Boycott Sweetwater

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I used to prefer Red Brick to Sweetwater - and now that I'm in Colorado, I've realized just how much I dislike Sweetwater in comparison to a large number of better beers, anyway. There are much tastier beers in Georgia; I'm hopeful Todd and Co. will consider supporting a GT-owned business (provided they can get the distribution to make it work).

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean the Walmart on Howell Mill has infinitely more ugag gear than Tech gear... we have to win to get the attention and respect.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the email address. I dropped a quick note to Todd advising him of what has been posted here, and I asked why we should support vendors if they’re not going to support GT athletics. Other people should do the same. I will let you know if I get a response.
I sent an email asking about companies selling products at Bobby Dodd if they contributed to the GTAA and referenced Sweetwater. I wish there was a list of companies that are anti-Tech so I could avoid them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There’s a reason why Walmart carries and sells more UGA gear than any other retailer. They have to stock up for the UGA-graduate employee discount.
You do realize a former CEO of Walmart is a GT grad don't you? They market their merchandise to their clientele. In NC it's all UNC and some Duke gear.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I have been boycotting Sweetwater for many years because it tastes like it was made with Sweetwater Creek water at flood stage when it’s full of sewer runoff, this new info makes it easier

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
You do realize a former CEO of Walmart is a GT grad don't you? They market their merchandise to their clientele. In NC it's all UNC and some Duke gear.
You do realize that was a joke don’t you? However, it is funny and appropriate that thousands of UGA grads had to refer to the GT-grad CEO as “boss”..

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Atlanta brewing company, formerly red brick, is a local business and has a large tap room with tv. Also, sweetwater is Canadian owned, so other than local staff, money doesn’t stay here.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a friend who works at a local brewery. I will talk to him if there is demand, but would you guys want tech watch party at a brewery in Fulton county?
I'd be up for that.

Here's how you boycott Sweetwater and drink better beer:

Need something close to Sweetwater? Just head down Monroe from Armour and go to Orpheus Brewing. Their sours are particularly excellent.

Willing to drive 10 minutes? Head over to Chattahoochee Industrial, where all the breweries hang out:
(Working north to south)

Atlanta Brewing Company (technically off collier, but like 2 minutes away) One of ATL's first breweries, I like the Laughing Skull ale, brewed for the Vortex.

Scofflaw. A wide array of IPA's. Good stuff, and I frankly burnt out on IPA during the hops arms race.

Second Self. GT alumni owned and run, my favorite is the Thai wheat, especially on a hot day.

Bold Monk. A newish brew pub focused on Belgian monastic style beers. Their tripel is good, and there's some real gems in the limited run beers. Also excellent muscles and fries.

Firemaker. Newish brewery with an amazingly broad menu because they focus on breadth in their taproom instead of depth in distribution. This is my personal favorite with excellent porters and stouts, German style beers, and sours. In fact, their lactose sour Chattahoochtea tastes damn well close to an iced tea. Won an award for best new brewery last year.

Steady Hand. Their IPAs are juicy and New England style, their other beers are unique. I like the toasted coconut blonde stout and the double barrel aged (bourbon and rum) stout.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't forget to the east down North Avenue/Ponce you have Torched Hop (15 min walk to stadium and tasty beers/food) and New Realm next to old Sears/beltline and Wrecking Bar at 5-pts.
So many choices, so little liver.
While I've enjoyed Sweetwater in the past, I do tend to stay local with my spending/drinking habits, and when they sold to the Canuck Cannabis company, I haven't bought one since. I liked Kevin's beers better anyways, so would often go to 5 Seasons instead when in town "back in the day".