Bowling Green Post Game... 😢

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow

Folks, what a great interview and how Urban explained what a coaches job is coming into the season. It’s very short and it lets you know where your program is. Ga Tech needs to get to where we need to go bowling. There’s 3 phrases and we’re not to the bottom one yet but it’s coming. I know y’all don’t care about the big 10 but the ACC athletic director does the same thing.

Last edited:

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Notre Dame lost to Marshall last year. Despite taking over a program that had won 10+ games a year. No one would claim Marcus Freeman sucks due to that loss
A lot of people will claim, with good reason, that Marcus Freeman sucks. Heck, a lot of people were claiming Marcus Freeman sucked because Notre Dame barely lost to Ohio State last week.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
Middle Tennessee/The Citadel/Northern Illinois/ and now Bowling Green and a last minute win over Gardner-Webb!....but why must we suffer like this?
I keep reminding myself of the night we beat Florida State on the legendary blocked fg attempt that was run back for the winning TD for a ray of hope, or the upsets of Pitt and UNC last year......but this was awful, we were outcoached, "out-adjusted" again, and outplayed and outhustled. Did I leave anything out?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For anyone else that was at the game today please tell me I'm wrong when I say turnout was decent and our boys got booed against BG or did I imagine that?
Turnout in my section was very low but overall turnout was decent. GT fans booed BG when their players came out (poor sportsmanship) but later in the game on two occasions the fans lowly booed the GT team. These boos came from GT fans mostly in the west stands. There were not enough BG fans to be heard. This was the worst overall performance of playing and coaching in the last 10 years (no adjustments or none that worked) and I saw all the previous coach's games. The O was bad but without any sign of a running game or short yardage game that bridge is just too far. The D was much worse.

Our players did not match up physically at all. Hopefully that was a lot of lack of effort but I fear we will see more of the same against physical teams. Key is doing a lot of the right things but seems to have no answers for recurring issues. I am beginning to agree that things will not be much better until we can turn this roster over. These older players just seem to be too soft physically and mentally. A midget sized RB kicked our butt. At times I did see some effort from Rutherford, J King, Blaylock, Scott, and Biggers. I believe Brooks made a lot of tackles. It was painful to watch how bad we played and it looked too much like the past 4 years.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the type of game where I hope Key has some of that GOL/Saban in him. Throwing stuff, spittle flying, and just ripping into guys. We aren’t especially talented but when that is the case you also can’t make dumb plays.

As PJ said, it’s never as good or as bad as it seems. I saw a team that lost 42-0 to Ole Miss running HB power all game rise up and beat some conference opponents. I saw a guy who sacked himself 10 times against uva play much better just a few weeks later.
We can still improve and win some games but this is a huge inflection point not only for this years team but the direction of Key’s career. Do we fold and end up with 3 wins again or do we punch some teams in the mouth? I don’t know if we have the horses to be a good team, but we have to be better than we were today
The game was a disaster... We need two thumpers that we don't have...our linebackers are undersized and without elite speed....ie #4 Stewart, goes wild on us...recruiting will fix this. The positive is n the post game media session CBK 1. Recognized the obvious and acknowledged the significance 2. Owned up to all phases poor performance with coaching player responsibility....oddly not recognized in the previous regime. we have a long way to go but the path is addressing reality vs. Spin....go jackets.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the team collectively sort of took the day (maybe the whole week) off, believing they’d get away with it against a weak opponent. The first two drives reinforced that perception. Add to that getting a pretty big win the week before.

Anyone who has kids, or has worked as a teacher or college prof (like me) would not be shocked by this behavior. The coaches could probably see it coming. “You’ll need to play your best game to beat Bowling Green” (coaches). “Yeah right coach, got it” (players).

I sort of hate playing these In between teams…just barely good enough to beat us on a bad week.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
This game was worse than:
-The Citadel
-NIU

As bad as:
-Temple
-Virginia Tech 45-0
-Middle Tennessee
-Barely beating Gardner-Webb

I think you have to go back to Furman in the 80s to find games that were indisputably worse (which I’m fairly certain is about when we wore black unis for the first time)

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
-The Citadel
-NIU

As bad as:
-Temple
-Virginia Tech 45-0
-Middle Tennessee

I think you have to go back to Furman in the 80s to find games that were indisputably worse (which I’m fairly certain is about when we wore black unis for the first time)
Barely beating Gardner Webb was way way better for the simple reason that we won.

Football isn’t as simple as points scored. There is a massive difference between 17-16 and 16-17 even though the scores are almost the same.

Good teams find ways to win even when they’re playing like crap. And even the greatest teams will have a day or two where they’re playing like crap. The team that won against Gardner Webb was a good team that managed to pull out a win in a trap game where they were playing absolute rubbish. They were a team with a winner’s mentality. That’s why they beat an extremely good Georgia team which would have many future Super Bowl winners despite trailing by 16 points at the half away at the end of the year.

slugboy

Staff member
-The Citadel
-NIU

As bad as:
-Temple
-Virginia Tech 45-0
-Middle Tennessee

The Citadel is arguably the worst loss in our school history.

Yesterday was worse than NIU.

The Citadel being worse is no comfort. Key and our players have very little margin for error this year. Serious football teams and serious players do not lose yesterday’s game.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Fire Key! Don't wait, you're just postponing the inevitable, digging a deeper hole. Each terrible loss/season makes it harder to recruit players or coaches. What rising 'good' high school football player's image of Tech isn't affected by this . . . https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2023/sep/30/georgia-tech-loses-at-home-to-three-touchdown/
And who the heII do you think you could get if you fire a 1 st year coach during the season. Do you understand it takes more than one year to get your players in you want. Understand the FSU’s coach lost to the worse team in football in 2020 ( us) finished with 3 win and only 5 the next and I’m pretty sure they had better players

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s your Game on Paper:

We were underdogs by halftime:
IMG_0321.jpeg

Our offense was—obviously, to anyone who watched the game—amazing out of the gate and then started to leave the building after 15 plays, and AWOL for most of the game. On the other hand, Bowling Green built momentum about 10 plays in and added to that momentum for virtually all of the game. Defense was overmatched.

IMG_0322.jpeg

If you compare the defensive stats, we look similar (surprisingly, the eyeball test made BGs defense look much better than ours)

IMG_0323.jpeg

Turnovers hurt. Boy, did they hurt:

IMG_0324.jpeg

Special teams were not special, even though the KO returns looked awesome early

IMG_0325.jpeg

Last edited: