Bowling Green Post Game... šŸ˜¢

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
BGSU won the LOS on both sides of the ball. When you can't run the ball and you can't stop the opponent on the ground you are usually going to lose. Very disappointing to be manhandled that way by a MAC team.

I don't know what to say about us getting them in third and long many times only to let them convert. I've seen this defense before during the Collins years though. It would be third and long and I'd say oh crap, they got us right where they want us. Seems like we sit back and wait for things to go wrong instead of making the plays needed to win. Maybe fire or demote Thacker and let Sherrer have a go?

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
We have a few guys that are good football players, but overall this is same story as every tech team in history, we lack talent and speed, especially on defense. Combine that with Thacker who has no idea whatā€™s heā€™s doing is a recipe for disaster. We were saved in some games last year because of turnovers. Wake forest was a mirage because they are that bad, especially their OL.

Watching this game I donā€™t see much of difference in players between us and bowling green, I would say our players are about the same in terms of talent level, but they wanted it more and put in more effort. Stewart destroyed our pathetic defense. Our LB group is exactly the lability we knew when we lost Ace and Thomas, no difference makers and no speed there.

Going to need a miracle to reach a bowl game this year and hope Thacker is canned tonight.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Coming out of halftime, needing a stop, the defense allows BG to march easily downfield. We get them to 3rd and 8 on the 12 and instead of playing tight, our defense backs up to protect the goal line as if it were 3rd and goal. They get an easy first down against the soft coverage. They score two plays later as the QB runs untouched to the pylon. That is all you need to know about our defense.

The best example of our offense is our center standing at the line of scrimmage by himself looking for someone to block, while the blitzer who ran right by him forces an 18 yard loss taking us out if FG range.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean I agree that you donā€™t air dirty laundry, and I wasnā€™t expecting Key to come out and say ā€œIā€™m firing the DC tomorrowā€, but I was hoping for something more along the lines of agreeing that change needs to happen and therefore will happen. Saying ā€œeverything is fineā€ while the roof is burning over your head is just Collins Era 2.0 type stuff.

Yeah, itā€™s a tough place to be. Key unfortunately has to be diplomatic. Itā€™s an optics thing. And now as coach even more scrunity is on him. I hope he makes changes, but I appreciate the discernment on him to take the majority of the blame and fire

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to pick on you, but this was way worse than a bad offensive game.

After the first 5 minutes, it was a terrible offensive game. Yes, the defense should have held BG to single digits. Before today, BGā€™s offense was one of the worst offenses in FBS. BGā€™s defense was almost as bad (before today). That we didnā€™t score at least in the 40ā€™s is an indictment of the offense.

View attachment 14812
We 100% should have scored more. If you go the garbage time TD we scored 2 ppd which is bad considering the competition. It still should have been enough to win. Our QB had a bad game, and our running game is not good enough to pick up the slack.
Given the low number of drives, I think 40 would be a lot of points. We are definitely capable of 3.5 ppd against BG, but having multiple interceptions doesnā€™t help things.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
these things happened in this game vs. Bowling Green:
1) GT offense failed to make 1 yard on 2 attempts outside the red zone
2) GT Defense allowed their QB to lumber for a 1st down on 3rd and 15
3) GT punt team snapped the ball INTO THE UP BACK'S HEAD!

oh man, is that what happened? from where i sat, I thought it was a designed fake.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
While I donā€™t disagree, Iā€™m not sold on firing Key yet. Team does look different. Itā€™s not a team Iā€™m super excited about, but Im more excited than under CGC
This is where I am too. While this game was horrible on ALL accounts, this is the first game under Key (starting from last year) where there were no positives to come out. But this is only one game. Obviously the defense has had issues all season and we have struggled at times on offense but this game aside I have seen progress from Key. Key won't get fired this year but I would not be surprised to see some defensive coaching changes.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
Just saw in the postgame presser that key said he doesnā€™t have any concerns about his staff. Welp, it was nice knowing you guys but Iā€™m not dedicating any more of my time to this ****show. If you canā€™t see after the last 5 weeks that your DC is not fit to even coach middle school football then you need to go too. God damn why did I ever choose to root for this team.
Donā€™t let the door hit you in the arse. Iā€™m a longtime Tech fan, graduate, and supporter. Heck yeah Iā€™m frustrated. But as a fan, I support my team no matter. And even after today, Iā€™ll support them just as much as if they had won 54-0. So good riddance. šŸ

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Very annoyed at the result but this is what happens when you cant recruit and have to rely on the transfer portal. It took 4-5 defenders to take down their RB after he would go down field for 7+ yards on multiple plays. Yea coaching probably has a lot to do with it but we have no OLine/DLine/Linebackers. Brooks was the guy getting most of the tackles, no reason the RB should be making it that far down field on multiple plays. NIL and conference realignment will be the end of GT.

Sadly the only way for GT football to start gaining relevance is for the state of GA to elect a democratic governor, not from Athens CC. BOR is royally ****ing GT and GT leadership is spreading the cheeks and taking it.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Donā€™t let the door hit you in the arse. Iā€™m a longtime Tech fan, graduate, and supporter. Heck yeah Iā€™m frustrated. But as a fan, I support my team no matter. And even after today, Iā€™ll support them just as much as if they had won 54-0. So good riddance. šŸ
Any fan who quits on this program now better not suddenly come back when things get good again. As upset as I am right now, enduring the tough times is what fandom is about. Anyone who wants to give up now, go ahead and leave, and we won't miss ya.

slugboy

Staff member
We 100% should have scored more. If you go the garbage time TD we scored 2 ppd which is bad considering the competition. It still should have been enough to win. Our QB had a bad game, and our running game is not good enough to pick up the slack.
Given the low number of drives, I think 40 would be a lot of points. We are definitely capable of 3.5 ppd against BG, but having multiple interceptions doesnā€™t help things.

This offense scores more than our offense did the last few years. But itā€™s not the offense I thought we were going to haveā€”I thought we were going to have the WKU/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/USC offense, but our running game canā€™t get going.

This is where I am too. While this game was horrible on ALL accounts, this is the first game under Key (starting from last year) where there were no positives to come out. But this is only one game. Obviously the defense has had issues all season and we have struggled at times on offense but this game aside I have seen progress from Key. Key won't get fired this year but I would not be surprised to see some defensive coaching changes.

Iā€™m going to get accused of hyperbole, but Key has to do SOMETHING. This is a HUGE loss.