Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
No. You can't just "present correctly" and buy your way into spending designated gifts for non-designated purposes. The herculean effort it would require to track down donors, many anonymous, and get them to sign legal documents allowing a re-designation would probably cost more than it's worth, especially since a large portion of the money has already been spent in moving the project forward.
Well, here is the next domino toward the ****ing AAC conference. The ACC is about to die, whether figuratively or literally, and in 10 years everyone will wonder, "why did they spend all that money on that building?" No worries, the 18,000 fans watching a D2 product at Bobby Dodd will at least have something to look at during halftime. The good news is at least GT will be a regular on ESPN8.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Well, here is the next domino toward the ****ing AAC conference. The ACC is about to die, whether figuratively or literally, and in 10 years everyone will wonder, "why did they spend all that money on that building?" No worries, the 18,000 fans watching a D2 product at Bobby Dodd will at least have something to look at during halftime. The good news is at least GT will be a regular on ESPN8.
You seem awfully upset about how other people are spending their money.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Brother do you not think this could be slightly more pessimism than realism?
And how would continuing to invest in our football program, the way Augusta_jacket was explaining, lead to such a downfall?

Mounting debt is bad, and tech has plenty of it. But I highly doubt our president and AD have any plans to get left behind with some short sighted spending along the way. This is a long term investment, making sure Tech stays in the long term game of CFB money. It is an excellent business that the rulers and fans have determined is worth continuing to be a part of.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I bet you are fun at parties.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
1. I get you are fine with GT football withering on the vine, but you do realize this is a replacement for the Edge center and as such will also directly benefit all other GT athletics, as offices for basically all sports programs (basketball, baseball, softball, etc etc) as well as athletes' dining hall, academic services, training rooms, are in the building?

2. You seem really upset that we're opening an $80 million facility, when we're inevitably going to get demoted to G5 status. Yet Middle Tennessee (G5) just spent $66 million on their Student-Athlete Center, UC-Davis (FCS) spent $52 million on theirs, North Dakota (FCS) spent $50 million on theirs, and Northern Arizona (FCS) spent $46 million on theirs. It's eye-popping numbers but that's college athletic budgets these days. You could easily argue that we are spending D2 money on this.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Dude. The Edge center has been outdated for 10 years. The longer it goes without a renovation the worse off we’re going to be. It’s not just some building on campus or part of the stadium. It’s literally the hub for the entire athletic department. It’s inadequate for what we need it for, and compared to other P5 schools it’s like a junky storage unit. When you get a recruit on campus and take them to the building they’ll spend 70% of their time on campus in, it needs to be nice. It’s far from that now, if anything it’s a knock against GT. I’m confused why you’re pushing so hard to not renovate it when the money is already there anyway.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
You seem awfully upset about how other people are spending their money.
Actually not upset about spending, just how to spend it. Based on the way things look today, we will have a brand new shiny building and the continued mountain of debt that we have had since the Drad building program. That debt will continue to choke GT and If you couple that with being in a less than elite conference (which is the way it is looking) the debt mountain will never go away and we will be stuck in a state of perpetual poverty. The G5 conferences draw around $7M or so per year (not each, but per conference) where today the ACC schools draw about $17M each. That is about a $16M or so reduction in annual revenue for GT and will, truly, cripple the program to the point where some sports will be completely eliminated.

I urge everyone to remove their gold colored glasses are realize that it appears we are on the outside looking in. The media market argument will not carry water as the revenue model for "cable" is going to continue to change due to cord cutting.

Listen closely to what you hear in the media. Do you hear GT's name mentioned early in the list of conference expansion? Nope. The train is heading down the tracks and barring a miracle we are going to be left at the station.

For this 41 year season ticket holder and Jack Thompson Society member, it's sad to see my Alma mater potentially become irrelevant in football.

if you are interested in a neutral opinion of the ACC please listen to Columbus Georgia's own Josh Pate aka Late Kick Josh.

One last thing to think about, recruits ask three main questions: How much NIL can you give me, how much playing time will I see and how much NIL money can you give me. The conversation has changed men, the conversation has changed.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Actually not upset about spending, just how to spend it. Based on the way things look today, we will have a brand new shiny building and the continued mountain of debt that we have had since the Drad building program. That debt will continue to choke GT and If you couple that with being in a less than elite conference (which is the way it is looking) the debt mountain will never go away and we will be stuck in a state of perpetual poverty. The G5 conferences draw around $7M or so per year (not each, but per conference) where today the ACC schools draw about $17M each. That is about a $16M or so reduction in annual revenue for GT and will, truly, cripple the program to the point where some sports will be completely eliminated.

I urge everyone to remove their gold colored glasses are realize that it appears we are on the outside looking in. The media market argument will not carry water as the revenue model for "cable" is going to continue to change due to cord cutting.

Listen closely to what you hear in the media. Do you hear GT's name mentioned early in the list of conference expansion? Nope. The train is heading down the tracks and barring a miracle we are going to be left at the station.

For this 41 year season ticket holder and Jack Thompson Society member, it's sad to see my Alma mater potentially become irrelevant in football.

if you are interested in a neutral opinion of the ACC please listen to Columbus Georgia's own Josh Pate aka Late Kick Josh.

One last thing to think about, recruits ask three main questions: How much NIL can you give me, how much playing time will I see and how much NIL money can you give me. The conversation has changed men, the conversation has changed.
If I contributed a lot of money towards the new building with the expectations of it being built and the AD asked everyone to change their minds and move the money over to paying off the debt, those donors would probably feel tricked into contributing and probably wouldn't contribute again for an important cause. I understand what you are saying about the debt and it needs to be addressed and maybe you should communicate with J. Batt and see if there is a plan in place to address the debt with a new donation plan. The readers here probably don't have the influence to round up contributors for a major funding program.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Yes the $100M Taj Mahal for our program that is about to be in the equivalent of a G5 conference. Yeah, this makes sense.....
tbh I doubt FSU and Clemson win their lawsuit. and if they do, it will be a while. I don't think the ACC splits up until at least 2026, so we have time to make a case for GT to be picked up by the big boy leagues.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
tbh I doubt FSU and Clemson win their lawsuit. and if they do, it will be a while. I don't think the ACC splits up until at least 2026, so we have time to make a case for GT to be picked up by the big boy leagues.
Agreed. I think the only logical reason for pessimism would be if GT was actively falling off. But are we gaining momentum with big wins, big hires and slowly more fans in seats. A lot can change in a couple of years and personally I see GT changing even more for the better. If our defense takes a step, I think we have every reason to finish this next season ranked in the top 25 despite our tough schedule. Bobby Dodd is full and electric when Tech is that good.

I think the pain of Collins is lingering with some of you. And I understand losing to bowling green hurts. But if you can’t see the huge progress outside of that, remove your blindfold.

Also yeah I still haven’t heard a singular viable reason any ACC team would win their case in leaving without massive repercussions.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Generally I get your point, that there are other things we could fund to improve our position. That said, the money was specified for a particular use. Unwinding the capital campaign that drove the fundraising would be unduly burdensome in my estimation and it is difficult to clearly articulate a process to do so.

While I respect your donations and contribution to both the GTAA and our board, I am not sure the approach you've taken is going to result in particularly pleasant outcomes. It may be more beneficial for all of us to talk about potential things we can focus on to improve our lot as we hurtle towards the (in my opinion inevitable) shift towards consolidated Power 5 Super Conferences.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Generally I get your point, that there are other things we could fund to improve our position. That said, the money was specified for a particular use. Unwinding the capital campaign that drove the fundraising would be unduly burdensome in my estimation and it is difficult to clearly articulate a process to do so.

While I respect your donations and contribution to both the GTAA and our board, I am not sure the approach you've taken is going to result in particularly pleasant outcomes. It may be more beneficial for all of us to talk about potential things we can focus on to improve our lot as we hurtle towards the (in my opinion inevitable) shift towards consolidated Power 5 Super Conferences.
Not that they should necessarily, but they could do a general mailing to all donors to ask who would allow their funds to be repurposed for debt retirement. Then, if they wanted to, they could follow-up with them with the proper paperwork, take what they got, and apply it to debt. Pretty easy really. A big issue might be any matching funds. If that donor agreed, then appropriate matching funds could be diverted, too.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Not that they should necessarily, but they could do a general mailing to all donors to ask who would allow their funds to be repurposed for debt retirement. Then, if they wanted to, they could follow-up with them with the proper paperwork, take what they got, and apply it to debt. Pretty easy really. A big issue might be any matching funds. If that donor agreed, then appropriate matching funds could be diverted, too.
Agreed with not that they should - you run into the potential problem of not having the funds to do the renovation if some portion of the money gets reallocated. Ok you've helped pay down the debt some at that point, but the Edge continues to fall into disrepair because you've robbed the money for the project.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed with not that they should - you run into the potential problem of not having the funds to do the renovation if some portion of the money gets reallocated. Ok you've helped pay down the debt some at that point, but the Edge continues to fall into disrepair because you've robbed the money for the project.
I share this perspective. The challenge is clear to me (we need more money) and while I would (and do) prioritize my money going to the highest benefit that isn't for me to decide how to spend others' donations.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree. Architectural plans are expensive, too. That's a sunk cost at this point. No need to toss those plans in the trash.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It’s being built. Dumb thread is dum. Going nowhere.

Who has been in the edge recently? I went in 10 years ago and it was dated then. This building will be there for 50 years+. It’s a solid investment. We can do another funding campaign for the debt if the AA feels it is necessary.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
It’s being built. Dumb thread is dum. Going nowhere.

Who has been in the edge recently? I went in 10 years ago and it was dated then. This building will be there for 50 years+. It’s a solid investment. We can do another funding campaign for the debt if the AA feels it is necessary.
The Edge def needed to be replaced. It was state of the art in the 1980's... but not anymore. However that heritage museum inside of it was very cool and I hope they find a place for all those relics.