Boston College Post Game Thread

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We were ahead at the end of the third quarter and then if was all BC as the defense collapsed and King threw a pretty bad interception. Defense gave up over 550 yards total offense which is going to get you beat most days especially when combined with 3 turnovers. Who would have thought that Haynes King would have more yards rushing than Castellanos? Seemed every time Haynes took off on a run it was wide open. Watching the replay and live I was struck by just how bad our front 7 are on defense. Defensive line is terrible and the linebackers are worse. Our team lacks talent and simply cannot afford turnovers or penalties. We lack talent and the coaching is mediocre at best but it does not look to be getting any better any time soon. On the bright side, for three quarters it was an entertaining game for both teams' fans until the fourth quarter collapse. I think the players played hard, gave a good effort, but we are just not near good enough on either of the two lines to win very many power five games. IIWII
The game turned on the 3rd and long skip pass that the refs gave BC for a first down and then they hurried to the line and ran another play before it got reviewed, we freaking collapsed after that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We were ahead at the end of the third quarter and then if was all BC as the defense collapsed and King threw a pretty bad interception. Defense gave up over 550 yards total offense which is going to get you beat most days especially when combined with 3 turnovers. Who would have thought that Haynes King would have more yards rushing than Castellanos? Seemed every time Haynes took off on a run it was wide open. Watching the replay and live I was struck by just how bad our front 7 are on defense. Defensive line is terrible and the linebackers are worse. Our team lacks talent and simply cannot afford turnovers or penalties. We lack talent and the coaching is mediocre at best but it does not look to be getting any better any time soon. On the bright side, for three quarters it was an entertaining game for both teams' fans until the fourth quarter collapse. I think the players played hard, gave a good effort, but we are just not near good enough on either of the two lines to win very many power five games. IIWII
I agree completely about the DL, but the OL actually played okay today and has been for a while now. Run blocking is almost up to snuff and pass blocking has been pretty good. Our woes on offense today were not primarily the fault of the line, IMO. We need bigger, stronger backs in there, like Dontae Smith.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Four plays stuck out in my mind:

King throws a comeback route, BC player makes a circus catch while our WR makes a basket catching motion. No coming back to the QB, no fight for the ball, waiting for the ball to come to him, TD BC.

Defense gets a TO, and we drop back to bomb it, good protection, great throw, he doinks it off his hands.

Down 8, third down, BC wr makes a catch while sliding on the ground.

Fourth and 1, down 1, bc opens the Red Sea and qb runs untouched into the end zone.

Just a microcosm of the game, where neither team was that good but BC made plays when needed to and we did not.
King started pressing late and the defense gave up to make it look worse, but this is a game we could have/should have won if we make a few of those plays on either side of the ball.

Key continues to make questionable timeout calls. Going for it on fourth from the 47 was the absolute right call, and we should have in hindsight, but calling a timeout then punting is beyond dumb. He wants to play defense late when this team has absolutely collapsed on defense late in games this season. We are not deep on D. We cannot play NFL ball with this team. We need to take some chances, even if it burns us.

We aren’t an embarrassing team anymore but we are still a long way from being good. Barring some big upsets, we are home for the holidays again.
"We aren't an embarrassing team anymore but we are still a long way from being good." I think mediocre is the word to describe this team. Not terrible, not even average just blah. In the power 5 universe, I would put us well below average bottom quarter but not embarrassing anymore so there is that.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree completely about the DL, but the OL actually played okay today and has been for a while now. Run blocking is almost up to snuff and pass blocking has been pretty good. Our woes on offense today were not primarily the fault of the line, IMO. We need bigger, stronger backs in there, like Dontae Smith.
Nose guard #96 for BC we had a hard time stopping. He pressured our quarterback a lot. Don’t understand why #9 doesn’t play more.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You may have a point about the offensive line but they are not the "Seven Blocks of Granite" either. I don't know why Dontae Smith does not play more but we got stonewalled several times today. That said we rushed for 248 yards and passed for 204 so for those people interested in balanced attacks there you go.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You may have a point about the offensive line but they are not the "Seven Blocks of Granite" either. I don't know why Dontae Smith does not play more but we got stonewalled several times today. That said we rushed for 248 yards and passed for 204 so for those people interested in balanced attacks there you go.
They're a lot better than last year, but like I said, "almost" up to snuff.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
False. Did you watch the game? The play calling was very frustrating. We beat Miami 2 weeks ago. So it was all coaching that won that game, even though we “don’t have enough good players” to play with Miami?
Well, Miami is Miami so I would not use them as a yardstick for anything except underachieving which they excel at.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
this was the first game I didn't like the way H King played. Seem to want to throw into coverage today. and too many drops or passes that should have been caught.
As for the defense it's hit or miss and seems to be more misses.
We need to find out how to fix our problems that play bad when we play a bad team.
In his defense, he is what he is, a gunslinger and he feels pressured to make throws because he knows that the defense will not hold any kind of a lead in the fourth quarter. His decision making today was pretty poor but I can sort of understand it with the kind of team we have. But three turnovers is too many. UGA, Clemson, and FSU have the talent to overcome three turnovers but we don't.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
CBK didn't lose 3 turnovers. Two obvious PI non calls that would have been huge. Dropped passed hitting the recievers in the chest. Too many overthrown passes.

This was just bad play, not coaching per se. Yes coaches are responsible for coaching players to play better but in the end they have to make the plays.

It's early. I am back to reality - it's gonna take time. Took O'Leary a few years and a firecracker QB tossing to good recievers to get us out of the last disaster coach. Same will go for this time.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had a good time at the game. It had the ebbs and flows of a college football game.

Man did we miss Singleton. Never got into a flow on offense without him.
#1, Moore, Lane, Singleton WR s out. Rest cant get space unless allowed to go over middle.

Int on sideline 2 receivers in same place - JUST LIKE MIA. KING THRU INTO IT LIKE HE WAS IN HS

Seldom a clean pocket.
Best play QB scramble.

I bet the pressure difference was amazing BC had clean pocket for at least 3 more seconds

LockeTT has a big buTT