Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My seasons seats in section 218 have been moved for an unspecified time for some renovation in the area. Anybody know what is beening changed in that section. GT is not giving out any specifics beond that my seats are being moved without any timetable for if or when I get them back.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
My seasons seats in section 218 have been moved for an unspecified time for some renovation in the area. Anybody know what is beening changed in that section. GT is not giving out any specifics beond that my seats are being moved without any timetable for if or when I get them back.
Guess they’re finally starting the Edge Center renovation. From the latest renderings it appears they are going to entirely remove 219 and 217, so it’s likely that 218 is gone too.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Bat sent out an email announcing the start of the Edge center Reno s couple of days ago.

Tom Fanning gets his name on this one.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Press the pause button until the conference realignment nonsense stops. Let's say the ACC breaks apart and we are not invited to a P2 conference (which we probably will not be). Why build a new building if we are in a g5 conference like the AAC? We are infinitely closer to that (or something similar, perhaps a gutted ACC) being our destination than the SEC or BigX. Unless we know we are going to be in a power conference we should invest the money elsewhere (yes it would take to buy-in from the donors given the stated purpose of the capital campaign)

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Press the pause button until the conference realignment nonsense stops. Let's say the ACC breaks apart and we are not invited to a P2 conference (which we probably will not be). Why build a new building if we are in a g5 conference like the AAC? We are infinitely closer to that (or something similar, perhaps a gutted ACC) being our destination than the SEC or BigX. Unless we know we are going to be in a power conference we should invest the money elsewhere (yes it would take to buy-in from the donors given the stated purpose of the capital campaign)
Personally I would want GT football to be in the best shape possible regardless of conference. Even if that means USF and Memphis are our biggest games of the year. There’s a chance of failure but it isn’t THAT high, and said failure isn’t THAT bad. Winning in a weaker conference has a good bit cons yes, but also pros.

Also a growing football program, and the things that come with that like continuous big time investments, are a good sign for a P2 conference looking to add more programs that are serious about football. So maybe don’t throw in the towel before the match starts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

All of this completely ignores the fact that these funds were donated as designated gifts for the purpose of this renovation, which means they can't legally be used for anything else...

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Personally I would want GT football to be in the best shape possible regardless of conference. Even if that means USF and Memphis are our biggest games of the year. There’s a chance of failure but it isn’t THAT high, and said failure isn’t THAT bad. Winning in a weaker conference has a good bit cons yes, but also pros.

Also a growing football program, and the things that come with that like continuous big time investments, are a good sign for a P2 conference looking to add more programs that are serious about football. So maybe don’t throw in the towel before the match starts
I agree. We have to build for the future and that provides a positive and potential outlook to outsiders. There are too many articles out there (mostly written during the off season) giving out gloom and doom. The ACC is still in good shape and just acquired more long term sponsorship.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is not going to break apart. If the GOR is tossed or invalidated by the court, the ACC might lose 2-4 teams. It seems that F$U and Clem would go, if asked, and maybe Miami. I am not at all sure any other would go, even if invited.

There are now 17 teams plus ND playing football in the ACC. If the two above leave, there would still be 15 plus ND. The ACC might become more like the B12 than currently, but it won’t suddenly become the MAC.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Standing pat as one of the cheapest programs in P5 football is a sure ticket to not get an invite to the P2. Not only are our facilities behind any P2 school but they are also ranked below most non-P2 schools like Wake, UConn, Air Force, Baylor, Texas Tech, UCF, Kansas St, BYU, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and most of the ACC.

There will still exist mid-tier conferences, the SEC and BIG won’t expand to 30 teams each. We need to invest or we may not even make it to the Big-12 or whatever other consolation prize conference exists post-ACC.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I can PROMISE you. GT is not looking to be in the G5. They are doing everything possible to be in the P2 where they belong. This mentality is what hurts the program more than anything. Stop complaining and donate money to the AA fund and the NIL fund.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Pay off some of our massive debt?

Just …you know…a thought.
I don't know how that can be approached. As much as I'm not a fan of Todd Stansbury, he did get the job done raising money for the IA2020. As discussed a couple of thousand times,Tech has a history of making bad financial decisions. I think we all have that t-shirt. Maybe J. Batt can pull a rabbit out of his hat. He's already done well with field naming rights. I wonder if either Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk like college football?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
All these folks that think they should be able to dictate what other people should do with their own money. Those folks that gave put it on the line for a certain thing and deserve for it to be carried out. That is their hard earned money they put up. If you don't like it then do not put up your money.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
as has been mentioned multiple times, this money has been earmarked for a specific purpose. It is not a bucket of money you can use wherever you like
I just hope it's still enough with the inflation seen in the construction industry since the money was originally committed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
ANYTHING can change course if it is presented correctly and the appropriate buy-in is obtained from the constituents. Anything!

No. You can't just "present correctly" and buy your way into spending designated gifts for non-designated purposes. The herculean effort it would require to track down donors, many anonymous, and get them to sign legal documents allowing a re-designation would probably cost more than it's worth, especially since a large portion of the money has already been spent in moving the project forward.