to me was when Edey went out for 30 seconds and Clingan gets an “and one” on defense Edey only dreams about. There wasn’t enough contact to warrant a foul in any game, much less in a game officiated like last night. Between that one and a couple of bail outs on UConn drives, I was thinking Painter needed to cry and throw up his hands and fall all over himself like Hurley so he could get his guys a couple of those calls.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
People will call me a liar when they look at the box score, but a lot of those “3 foot misses” were aided by a tremendous amount of contact. He plays through a lot of it, but I think refs got worried about foul disparity… especially if clingan gets his 3rd with a lot of time left.
Granted, Purdue didn’t really capitalize when they got to the line either…

Funniest call to me was when Edey went out for 30 seconds and Clingan gets an “and one” on defense Edey only dreams about. There wasn’t enough contact to warrant a foul in any game, much less in a game officiated like last night. Between that one and a couple of bail outs on UConn drives, I was thinking Painter needed to cry and throw up his hands and fall all over himself like Hurley so he could get his guys a couple of those calls.
Refs were letting them bang from the get go and I was ok with that. I just didn’t anticipate that the pace would wear out Purdue so quickly while UConn looked fresh the whole game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Edy's style is to bang the defender to get to his spot. He isn't quick enough to be subtle in any real way. No spin moves and only a couple of drop steps to the left hand. UConn tried to push him an extra step out and then sat hard on his left shoulder expecting Edy to pound them to get to his spot. It was a mutual decision to make the play in the paint very physical. Refs just looked for advantage and called a bunch on the UConn defenders - Think Edy drew 10 or 11 fouls. FWIW they could have called the bumping but that would have been out of character for the way the tourney was called - Note DJ Burns backing in all the way from the elbow whenever he got the ball. Clingan is just a lot stronger than most anyone Edy has played against - certainly in the tourney.

FWIW that wasn't the deciding point in the game unless you think Edy should have had 55 instead of 37. He got his 37 on 25 shots - efficient on any level. The rest of the team got 23 points on 29 shots - not too good any way you look at it. UConn's perimeter players pulverized Purdue. Ground them down going over screen after screen.

Obviously Edy's production tailed off over the course of the game. Part was he had an unbelievably hot first 5 min or so - a pace neither he nor anyone else could keep up. And he did get worn down and tired. but I also thought the realization that he had to be perfect on the offensive end in order to make up for his teammates drained him as well. Came away with 37 and lot of folks are asking why he didn't get more :oops:

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Edy's style is to bang the defender to get to his spot. He isn't quick enough to be subtle in any real way. No spin moves and only a couple of drop steps to the left hand. UConn tried to push him an extra step out and then sat hard on his left shoulder expecting Edy to pound them to get to his spot. It was a mutual decision to make the play in the paint very physical. Refs just looked for advantage and called a bunch on the UConn defenders - Think Edy drew 10 or 11 fouls. FWIW they could have called the bumping but that would have been out of character for the way the tourney was called - Note DJ Burns backing in all the way from the elbow whenever he got the ball. Clingan is just a lot stronger than most anyone Edy has played against - certainly in the tourney.

FWIW that wasn't the deciding point in the game unless you think Edy should have had 55 instead of 37. He got his 37 on 25 shots - efficient on any level. The rest of the team got 23 points on 29 shots - not too good any way you look at it. UConn's perimeter players pulverized Purdue. Ground them down going over screen after screen.

Obviously Edy's production tailed off over the course of the game. Part was he had an unbelievably hot first 5 min or so - a pace neither he nor anyone else could keep up. And he did get worn down and tired. but I also thought the realization that he had to be perfect on the offensive end in order to make up for his teammates drained him as well. Came away with 37 and lot of folks are asking why he didn't get more :oops:
Excellent analysis. I agree. The Conn. guards did a great job defending the 3pt line, not doubling Edy.