Bowling Green Post Game... 😢

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Gotta get better on defense. The team has played tough the first 4 games and had a bad game today unfortunately. The offense has clicked all year but when it doesn’t the defense ain’t good enough to win games against anybody. This was a bad loss but you have to put it behind you and go find a way to get 6 wins. We have to be good on offense to win and the problem is it’s hard to click on offense every week and it showed today. Don’t be fooled by the score, Penn State sucked on offense today but the defense played lights out and that’s what Brent Key has to work out. Gotta give the man time to get this thing worked out because he took over a disaster and that’s just the truth and we all know it.
I agree defense has to get better, that may mean doing something I hate to do during the season. and I agree the offense is better. But what people don't understand when the offense sees the defense play this bad than the offense has to call plays, they don't want to call, and they stop using their running game. I still think Key is a good coach and we will see what changes he makes on the defense after the season.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Yep, folks on here already, ready to dump key but don't realize how much of a hole were really in if we do

Key helped dig this hole
So what's the solution, fire key, and begin a 3rd rebuild?

As crappy as today was, from here on out it's about what key doesn't to not let this happen. I know some don't have it, but I want to believe he can fix this (at least more than Collins ever did)

First fix would be to fire thacker and get the defense fixed

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
CGC just keeps dumping on this program. I cannot believe sometimes how deep the hole is he put this program in. I hate to say it but it will take three years to rebuild from all the damage he did. Unfortunately, he also exhausted the patience of the fan base and even though Key is the right person to turn this around I doubt the fans will give him as much slack as they cut CGC.

CGC really carpet bombed this program.
Well said! We gotta give the man time

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
key coming from the collins staff and retaining thacker makes it really hard for me to have patience with him. he was the assistant coach so whether fair or not he has to bare some responsibility for what happened during the collins era. the fact that he is now the head coach and the same things are happening (special teams miscues, terrible defense, questionable clock/timeout management, team losing to g5 opponents we PAID to come here), makes it really hard to seriously sit here and tell myself to give him more time.
I think blaming assistant coaches for what happened under Collins only makes slightly more sense than blaming what these same football players did under Collins. It’s going to take a lot to flush the Collins influence. 1/2 season will not do it.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

As crappy as today was, from here on out it's about what key doesn't to not let this happen. I know some don't have it, but I want to believe he can fix this (at least more than Collins ever did)

I don’t think anyone is calling for Key to be fired yet, but Thacker is in his fifth seasons as DC. Think it’s safe to say he’s not the answer.

JacketFan137

Banned

if we get to the end of the year and get blown out in a few games, it might be time to at least evaluate what other coaching options are available that we could afford. hanging onto key could end up being just as bad of a gamble as holding onto collins and from what i understand the buyout isn’t as bad as the collins buyout

stech81

Helluva Engineer
key coming from the collins staff and retaining thacker makes it really hard for me to have patience with him. he was the assistant coach so whether fair or not he has to bare some responsibility for what happened during the collins era. the fact that he is now the head coach and the same things are happening (special teams miscues, terrible defense, questionable clock/timeout management, team losing to g5 opponents we PAID to come here), makes it really hard to seriously sit here and tell myself to give him more time.
So you want to fire Key before his first season. Who the heII do you think you could get after you don't give a coach even one year to come to Tech? I guess if you have 30 million dollars call Tech and get them to do it.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anyone is calling for Key to be fired yet, but Thacker is in his fifth seasons as DC. Think it’s safe to say he’s not the answer.
Sure sounds like quite a few on here are already calling for key to be gone

I'm trying my hardest to be optimistic,.because I like key way more than Collins. I'm just hoping he can salvage things this year and turn it around

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
if we get to the end of the year and get blown out in a few games, it might be time to at least evaluate what other coaching options are available that we could afford. hanging onto key could end up being just as bad of a gamble as holding onto collins and from what i understand the buyout isn’t as bad as the collins buyout
I am sorry, but unless we somehow get a crap load of money to fall into our laps, no coach that we would want to hire would ever agree to come here if Key gets fired at any point this year.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
How much time? I’m getting old 😳
Stay at my man. We'll get there.

old man running GIF by RunnerSpace.com

JacketFan137

Banned
So you want to fire Key before his first season. Who the heII do you think you could get after you don't give a coach even one year to come to Tech? I guess if you have 30 million dollars call Tech and get them to do it.
i don’t want to do it but it’s pretty hard to make excuses for him after what we’ve seen so far and he was a part of the **** show that brought us here.

this was a program defining loss and a lot of questions should be asked before we are sitting in year 4 in a similar situation

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I hope Key does not have the same issue that befell Gailey when he refused to fire assistant coaches that clearly were in over their heads. I am sure Thacker is a great guy and his intensity and spirit are infectious, but he cannot effing coach a defense. This is a business and there are other people's careers on the line. There is no place for some misplaced loyalty to an assistant coach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry, but unless we somehow get a crap load of money to fall into our laps, no coach that we would want to hire would ever agree to come here if Key gets fired at any point this year.
Collins made this fan base a little crazy. Tech fans used to be a little more restrained and reasonable compared to other fan bases. Now we want to fire coaches before they’ve even had a full season.