Book recommendation: Invisible Women - a very well sourced book on bias (specifically gender bias)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="yrp, post: 614529, member: 3901"
MWBATL said:
There are huge numbers of women who are extremely satisfied and content with playing the role of caregiver and stay-at-home support person.

Not according to the statistics and studies quoted by this book. Please send me the study you're referring to that made these findings.[/QUOTE]

Well, my information is from Life, not studies. I won't pay for a book to see the data you are referring to, and especially so if it is claiming studies are showing me things which in my lifetime I have simply not seen. If there are Studies which claim women would rather be working 12 hours a day and NOT having a role in raising their children, I simply wouldn't believe it because I have NEVER met a woman like that (wait, I have met 1). If the studies show that women want to be caregivers and have careers that allow them to leave at 5 PM and call in when their kids are sick, etc etc, go back to my comment about Life being a choice of AVAILABLE alternatives.

Animal02

Banned
Not according to the statistics and studies quoted by this book. Please send me the study you're referring to that made these findings.

Well, my information is from Life, not studies. I won't pay for a book to see the data you are referring to, and especially so if it is claiming studies are showing me things which in my lifetime I have simply not seen. If there are Studies which claim women would rather be working 12 hours a day and NOT having a role in raising their children, I simply wouldn't believe it because I have NEVER met a woman like that (wait, I have met 1). If the studies show that women want to be caregivers and have careers that allow them to leave at 5 PM and call in when their kids are sick, etc etc, go back to my comment about Life being a choice of AVAILABLE alternatives.[/QUOTE]
How many women chose to be high risk deep sea divers, work in steel Mills, coal mines, etc. etc. vs CHOOSE to be teachers, dental hygienist, receptionists etc. Yes there will be the one offs and outliers.....but not the vast majority.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@yrp To use your logic, some females are not held back by family issues. Maybe what’s needed for the other is some training for the highly unsuccessful women to overcome their apparent bad life choices that some percentage of successful women seem to be able to avoid? Just curious why you think these unsuccessful women keep making these bad choices. Are they not smart enough to figure it out and start acting like men or something else?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There is one other thing I find basically a flaw in all such arguments. Women have not been powerless in their lives. They have always had tools and leverage they could choose to use to change their worlds, whether it be children, sex, or their willing labor. For this to have evolved so slowly over the course of time...surely life is as it was meant to be. No? The idea that men have lorded over women for centuries as a patriarchy and forced them as chattel into slavery is one that simply doesn't make logical sense to me....

Like so many of today's arguments, it seems to me we are merely arm wrestling about wealth and power (mostly about wealth).

I will tell you what I do find interesting. I find it interesting that levels of happiness do not appear to be closely related to all the western rights and values that people are arguing about so vigorously. People in some of the poorest places often strike me as being happier in their day-to-day lives that people in NYC or Dehli or Beijing. Mine is not a scientific study, it is merely one of observation by visiting many places, sitting and watching and (where possible) talking to many people all over this world of ours. All of these rights people are screaming at each other about...women's rights, LBGTQ rights, gay marriage, etc etc....somehow don't seem to be nearly as big an impediment to day-to-day happiness in places like the Philippines, or Indonesia, or some places in Africa. I find *that* fascinating. It is NOT at all clear to me that western values are the most optimal human conditions for happiness.

LibertyTurns

Banned
People in some of the poorest places often strike me as being happier in their day-to-day lives that people in NYC or Dehli or Beijing.
Money does not buy happiness.

Neither does having your freedoms restricted, having government decide if you should be successful or how successful you’re allowed to be, relying on others for you and your family’s means to exist, not being safe & secure in your environment, unfair application of laws, etc.

Hmm, wonder what parts of the country those sorts of things happen and what political persuasion of people think those sorts of things are good idea?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
@yrp, yo might want to read this article and the related book...it might balance your views somewhat.
Excerpts include:
Boys are in crisis everywhere. They are falling behind academically in 60 of the most developed nations. Boys are 50 per cent less likely than girls to meet basic proficiency standards in reading, math and science. Rates of ADHD among them are escalating. Since the Great Depression, the gap between male and female suicides has tripled in the U.S.

If the boy crisis were a girl crisis of these proportions, a national emergency would be declared. This book should be read without gender prejudice at the highest policy levels.

Oh, and yes, the review is written by a woman.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
it's the feminist matriarchy simply trying to extend their control over the world.

Is it bias that women get custody of virtually all children in divorce cases? Is it bias that there are many, many more jobs as sex workers for women than for men? The silly lists can go on and on...but....c'mon.

The ideology of alimony is also something that just blows my mind. Wait, she’s leaving and I have to pay her because......?