Boston College Post Game Thread

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
It's early. I am back to reality - it's gonna take time. Took O'Leary a few years and a firecracker QB tossing to good recievers to get us out of the last disaster coach. Same will go for this time.
After some years in the desert, the fan base is thirsting. Hard to combine that with patience for many in these parts. It's made a few blood thirsty.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Bad coaching lost this game. Where were Lane and Singleton?
I don't know about that....there were so many open passes that our QB just flat missed. He had one of those days that cost him the Texas A&M job...missing open receivers all over the field, botched handoffs and a couple of incredibly poor decisions that became picks. And I don't know what the heck the D was doing on those 4th down plays. We knew with absolute certainty that the BC QB was going to keep the ball. The 1sst one, nobody maintains outside leverage and he gone. Next one, we have outside leverage, but the linebackers fill the wrong hole on the inside and he gone again.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Watched the replays of the first two interceptions.

The DB made an incredible play where he tried to swat the ball away, but pinned it on his own hip. The receiver did him no favors, but that was a fluke play.

On the second interception, it looked like it was supposed to be a quick slant route that Malik turned up field for some reason and let the DB get inside him to get the pick.

I do not think either pass was that bad, but rather poor routes run by the WRs coupled by great plays by the DBs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I think the prospect of a successful season is now over. Here's a list of what I saw today that should be fixed next spring/fall:

• Tech needs to find a reliable RB or two. We had our moments running the ball in the first half, but that disappeared. Tech needs to go out and find a Mason/Howard/Mills kind of player who can deliver reliably when the holes are there. Given that all the players mentioned were mid-3 star types (yes, even Mills) I think we could find one or two.
• Conditioning needs to be addressed in both lines. The linemen are gassing out by the fourth. The easiest solution is to get everybody to lose weight. Out DTs all could play better 20 lbs less and so could most of the OLs. This obsession with piling on the weight and "muscle" as a recipe of success has been completely blown over the last 5 years. What we need on both lines is more speed and flexibility, not more size.
• Tech needs to abandon the present NFL-style O and get a lot more inventive. This would mean a complete shakeup of the O staff, but we have to face it: Tech will never get the talent to run a Bama/Ugag O efficiently. Here's why:

I've posted that clip about 6 times here and it still applies. WE ARE THINKING LIKE THE YANKEES. That won't work. We need to have an O that will deliver using the talent we can recruit, keep, and develop. I don't care what set Tech uses or anything like that, but there has to be an awareness of creating advantages for our players during games. Right now, that isn't happening consistently.
• What I'm talking about may not be what Key wants to or can deliver. But he should try and try hard to do it. More of the same won't help much.

For right now:
• Tech should consider giving others in the QB room a shot at starting. We need more consistent QB play.

Well, enough. I was very disappointed today. The program took a hit from BGU. This one was even worse. It is probably too late to retrieve this season. Tech needs to make changes and start planning for them now.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, I think the prospect of a successful season is now over. Here's a list of what I saw today that should be fixed next spring/fall:

• Tech needs to find a reliable RB or two. We had our moments running the ball in the first half, but that disappeared. Tech needs to go out and find a Mason/Howard/Mills kind of player who can deliver reliably when the holes are there. Given that all the players mentioned were mid-3 star types (yes, even Mills) I think we could find one or two.
• Conditioning needs to be addressed in both lines. The linemen are gassing out by the fourth. The easiest solution is to get everybody to lose weight. Out DTs all could play better 20 lbs less and so could most of the OLs. This obsession with piling on the weight and "muscle" as a recipe of success has been completely blown over the last 5 years. What we need on both lines is more speed and flexibility, not more size.
• Tech needs to abandon the present NFL-style O and get a lot more inventive. This would mean a complete shakeup of the O staff, but we have to face it: Tech will never get the talent to run a Bama/Ugag O efficiently. Here's why:

I've posted that clip about 6 times here and it still applies. WE ARE THINKING LIKE THE YANKEES. That won't work. We need to have an O that will deliver using the talent we can recruit, keep, and develop. I don't care what set Tech uses or anything like that, but there has to be an awareness of creating advantages for our players during games. Right now, that isn't happening consistently.
• What I'm talking about may not be what Key wants to or can deliver. But he should try and try hard to do it. More of the same won't help much.

For right now:
• Tech should consider giving others in the QB room a shot at starting. We need more consistent QB play.

Well, enough. I was very disappointed today. The program took a hit from BGU. This one was even worse. It is probably too late to retrieve this season. Tech needs to make changes and start planning for them now.

CPJ was our moneyball coach. I still believe there was a lot of wisdom in ball control limited possession game plan for what we're capable of recruiting on defense. Unfortunately this plan can meander along at .500 until the right qb comes along like JFN or JT. Even in the end he won 7 games in 2018 with a qb that couldn't throw. That sounds great now. We'd probably extend CBK if he won 7 games instead of forced retirement for CPJ. I think both Deion or Chadwell could have been our moneyball approaches this time. I find it hilarious that Chadwell was ruled out because of his defensive staff when it would be difficult to imagine them doing worse than our current ranking.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Interesting response from KJ on the question about having only 10 guys on the field saying 'I personally don't want to answer that question". I don't know if he messed up on it or didn't want to call someone out for it or if it's something else entirely.
Curious if this is a package problem, personnel problem, or coaching issue, or some combination of the three that left us short on a few plays.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
First of all Castelanos is a very good dual-threat QB, he single handedly won this game for BC and to say BC is a bad team is wrong. They got off to a slow start, but have turned it around and are a quality team. BC isn't the issue, its GT and whatever is going on with our home field dis-advantage ?? This was a big game for both sides on the way to get bowl-game qualified, we were playing at home and just came off of a big win with a lead going into the 4thQ. We are then out-scored 21-0 by the visiting team ... I'm not throwing Key under the bus, I still think he was the right hire, but he needs to see this and figure out what's going on. UNC and UVA are obvious must-wins and are not unwinnable, but Key needs to light a fire under this team and get a sense of urgency !!

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
After a night to sleep on it, I'm even more convinced that our problems are primarily culture related. I like CBK and still support the hire, but there was a lot of wisdom in the fonts that wanted to clean house and start fresh.

At this point, the only option is to wait for player turnover to happen. Despite the poor game by Haynes King today, he has been the face of the offensive turnaround. Sadly, that has happened because of transfers and freshmen - i.e player turnover.

On defense, we have zero depth. We lack impact players, especially at DL and LB. The only option we have is to wait for player turnover.

It was fool's gold to think we would be anything resembling good this year. I think BC is likely better than the perceptions about them, but we had our chances and we **** the bed. Missed throws, dropped balls, blown assignments...like I said, we need some turnover.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
After a night to sleep on it, I'm even more convinced that our problems are primarily culture related. I like CBK and still support the hire, but there was a lot of wisdom in the fonts that wanted to clean house and start fresh.

At this point, the only option is to wait for player turnover to happen. Despite the poor game by Haynes King today, he has been the face of the offensive turnaround. Sadly, that has happened because of transfers and freshmen - i.e player turnover.

On defense, we have zero depth. We lack impact players, especially at DL and LB. The only option we have is to wait for player turnover.

It was fool's gold to think we would be anything resembling good this year. I think BC is likely better than the perceptions about them, but we had our chances and we **** the bed. Missed throws, dropped balls, blown assignments...like I said, we need some turnover.
I’m afraid this is spot on.

Deion type roster turnover may have been warranted, and our only hope, plus getting rid of a few more coaches. I don’t think it’s any secret that money was a major driver for the latter and we had to be judicious about who we kept and who we fired.

As to the former part of the equation, I’m not sure Tech is ready yet to process players out at the rate a non-academic football program would. And, to be honest, I’m not sure I’m ready for that either.

I know Collins is doing his rehabilitation tour now but I cannot imagine anyone hiring him ever again to coach. He is a program destroyer.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

For right now:

I've posted that clip about 6 times here and it still applies. WE ARE THINKING LIKE THE YANKEES. That won't work.
Here’s a coach that rarely punts and always on sides kicks. Pulaski High School. Nine state championships. Coach just moved to D1.

Kelley’s approach is completely data driven, as Wetzel wrote:

Kelley believes, and has data to back it up, that the “opportunity to create a turnover” via an onside kick is greater than the loss of field position from a failed kick. There’s more. His teams also never (or almost never) punt because the chance to run four downs worth of plays is seen as more valuable than field position (especially with high school punters). Pulaski also receives kicks with unusual formations, creating space and limiting penalties and injuries. It blitzes often because “sacks change the game” more than allowing a first down.
Kelley believes field position is completely overrated. The more important variable is turnover margin, he believes.

“You win games by winning the turnover value, not field position,” Kelley told Wetzel.

From Wetzel’s 2018 story:

In Pulaski’s case, it’s attempting an onside kick every time the score is remotely close. Kelley’s reasoning is that turnover margin is among the most predictive stats when it comes to determining a game’s outcome. While winning an onside kick isn’t officially considered a turnover, he says it’s the same thing.