Bowl season slide, what's real?

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe it's two-fold. The opposing teams have more time to heal up and get their defensive starters back healthy and prepare for this unorthodox defense, and we haven't had the magical combination of a great O-line with a serious dual-threat QB in our program and a very opportunistic defense. The passing aspect of our game has improved dramatically this year over years past. Losing Smelter has certainly hurt us at least for the moment. Hopefully, we can repair the breach between now and December 31st to keep this element of surprise in our offensive arsenal.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Back up QB. Starting WR and starting punt returner suspended the week before the game (I think maybe a few others?). Back-up punt returner muffs two punt returns robbing us of two offensive possessions and directly led to their two touchdowns. It's not that surprising when you think about it.

Were those academic suspensions?

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
This. The reason our O was so good this year is because of the passing threat that JT-to-Smelter represented. With Smelter gone, we lost that and FSU was able to make *just* enough plays in run D to stop us in the 2nd half and beat us.

Whatever happens in the bowl game, JT MUST develop good chemistry and communication with our receivers for next year.
Yeah, many teams can catch on to you if you remain too one -dimensional and start getting enough stops to make a difference. Being able to execute the surprise pass game all year long has been a critical part of our game-winning ability. We can't start playing too conservative without Smelter, which certainly to me appeared to be the case in the game against FSU.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
it seems like we are playing higher quality opponents in our bowl games in general compared to the Gailey era.

And #12 playing #7. ( and we started off #47-54 or so). Better chances if we are playing #17! I think that may be some of our 1 vs 5 record?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Were those academic suspensions?

I think Stephen Hill was. But the other guys like Tarrant who was our punt returner and a couple guys were suspended for missing curfew or something along those lines. It's been a while though I might be a little fuzzy on it.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the long layoff and timing is part of it, we have something working in our favor this year. Since we practiced and played the extra week, I saw somewhere this morning that we are starting practice Thursday, I think it was. Won't be a long layoff this year. Maybe that will keep us sharp.