Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

jpw67

Georgia Tech Fan
Except it is really tough to do a campaign for new monies to pay off debts. People are much more likely to contribute to new buildings/stadiums. I agree with you that debt is a big issue but it will have to come from general donations vs. directed towards a specific campaign.
I assume we can use the Hyundai money (at least to a degree) to reduce the debt?

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It would also level out the supply/demand curve for tickets. I believe it's an expensive endeavor though.

We're obviously not in the market for a brand new stadium but the new Northwestern Ryan Field is set for 35,000 capacity and would be perfect. https://news.northwestern.edu/assets/Slides/ryan-field1540__ScaleMaxWidthWzc3MF0.jpg

In the realm of realistic possibilities, I'd like to see the Upper North taken down and the South endzone turned into a terraced beer garden.
The best plan yet.

I guess it would be the New Realm Garden.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Hope not... I like my seats behind the goal posts and high enough up to see the entire field. Also, don't have to crane my neck to watch the big screen TV :cool:

Ditto. Also, watching the holes in the line open up is amazing. Used to have a blast watching plays develop under the option. Now that Key has his guys starting to gel, it's amazing to watch the plays from that angle.

Wish people would quit hating on some of the best seats in the house.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully the entire Upper North (as it will be turned into a terraced standing zone.🥃
am I the only one who actually appreciates the upper north? I wasn’t alive for the horseshoe years but after we removed the south end in ‘85 our stadium looked like a glorified high school venue through the 1990’s. The upper north makes Bobby Dodd look grand. I remember when I was a kid going to my first game and seeing the back of it walking up Brittian Drive. I was amazed. Sure it’s not THAT big and it’s only full for big games but it gives our stadium some size and also, some of the BEST views not only of Atlanta but of the game itself are from the upper north.

I also love it because of its quirky design. I love how our stadium is like Fenway Park in how it has to squeeze into the city grid.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
am I the only one who actually appreciates the upper north? I wasn’t alive for the horseshoe years but after we removed the south end in ‘85 our stadium looked like a glorified high school venue through the 1990’s. The upper north makes Bobby Dodd look grand. I remember when I was a kid going to my first game and seeing the back of it walking up Brittian Drive. I was amazed. Sure it’s not THAT big and it’s only full for big games but it gives our stadium some size and also, some of the BEST views not only of Atlanta but of the game itself are from the upper north.

I also love it because of its quirky design. I love how our stadium is like Fenway Park in how it has to squeeze into the city grid.
A friend of mine (and GT CE grad) is in stadium design. BDS is woefully out of date with what modern fans want. I love it but I’m not the target audience anymore. Concourses, sight lines, gathering areas and food court amenities is where it’s at. I do like the Ryan design.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine (and GT CE grad) is in stadium design. BDS is woefully out of date with what modern fans want. I love it but I’m not the target audience anymore. Concourses, sight lines, gathering areas and food court amenities is where it’s at. I do like the Ryan design.
Food amenities, bathrooms, and individual seating/seatbacks instead of bleachers seem to be the main things people want upgraded at BDS. Sight lines are great in nearly every seat in the stadium, and not sure what change would be needed to the concourses or for gathering areas.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Food amenities, bathrooms, and individual seating/seatbacks instead of bleachers seem to be the main things people want upgraded at BDS. Sight lines are great in nearly every seat in the stadium, and not sure what change would be needed to the concourses or for gathering areas.
There are no sightlines from the concourses. That’s one of the main problems.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There are no sightlines from the concourses. That’s one of the main problems.
Poor sightlines from the concourses exist in a lot of stadiums, even brand new ones, and its usually solved with TVs. If I go to Truist Park or Mercedes Benz, unless you are standing right at the railing of the concourse with no one in your way, you aren't going to be able to see anything going on either.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Poor sightlines from the concourses exist in a lot of stadiums, even brand new ones, and its usually solved with TVs. If I go to Truist Park or Mercedes Benz, unless you are standing right at the railing of the concourse with no one in your way, you aren't going to be able to see anything going on either.
Nevertheless… that’s what fans want. Stadium design HAS changed. It’s up to the stadium operator to change with it or not.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Nevertheless… that’s what fans want. Stadium design HAS changed. It’s up to the stadium operator to change with it or not.
It's true but it's also exceedingly rare in college football because stadiums are renovated, rarely rebuilt. Even Bryant-Denny or sanford Stadium would need to be extensively rebuilt to have concourse sightlines.

Would've certainly been nice to build the North that way from the beginning though.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's true but it's also exceedingly rare in college football because stadiums are renovated, rarely rebuilt. Even Bryant-Denny or sanford Stadium would need to be extensively rebuilt to have concourse sightlines.

Would've certainly been nice to build the North that way from the beginning though.
True. But the risk is doing nothing and seeing attendance fall even further.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Obviously stadium owners/teams want things that bring in additional revenue but who’s really not going to a game because there aren’t enough super expensive food options?

Fans want bathrooms, roomy seats, suites if they got $$$, good parking… where on that list does “nice concourses to stand in line for food” fall?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Obviously stadium owners/teams want things that bring in additional revenue but who’s really not going to a game because there aren’t enough super expensive food options?

Fans want bathrooms, roomy seats, suites if they got $$$, good parking… where on that list does “nice concourses to stand in line for food” fall?
I would wager there isn't one single fan who would pass on buying a ticket because they can't see the game while waiting in line for food. Not one.