Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would wager there isn't one single fan who would pass on buying a ticket because they can't see the game while waiting in line for food. Not one.

The core four​

Fan’s core four expectations are:
  • They expect the stadium to be safe, comfortable, and clean.
  • They want the view from their seats to match their expectations.
  • They desire a high-quality game.
  • They expect an exciting atmosphere within the stadium.
Lots of sub-details that drive the above. 59% of fans prefer to watch the game from home.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I want individual seats/seatbacks stadium-wide, that would be amazing. Also turn the south endzone seats into a standing area with a beer-garden, maybe a spot for a couple food-trucks that change every game…
Only if there is a big and tall section lol.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

The core four​

Fan’s core four expectations are:
  • They expect the stadium to be safe, comfortable, and clean.
  • They want the view from their seats to match their expectations.
  • They desire a high-quality game.
  • They expect an exciting atmosphere within the stadium.
Lots of sub-details that drive the above. 59% of fans prefer to watch the game from home.
Numbers 3 and 4 are the problems at Bobby Dodd. The stadium is just fine.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

jpw67

Georgia Tech Fan
A friend of mine (and GT CE grad) is in stadium design. BDS is woefully out of date with what modern fans want. I love it but I’m not the target audience anymore. Concourses, sight lines, gathering areas and food court amenities is where it’s at. I do like the Ryan design.
Yeah, this is the trend now, for some time actually. You see this across all sports, baseball especially. Attendance is down everywhere. Fans don't attend games like they used to with the rise in HD TV, social media, etc. When they do go to a game the expectation is for a more social, communal experience. The examples are everywhere: Ryan Field, Progressive Field in Cleveland, the new Raiders stadium in LV, Truist Park, and on and on. If our average attendance is now in the 35-40k range and not 45-50k like it was, we definitely don't need 15k empty seats killing the gameday experience.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Poor sightlines from the concourses exist in a lot of stadiums, even brand new ones, and its usually solved with TVs. If I go to Truist Park or Mercedes Benz, unless you are standing right at the railing of the concourse with no one in your way, you aren't going to be able to see anything going on either.
This ^^^ 💯

Ponte vedra GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd do the same thing in Section 105 at McCamish too, if we're building on this plan.

J Batt needs to get Millennials/GenZ engaged. We are a huge untapped market and the future of Georgia Tech athletics depends on us.
Correct , as a baby boomer , I can barely walk in the stadium . 45 years of holding season tix.
Haha

Ponte vedra GT

Georgia Tech Fan
The other question I've not seen asked, for those in the camp who believe we need 55-60k seats, is why do we have to have any building in the NE corner compromising the stadium architecture? Couldn't we find another property nearby (or at least on campus) to host whatever facilities are planned for that space, separate from the boxes? The fact that Edge was put there doesn't mean we have to forever have a building in that spot...
Good idea.
Tear down some of the frat houses .
Move them into brand new facilities

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
You can use the area outside the stadium for family events and hangouts and all - and they've already started doing this.

But in the stadium? Who are the people who want to spend $100+ on tickets for their friends/family to stand around in a "communal area" and not watch the game from their seats vs just going to a sports bar or restaurant or such for far cheaper?

It just sounds like stadium-owner/builder marketing buzzwords, much like how much ad companies and publishers/media sites will try to convince everyone that actually "internet users want more relevant, targeted advertising experiences."

Now, better video boards and speakers... that's somewhere that could use some improvement IMO.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
It's odd to me that so much $$$ goes into on campus facilities used 6-8 times a year. One of our advantages over every other school in the country is location. If we had a world-class, right-sized facility that--beyond football--could host 15 or 20 additional events (concerts, etc), the revenue possibilities would seem to be very large. 40K to 50K seats. Huge young population on campus and next door in midtown. Retractable roof. Very close to MARTA. Next to the future connector capping project. Amazing setting. Further, imagine the possibilities of a Tech entity developing something like a college-town version of the Battery between campus and Centennial Olympic Park. Our long-term planning shouldn't be cabined by the traditional college football model.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's odd to me that so much $$$ goes into on campus facilities used 6-8 times a year. One of our advantages over every other school in the country is location. If we had a world-class, right-sized facility that--beyond football--could host 15 or 20 additional events (concerts, etc), the revenue possibilities would seem to be very large. 40K to 50K seats. Huge young population on campus and next door in midtown. Retractable roof. Very close to MARTA. Next to the future connector capping project. Amazing setting. Further, imagine the possibilities of a Tech entity developing something like a college-town version of the Battery between campus and Centennial Olympic Park. Our long-term planning shouldn't be cabined by the traditional college football model.
100%. The average cost of a concert ticket is about $122. Organizing 8 concerts a year is the equivalent of an entire season of football, probably more. Add in pre-game or post-game concerts and you can at least market yourself to potential fans.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A retractable roof? Have you priced one of those lately?

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately would be a billion-dollar enterprise and compete directly with Truist and MBS, who are already host events of that size. It would have been a much better proposition around 2010 before Truist was built and started hosting concerts (the Ted rarely did) and MBS was but a dream (the Dome typically hosted concerts in the 60-70k range, MBS typically hosts concerts right in that 45k-60k range)

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
A retractable roof? Have you priced one of those lately?
Nope, but I know that there are many world class venues that have them, and I'm guessing that the economics and/or economic support from state or local governments supported them.

But putting aside the specifics, having a world-class facility that, along with the young population on Tech's campus, would support a college-town version of the Battery next to campus is the type of visionary long-term planning worth considering.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Nope, but I know that there are many world class venues that have them, and I'm guessing that the economics and/or economic support from state or local governments supported them.

But putting aside the specifics, having a world-class facility that, along with the young population on Tech's campus, would support a college-town version of the Battery next to campus is the type of visionary long-term planning worth considering.
It might be an idea worth considering if Tech wasn't $200,000,000 in debt. After spending ourselves into the poorhouse, it's quite unlikely we're going to spend ourselves rich.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
It might be an idea worth considering if Tech wasn't $200,000,000 in debt. After spending ourselves into the poorhouse, it's quite unlikely we're going to spend ourselves rich.
So spending money (admittedly adding more debt) on a 365 income producing development, is, in your opinion, a bad idea. Just wait around for us to win a three-peat and season tix are $2,000 because of demand and all our money troubles will go away huh.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
It would not need to be the GTAA itself doing the development.