Bobby Dodd sold out.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
sell 50 yard line tickets for 54 bucks w no Athletic cont, 17 in the other areas and see how fast it sells out for football... Don't kid yourself, they gave away 15,000 tickets thru Home Depot... This is just stupid... the avg MLS attendance is under 30K. Maybe I don't get it. I have tried to watch it. It sucks... JMO.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The campus and stadium was trashed...

That is a shame if true. I tailgated in my usual Tech football spot in the huge field behind the student center and it was fine and clean after the game. Seems like most of the action for Atlanta United centered around the Varsity and the Stadium. Would not surprise me if those areas were a mess given the unbelievable poor handling of the stadium entry and concession lines.

Also, where did you read that Atlanta United gave away 15k tickets? I would also like to know where you were seeing them for $55 at midfield. I paid way more than that for some friends on ticketmaster near the top of the stadium on the 35 yard line.

Attendance and prices will certainly go down as the novelty wears off, but I still expect season tickets to continue to outsell the Hawks and Braves.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Go to the website and look at what season ticket cost... My son told me the campus was trashed. My older son works for a company that sells exclusively to HD, they have been giving away tickets for the past year. Have a event at a college campus with people who don't respect the campus and your prob going to have more trash than normal. It is what it is...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I guess we can agree to disagree on tickets (over 30k season tix sold, prices, etc.). More curiously, I just don't get some folks "hatred" for soccer. I don't like MLB or NHL, but I don't feel the need to tell folks all the time how much I dislike them or post in threads about those sports just to comment that I dislike them. And I certainly wouldn't object to Bobby Dodd hosting some sort of MLB or NHL game, particularly on the terms Tech is getting. Atlanta United is paying Tech well over $1 million dollars, replacing the field, and putting $275,000 into locker room renovations for us. How is that bad?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-contract-details-with-georgia-tech/ZZRVs9sE1YOB61tZ3jWcMJ/

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Like soccer if you want, I was just giving my opinion why the game was "sold out". Will walks over to the stadium at 4:45 am, so he saw what it looked like Mon am before clean up started. Season tickets for soccer are inexpensive. Im all for the extra cash, IF its actually used for the Athletic dept.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess we can agree to disagree on tickets (over 30k season tix sold, prices, etc.). More curiously, I just don't get some folks "hatred" for soccer. I don't like MLB or NHL, but I don't feel the need to tell folks all the time how much I dislike them or post in threads about those sports just to comment that I dislike them. And I certainly wouldn't object to Bobby Dodd hosting some sort of MLB or NHL game, particularly on the terms Tech is getting. Atlanta United is paying Tech well over $1 million dollars, replacing the field, and putting $275,000 into locker room renovations for us. How is that bad?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-contract-details-with-georgia-tech/ZZRVs9sE1YOB61tZ3jWcMJ/

Few reasons;
1. Most soccer fans I know get preachy instantly about how soccer is "the game of the future" and "the world's most popular sport." So? I don't care about the rest of the world. The rest of the world has lots of things that are stupid and useless. Should we start doing them here because the rest of the world likes it?

2. The MLS is trash. Like being excited over AA baseball.

3. Soccer is for communists. There, I said it. I like to call it "communist lawn hockey." Someone else may have said it in this thread already, but I don't want to go too far back in this thread because then I'd have to read about soccer, which would make me physically ill.

If you like soccer, that's great. I mean, I'm sorry your dad left your family when you were at an early age, or you weren't good enough to play any real sports, but that's great for you. I'm glad Atlanta has a "safe space" for you now.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Few reasons;
1. Most soccer fans I know get preachy instantly about how soccer is "the game of the future" and "the world's most popular sport." So? I don't care about the rest of the world. The rest of the world has lots of things that are stupid and useless. Should we start doing them here because the rest of the world likes it?

3. Soccer is for communists. There, I said it. I like to call it "communist lawn hockey." Someone else may have said it in this thread already, but I don't want to go too far back in this thread because then I'd have to read about soccer, which would make me physically ill.

If you like soccer, that's great. I mean, I'm sorry your dad left your family when you were at an early age, or you weren't good enough to play any real sports, but that's great for you. I'm glad Atlanta has a "safe space" for you now.
61186742.jpg

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Few reasons;

To be fair, that was pretty funny. That said, in all seriousness, folks who don't follow MLS underestimate its current quality. It certainly started as a fourth or fifth-tier league, but has steadily increased its quality over the last 15 years. While MLS is certainly not a top four league in the world, it has become a very respectable, top-10 level league. For example, MLS sent the 10th most players to the last World Cup (grouped closely with Mexico and Portugal, and ahead of any South American domestic league including Brazil and Argentina). LINK. There are currently over 200 players in MLS on active rosters that have played at least one game with their national team's first squad. LINK.

The league is also beginning to acquire younger and more in-demand talent. The days of just getting aging European stars is waning. For example, Atlanta United's three top paid players are just entering the beginning of their prime, and are very much in their respective national team pictures (Migel Almiron, 23, Paraguay; Joesef Martinez, 23, Venezuala; Hector Villalba, 22, Argentina).

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, that was pretty funny. That said, in all seriousness, folks who don't follow MLS underestimate its current quality. It certainly started as a fourth or fifth-tier league, but has steadily increased its quality over the last 15 years. While MLS is certainly not a top four league in the world, it has become a very respectable, top-10 level league. For example, MLS sent the 10th most players to the last World Cup (grouped closely with Mexico and Portugal, and ahead of any South American domestic league including Brazil and Argentina). LINK. There are currently over 200 players in MLS on active rosters that have played at least one game with their national team's first squad. LINK.

The league is also beginning to acquire younger and more in-demand talent. The days of just getting aging European stars is waning. For example, Atlanta United's three top paid players are just entering the beginning of their prime, and are very much in their respective national team pictures (Migel Almiron, 23, Paraguay; Joesef Martinez, 23, Venezuala; Hector Villalba, 22, Argentina).

Yep. People have this 2002 idea about MLS, but it's actually not a bad league at all. It's also American, in that it's possibly the roughest soccer league in the world (insert "tallest midget" joke here). I really do believe that soccer will never REALLY catch on in the U.S. until we get pro/rel, and so people have a real reason to root for their local team.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep. People have this 2002 idea about MLS, but it's actually not a bad league at all. It's also American, in that it's possibly the roughest soccer league in the world (insert "tallest midget" joke here). I really do believe that soccer will never REALLY catch on in the U.S. until we get pro/rel, and so people have a real reason to root for their local team.
No owners are going to sign up for possible relegation. Never gonna happen.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
No owners are going to sign up for possible relegation. Never gonna happen.
Meh, US soccer may mandate it, and if us soccer refuses to sanction MLS as a top tier league without prorel, they'll absolutely do it. There will have to be a massive up front payment from the lower level leagues, and increased TV revenue, but US soccer could make it happen.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
How about start a " soccer thread". Since its so popular.

Lol. Fair enough. Happy to have the moderators move this to the non-Tech sports section if they want. That said, nobody is forcing anyone to click on and read this particular thread if they don't want to ;)

Go Tech!