Bowl possibilities

Would you be in favor of GT going to a bowl with 5 wins

• Absolutely!!

Votes: 130 78.3%
  • No Way!!

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Depends on when and where we would go?

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I really can't decide how I feel about this .........

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
For reference, for us to make a bowl game with a loss to u[sic]GA, only 2 of the following can happen (If at least 3 of the following happen, we do not get a bowl invite):
Iowa State beats TCU
FAU beats Western Kentucky
UAB beats Louisiana Tech
UTEP beats UTSA
Army beats UMASS or Navy
New Mexico State beats Liberty and beats San Jose State after rescheduling them
Buffalo beats Kent State or Buffalo loses to Kent State and beats Akron after reschedule
UNLV beats Nevada
Vanderbilt beats Tennessee
Georgia Southern beats Appalachian State
Southern Miss beats Louisiana-Monroe
Louisiana beats Texas State

I did some analysis and there is approximately at .4% chance we make a bowl game if we lose to u[sic]GA according to ESPN matchup predictor. So there's a chance! Would be one helluva parlay.
Okay well let’s just scratch some stuff off that list. Iowa State is 4-7, TCU is 11-0. Ain’t no way that’s happening. UTEP could beat UTSA, but UTSA on paper is a lot better of a team. UNLV has been on a slide, and Nevada has won a few in a row so Nevada likely wins. Vandy would seem to be more likely than us for an upset win this Saturday but there’s no way Tennessee allows that to happen. They’re PISSED off following being pantsed by USC jr. WKU likely beats FAU, same with App State and Ga Southern. I’m not saying ALL that will happen but some of that will go in our favor. So we probably have more of a 25 percent chance rather than .4.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Vandy would seem to be more likely than us for an upset win this Saturday but there’s no way Tennessee allows that to happen. They’re PISSED off following being pantsed by USC jr.
Tenn just had their playoff dreams *shattered* and their star QB tripped himself out for the season. Maybe they are pissed now, but if Vandy take an early lead, I could easily see Tenn folding up like a paper bag.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
nm
I disagree. If the players love Key the way they say, then they would be motivated to send him out with a win if he was not named permanent coach and still coaching them for the bowl.
Maybe.

I love watching us play and would love to see a rare matchup. And this team might play hard despite my statement above. But, once you get past that - bowls are earned. And if we are 5-7 we didn’t earn it. Hell the 1995 team was 6-5 and didn’t go to a bowl…just kind of feels wrong even if I can get past the concern.

…I’d still watch, and be proud if we won, so…

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
nm

Maybe.

I love watching us play and would love to see a rare matchup. And this team might play hard despite my statement above. But, once you get past that - bowls are earned. And if we are 5-7 we didn’t earn it. Hell the 1995 team was 6-5 and didn’t go to a bowl…just kind of feels wrong even if I can get past the concern.

If they run out of 6-win teams, Tech earned it by virtue of its twin upsets as 20+ point underdogs. I mean, nobody should be bowling at 5-7 but there are so many bowl games somebody has to go. Why not the Jackets?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
nm

Maybe.

They were earned when there were only 20 or so of them once they expanded to how many bowls we have now and set the bar at .500 screw it. We will be .500 if we only count games key has coached.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They were earned when there were only 20 or so of them once they expanded to how many bowls we have now and set the bar at .500 screw it. We will be .500 if we only count games key has coached.
Yeah, bowls are weird now. A lot of team who go bowling only have 5 wins against FBS opponents, since you can count one FCS win. That means they had a losing record against their own level of competition, but get rewarded with a postseason game. Plus, a lot of teams’ best players won’t even play in the bowl game. They sit out and either get ready to enter the transfer portal or for the draft. The bowl system definitely needs to be re-worked

Before last year the NFL had 12 teams make the playoffs in a 32 team league, that’s 37.5%. Now 14 teams make it, so 43.75%. In college football, 62.6% of teams make the postseason. It’s just a weird system all the way around, but the TV execs and corporate execs keep pushing them. There’s nothing else equivalent to a bowl game in any other sport. It would be like the worst MLB teams playing exhibition games against each other during the playoffs.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The bowl system is kind of fine if you take it for what it is…for most teams just an extra exhibition game that doesn’t really mean anything. Now with the CFP expanding to 12 in a few years you get to a point where there is a clear delineation between the “post season” and consolation games.

But the 6 win thing is important in that it gives teams something to play for once they are out of contention for their conference.

The locations of these games is the strange thing. No one really wants to go. I’d like it better if they just had a ranking of all teams not in the playoff and just started pairing them up for good matchups. Higher ranked teams in the matchup play at home. Teams split the travel cost for the visiting team.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
My concern is long term and next year, so my first thoughts are for the new coach and the time he needs to get everything in order etc., at the same time if the kids want to go then that could be the difference, but my hope is that we don't get an invite so the new coach can do what needs to be done.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
My concern is long term and next year, so my first thoughts are for the new coach and the time he needs to get everything in order etc., at the same time if the kids want to go then that could be the difference, but my hope is that we don't get an invite so the new coach can do what needs to be done.

The new coach will probably be named next week.

If Key is NOT named the new head coach, then he may take another job elsewhere in December. Who's coaching the team that is going to the bowl?

I say we go bowling if:
- We beat UGA
- We keep Key (in some capacity) and get an invite at 5 wins

Otherwise no bowl for us.

/

GTCHE99

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay well let’s just scratch some stuff off that list. Iowa State is 4-7, TCU is 11-0. Ain’t no way that’s happening. UTEP could beat UTSA, but UTSA on paper is a lot better of a team. UNLV has been on a slide, and Nevada has won a few in a row so Nevada likely wins. Vandy would seem to be more likely than us for an upset win this Saturday but there’s no way Tennessee allows that to happen. They’re PISSED off following being pantsed by USC jr. WKU likely beats FAU, same with App State and Ga Southern. I’m not saying ALL that will happen but some of that will go in our favor. So we probably have more of a 25 percent chance rather than .4.
I think the chance is much closer to 0.4%. Basically we have to beat UGA to get a bowl bid or bowl eligible teams will have to decline an invitation.

9 openings, we are 6th in order for APR, so only 3 teams below us on the list can win, assuming the teams above us win or accept an invitation before us at 5 wins.

Above us, win or lose, they get in before us:
Rice
Auburn
Missouri
Michigan State
Miami (FL)

Automatic winners, 5 win teams playing each other:
Miami (OH) and Ball State are both on the list; Miami (OH) already won...that makes it 2 teams
App State has two FCS wins and must win vs Georgia Southern, whoever wins will take another spot...that makes it 1 team of all the remaining.

Some teams are favored:
Buffalo vs Kent State
Louisiana vs Texas State
UAB vs Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss vs ULM

A few are not favored:
Vanderbilt vs Tennessee
Florida Atlantic vs Western Kentucky
UTEP vs UTSA

I think at least 2 of the 7 teams win and it will likely be 4 or 5. We must beat U(sic)GA to secure our place. Let's shock the world!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There are 82 bowl slots available. There are currently 73 total teams that meet eligibility requirements. Below are the teams that are one win away and their opponent and APR order.
(Reference https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-by-conference-with-2022-23-bowl-games-ahead/)

The question is, if Georgia Tech fails to win on Saturday but by virtue of 5 wins and APR rating receive an invitation, are you in favor of them going?

• Rice (994) at North Texas
  • Auburn (983) at Alabama
  • Missouri (983) vs. Arkansas
  • Michigan State (983) at Penn State
  • Miami (982) vs. Pittsburgh
  • Georgia Tech (979) at Georgia
  • Miami-Ohio (977) vs. Ball State
  • Vanderbilt (973) vs. Tennessee
  • Ball State (973) at Miami-Ohio
  • Buffalo (968) vs. Kent State
  • Louisiana (955) at Texas State
  • Georgia Southern (952) vs. Appalachian State
  • Florida Atlantic (949) vs. Western Kentucky
  • UAB (945) at Louisiana Tech
  • Southern Mississippi (934) at UL Monroe
  • UTEP (934) vs. UT San Antonio

My heart says "yes, of course. It's another opportunity to watch the Jackets play football" ........ plus, they haven't quit and have continued to fight.
My head says (last week notwithstanding), we are not a good football team and my subjective mental criteria for playing in a bowl game is that a team should be "good" to get in a bowl game (Yeah, I know, that makes me a terrible fan, so please leave the shaming out).

My heart wins out and I say, "Yes, let's go".

How about you?
I don't think we are a good football team but then about half of those teams that are bowl eligible are not good teams either. This is an exercise in seeing who is the tallest midget left standing. There are, in my view, way too many bowls. The number should be about half the current number, if that. Of those teams listed, none of them with the possible exception of Miami and that is doubtful qualify as a "good" team worthy of a bowl. The whole bowl thing has been blown up out of proportion. IMHO

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we are a good football team but then about half of those teams that are bowl eligible are not good teams either. This is an exercise in seeing who is the tallest midget left standing. There are, in my view, way too many bowls. The number should be about half the current number, if that. Of those teams listed, none of them with the possible exception of Miami and that is doubtful qualify as a "good" team worthy of a bowl. The whole bowl thing has been blown up out of proportion. IMHO
It's just a goal to play for and gets more practice time. Most of them end up not breaking even on expenses. With TV not many people even attend. I guess they are often used to raise money for charity. A lot of the better players opt out of playing now to avoid an injury. I agree there are too many bowls and the national championship playoffs has become what people care about.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The new coach will probably be named next week.

If Key is NOT named the new head coach, then he may take another job elsewhere in December. Who's coaching the team that is going to the bowl?

I say we go bowling if:
- We beat UGA
- We keep Key (in some capacity) and get an invite at 5 wins

Otherwise no bowl for us.

/
Let's worry about who will coaches in this year's bowl game if we get lucky enough to get a back door entry into the bowl field.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's just a goal to play for and gets more practice time. Most of them end up not breaking even on expenses. With TV not many people even attend. I guess they are often used to raise money for charity. A lot of the better players opt out of playing now to avoid an injury. I agree there are too many bowls and the national championship playoffs has become what people care about.
I am so jaded now, that I don't even care about the playoffs unless Tech or UGA is playing. And the only reason for interest in UGA is to have someone to root against. Of the however many bowls that are going to be played I doubt I will watch more than a handful. They are meaningless at this rate.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the chance is much closer to 0.4%. Basically we have to beat UGA to get a bowl bid or bowl eligible teams will have to decline an invitation.

9 openings, we are 6th in order for APR, so only 3 teams below us on the list can win, assuming the teams above us win or accept an invitation before us at 5 wins.

Above us, win or lose, they get in before us:
Rice
Auburn
Missouri
Michigan State
Miami (FL)

Automatic winners, 5 win teams playing each other:
Miami (OH) and Ball State are both on the list; Miami (OH) already won...that makes it 2 teams
App State has two FCS wins and must win vs Georgia Southern, whoever wins will take another spot...that makes it 1 team of all the remaining.

Some teams are favored:
Buffalo vs Kent State
Louisiana vs Texas State
UAB vs Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss vs ULM

A few are not favored:
Vanderbilt vs Tennessee
Florida Atlantic vs Western Kentucky
UTEP vs UTSA

I think at least 2 of the 7 teams win and it will likely be 4 or 5. We must beat U(sic)GA to secure our place. Let's shock the world!
Rice, Auburn, Michigan St all lost. Buffalo, FAU and UTEP lost too. Vandy and Miami are currently losing.
Missouri, Louisiana, southern Miss and UAB won. I assume these four winning means our chances are finished. Somebody want to confirm that for us?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Rice, Auburn, Michigan St all lost. Buffalo, FAU and UTEP lost too. Vandy and Miami are currently losing.
Missouri, Louisiana, southern Miss and UAB won. I assume these four winning means our chances are finished. Somebody want to confirm that for us?
I think I counted 79 bowl eligible teams. The top 3 APR teams are Rice, UNLV and Auburn I believe for the last 3 spots.