Bolden's Struggles

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So, here's an AJC article on the subject.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/chris-bolden-frustrated-by-inconsistency/ndLQL/

In 11 ACC games, Bolden averaged 4.9 points in the first half. In the second half, the average is 1.7.

“I’ve been trying to figure that out, too,” Bolden said.
I stand by my theory that it's a fitness issue. Or at least that's an area that can help him mentally. Maybe it's not a weight-loss deal, but he's really lethargic on the floor which makes him imminently guardable.

As a shooter of his caliber (and I do think he's got the ability to be a great shooter) he's got to work hard to get open because opponents know his spots, so to speak. I always have Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Korver, etc. in mind. Those guys never stopped on the offensive end. Bolden seems to sit in a spot and waits for the ball or takes awkward step-backs and such. Not a winning formula regardless of ability IMHO.

It could be a question of coaching in terms of what are they actually running (I don't know) and the quality of screens (practice issue?), etc.

What say you guys?

Also found this funny regarding the ACC policy on postponements.
Wednesday’s game is expected to be played. The ACC policy regarding postponements and cancelled games is that games are to be played if both teams and officials can reach the arena.
To heck with all you fans, we playin' ball.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I stand by my theory that it's a fitness issue. Or at least that's an area that can help him mentally. Maybe it's not a weight-loss deal, but he's really lethargic on the floor which makes him imminently guardable.

This has been the story of our season. I believe this last game he made a hard cut and pulled up on a 3 early in the game. He's a threat as a slasher and as a shooter but if he can only do that in the first 10 minutes of the game then he's not useful. The good news is he has the skill, the bad news is you can't work on stamina during the season. The thing is, most of these guys want to play in the NBA (whether they will/can or not is not the debate I'm trying to make) and the hardest transition a lot of players have to the NBA is how long the games are. If you want to play in the NBA then 40 mins of college ball should be easy. I realize it's a lot of work besides learning plays and putting the ball in the hoop, but stamina is a huge need for us. How many games this season have been lost in the 2nd half even with us being out of some of our top talent?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Will they play if there is no electricity at McCamish?
They seem to have played every other game this season there without electricity... ;).

On a serious note I believe most venues like that have a large generator in place for safety issues. Whether it's enough to keep the game going I don't know.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I think maybe part of our fitness issue is that BG actually subs too much, crazy as that sounds...let me explain...

Since BG likes to go around 10 deep on our roster in most games he subs Guys like every 3-4mins. I think in his mind that is creating two things,

-more rest for all the players
-more game experience for more players

Now even though I see what he is trying to do, by subbing that much you also create two negative things

-disruption of a players in-game flow
-the development of endurance playing long mins

By subbing that much we are actually more exhausted because when we are now forced to play a regular rotation of About 7 guys they are not used to playing 30 mins in a game they are used to plAying 15-20, so they are tired.
By the end of season becuse of injuries we will be used to a regular rotation of 7 or so guys but then it doesn't really help us ... :/

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This has been the story of our season. I believe this last game he made a hard cut and pulled up on a 3 early in the game. He's a threat as a slasher and as a shooter but if he can only do that in the first 10 minutes of the game then he's not useful. The good news is he has the skill, the bad news is you can't work on stamina during the season. The thing is, most of these guys want to play in the NBA (whether they will/can or not is not the debate I'm trying to make) and the hardest transition a lot of players have to the NBA is how long the games are. If you want to play in the NBA then 40 mins of college ball should be easy. I realize it's a lot of work besides learning plays and putting the ball in the hoop, but stamina is a huge need for us. How many games this season have been lost in the 2nd half even with us being out of some of our top talent?

Good points. Often people point to depth as the reason why we fade late in games but I just think back to our heyday. We were playing 6-7 guys and were stellar offensively and record-wise (for the most part). Now, granted, we had transcendent talent back then, but it's not like they had an extra lung. Is there such a thing as elite stamina? I wouldn't think so.

Were they training differently back then?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Good points. Often people point to depth as the reason why we fade late in games but I just think back to our heyday. We were playing 6-7 guys and were stellar offensively and record-wise (for the most part). Now, granted, we had transcendent talent back then, but it's not like they had an extra lung. Is there such a thing as elite stamina? I wouldn't think so.

We were probably withholding water and using homosexual slurs to demasculate players for poor performance. The reality is most teams don't really use more than 8 guys, they just use their best 8, we were in the position of using our only 8. I have no problem getting the walkons minutes, in fact I applaud it, but they should never get time in a real game with the result out of question. Maybe we should have our main guys finish out the early games against lesser competition. Either way, stamina is something your can build. They need to work on it this offseason. Except maybe Stephens, he needs to hit the local Golden Corral...

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer

Ever watched the show Stan Lees Superhumans? There actually is a such thing as elite stamina. Its caused by some individuals muscles not producing the chemical thay makes them sore and cramp. Just FYI lol

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ever watched the show Stan Lees Superhumans? There actually is a such thing as elite stamina. Its caused by some individuals muscles not producing the chemical thay makes them sore and cramp. Just FYI lol

Really all they need is a little EPO. I don't think the NCAA tests for that .......

Seriously, some athletes like Lance Armstrong (without banned chemical assistance) have fabulous ability to sustain and recover from anaerobic efforts (high VO2 Max). It must be the same for other athletes and one person's peak performance is 70% of another's.

I am concerned about the strength and conditioning of our players with all the injuries. The injuries all seem to be bad luck, but if it happens for several years, it'll obviously be something else in the training.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Bolden has been a bust in that strategic position.Shooting less than 30% on FGs for season is pathetic.No wonder we score in 40s at times.
Gregory does ok with what he has beenthat is not good enough.He recruited the Pooles whohave been HUGE flops.We are lucky we have the wins we do.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Stacey Poole Jr. should be playing instead of Bolden. Poole can get to the rack and play defense. Bolden does neither. Poole is sketchy with the ball sometimes, but Bolden about as careless and nonchalant as anyone I have ever seen and would probably struggle guarding a desk lamp.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
imo bolden's issue is his poor ball handling.

i would like somebody who has the wherewithal to analize bolden's shooting percentages. catch and shoot vs everything else.

from what i have seen he is a much much better shooter when he doesnt have to dribble. if it were me.... i would design more screens for him and let him have at it. when he has to focus on his ball handling it takes away from the focus he needs when he shoots. at this point in his career he just does not have the handle a quality guard should have. you see this problem emerge anytime he handles the ball before he shoots. doesnt matter if its a bunny shot a shot in the paint or a 3. if he has to dribble before he shoots his % goes down.

this is not to say that he cant become a great guard. i am just saying that he needs to improve his dribbling to the point that it doesnt take away the focus he needs when he shoots.