Bobby Dodd Coaching Philosophy

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve read Bear Bryant’s approach to the game, and he describes it as an amazingly simple game.
  • Priority One is the Kicking Game. Bryant claimed that 35% of the game is determined by kicking, either through kickoffs, extra points, punting or field goals and should be practiced daily.
  • Priority Two is Defense. He said he didn’t care what defense they ran as long as they were stopped midfield.
  • Priority Three was Offense. Didn’t care what offense as long as they could produce one big gain every possession , of course with each possession starting at midfield.
Basic Theory of the Game: Play for field position. Try to get the opposing team to bring the ball out in 10 or more plays, and wait for a mistake. Make none of your own. Play every play as hard as you can.

Interestingly enough, Bryant had lists of all plays, duration, probability of success. Said he beat Tennessee with his Kentucky team running only five plays.

Dodd published something similar, I think it was called The Georgia Tech Way. That’s more or less what I’m looking for but the longer it goes, the more everyone forgets.